Advice on completing atmos setup in my room

W

winterbell

Audiophyte
Yo my people. I am trying to build a surround system.

Marantz cinema 50 av reciever
Q acustico 5040 Towers + 5090 center
Kef ls50 metas as back speakers

My crib is about 25 sqm.

Remaining budget to make this 5.0 system into a 5.1.4 system is about 400-500$

Is there anything I can buy that would be good? Like a klipsch 5.1 Reference pack for example?

Based in europe btw. Bless one!

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
You have a nice receiver and good speakers so I would ask what your long term goals are? Something cheap that you can replace later, or something that will last as long as the current system? I think you will find that a decent subwoofer will use most of that budget. A cheap package will get outclassed by your current components. I started with a cheap Klipsch sub and it ended up being a waste of money. I then saved up for a good quality sub and the improvement was very noticeable. I would recommend a good sub over ceiling speakers to start. Then save up and add some decent ATMOS speakers when your budget permits.

So I would ask whether you would be content with a good subwoofer for now, or whether you are set on getting all 5 pieces? Members can then base recommendations on that.

W

winterbell

Audiophyte
I want to complete it within budget. Sub is last priority for me and I would rather have height channels, even if its just 2.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I want to complete it within budget. Sub is last priority for me and I would rather have height channels, even if its just 2.
Those towers are rated down to 40Hz so the bass should be good for most most music and movies. It will be movie sound effects and some electronic and pipe organ music that will go lower, so I would still recommend a subwoofer down the road.

My next question would be placement of the ATMOS / height speakers. Did you plan to go in-ceiling or with an angled height speaker like the SVS Elevation or Klipsch RP-500/R-40? Sometimes the Klipsch get heavily discounted (Crutchfield in U.S.A. has the RP-500SA at $299 marked down from $699) but being in Europe it's difficult for me to find sales. There are also angled speakers from KEF, Polk, Elac and Monitor Audio, some being designed to sit on your tower speakers and bounce the sound off of the ceiling (which we do not recommend).

In general, the boxed angled speakers will be at the top end of your budget unless you want to get one pair at a time. In-ceiling ATMOS will likely be cheaper as there is no enclosure, but then you need to consider where you need back boxes or whether some insulation around the speaker is enough.

Forum members have used the
Would help to know what is available in your area.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis