Advice on how to choose a high pass filter to put in line.

C

Clayton Mackay

Audiophyte
Hello,

I recently received a pair of Infinity RS5 speakers from my mother that are from the 1980's. I think over time, she damaged the two 6 inch woofers on each pair, as I can hear a continuous and very annoying buzzing when playing them, which comes from the woofers. To deal with this, I removed all the 6 inch woofers, and added a large active subwoofer to the system. I currently have the subwoofer picking up at 100Hz, however I can definitely tell there is a gap in sound between that and the Polydome and EMIT of the RS5's. Now the RS5s are supposed to be played between 43 and 35khz, however I'd like to get lower bass than this which is why I added the subwoofer. But I also want to get those mid tones back from the RS5's by adding new woofers back in. So I was researching if I could add some high pass filters in line with the RS5's after I replace the woofers, in order to filter out anything below 100Hz so that they can be played louder without being damaged. The active sub would hopefully then pick up anything below 100Hz. Would this be the thing I'm looking for?

https://www.parts-express.com/100-hz-high-pass-8-ohm-crossover--266-462

Also, is this saying that this crossover adds 8 ohms of impedance to the line, or is it meant to be put in a line that already has 8 ohms of impedance and adds nothing?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That is intended to be used as an internal x-over, not an external one, so yes it will combine with the speaker's impedance and affect your total impedance.

What are you powering the speakers with? A receiver with bass management will do this for you without affecting the impedance of the speaker, and is generally the simplest method of integrating a sub to mains.

In order to properly replace those drivers, you need to find a driver of similar specs in order for it to work in that design.

C

Clayton Mackay

Audiophyte
I'm using an older Onkyo TX-8511 to power the speakers. There is no bass management port for the active subwoofer. Instead there are just two wire inputs, which I have running from the receiver to it. The controls are then on the subwoofer.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What sub? I take it it does not have a high pass filter (fairly common) via the high level inputs you're using?

C

Clayton Mackay

Audiophyte
It's homemade I believe, I got it off craigslist. I can adjust the frequency on the subwoofer between something like 40hz and 160hz. The problem though is that the other woofers on my infinity speakers are still receiving these low frequencies too and I think it's damaging them at the volume levels I'd like to play them.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's homemade I believe, I got it off craigslist. I can adjust the frequency on the subwoofer between something like 40hz and 160hz. The problem though is that the other woofers on my infinity speakers are still receiving these low frequencies too and I think it's damaging them at the volume levels I'd like to play them.
I doubt the amp is homemade, what's the make/model of the amp? Altho it does sound like it lacks the high pass filter and only has a low pass filter...

You might try contacting parts-express.com to see if they can perhaps suggest replacement drivers, as I doubt you'll find the original drivers; they may have an idea of what drivers have similar T/S (Thiele/Small) parameters to work well enough. You may just need new speakers....

C

Clayton Mackay

Audiophyte
I don't know what the amp on the subwoofer is but that is besides the point. I listed the receiver model above. I'm not worried about the signals going from my receiver to the active amp, rather I'm worried about the signals from my receiver going to the RS5 speakers. There is no bass management between the receiver and the two speakers. My subwoofer can handle high volumes. However the woofers on the the speakers can not handle the low frequencies being sent to them at high volumes. So I'd like to filter these frequencies going to the speakers out, so that only my subwoofer will have to deal with them.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Last edited:
C

Clayton Mackay

Audiophyte
Thank you for the advice. I was considering just replacing the 4 6.5 inch woofers, however I couldn't find much information on what their characteristics are. Do you have any recommendations for more modern woofers I could put into the cabinets to improve the sound?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Thank you for the advice. I was considering just replacing the 4 6.5 inch woofers, however I couldn't find much information on what their characteristics are. Do you have any recommendations for more modern woofers I could put into the cabinets to improve the sound?
As mentioned, give Parts Express a call or sign up for their forums and ask there. They should be able to help you find drivers that would be closest to what were in those speakers.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Oh, they also offer the service of driver repair, so that may be an option as well. I don't know how good/bad that is cost wise, but they should be able to tell you that too. I'd expect the cost might be more than buying new speakers and probably as much or more than replacement drivers.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
The speakers are old. More likely it is an age related thing than just not being able to handle the lows. They were good in the 80s, but age has set in. We know what you're trying to do, it just isn't 100% simple with the gear in hand.

https://www.parts-express.com/speaker-protector-inline-high-pass-filter-300-hz-150-hz--266-200

That might work. It is still a passive x-over so it will slightly affect what the speaker is doing and the load the amp sees.
That series IIRC is difficult to restore in any capacity. I agree that it's more trouble then it's worth. If it were me I'd part out the remaining drivers and move on.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
You can't really proceed the way you plan. It is basically impossible to replace woofers and achieve any quality. There are just too many variables in a woofers parameters to make any reasonable substitution.

I suspect that the foam has rotted out on your woofers. Refoaming kits are available for those woofers and that is your best bet.

Here is a pack of 4.

As far as bass management is concerned an in line filter will not get you any decent quality.
If you want bass management you need a new receiver. However I would bet that if the drivers are repaired you will probably not over drive them unless you play them far too loud.

Foam rot is an aging phenomenon and not an due to over driving. Foam will rot out if you use a speaker or not.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I was thinking it might just be that they need refoaming too, which is normally how you find 80s Infinity speakers since they all used foam or paper surrounds. It is worth a shot if it looks like that's all it is.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis