Advice needed on Speakers for McIntosh 4300v system

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
After doing some research, I am thinking about buying a pair of vintage AR 4X speakers, to match with my fathers AR XB turntable (which needs to be restored), and the MAC 4300v.

I've read great things about the AR 4Xs, but I'm concerned that they are only a great speaker if paired with the right receiver, and that they won't be right for the MAC. I have no knowledge here, and just want to make sure I am making a good decision.

Do you think pairing a MAC 4300 with AR 4X speakers will produce a great sound? Do you think they'll produce great sound if I'm playing music through an AUX cord?
My cousin which is about 10 to 11 yrs older than me started as audioholic in the mid 1960's and I recall him having a pair of AR 3's which I can't remember what they sound like and nor do I have any experience with AR's but I found information and a little history about the AR line and maybe these site's can be of help to you.
www.vintage-speaker-review.com
opinions.com
classicsspeakerpages.net

Cheers...

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
Okay, update:

My father has located his AR XB turntable, which he will also be handing over to me. Apparently this unit may also need some work. What are people's opinions of this machine?

I still need to locate speakers, but based on some people's comments here, and research elsewhere, I have been looking at used vintage speakers on eBay and elsewhere. Recently I came across an eBay ad for a pair of AR-4x speakers. The reviews I've read seem to suggest that this is a quality speaker that has held up over time. Beyond sound quality, I think it's dimensions (only 19in tall) will work well with my small living room. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acoustic-Research-AR-4x-AR4x-Speaker-Pair-Great-Condition-Sound-Nice-/172444202002

What is the consensus on AR 4x speakers? Coupled with a restored AR XB turntable and the MAC 4300v receiver, will they (a) sound great playing vinyl, but also (b) sound great playing through an AUX cord?

Thank you all so much!
I called and spoke to my cousin and the AR's he had were the AR 3a's which he said they were nice sounding speakers and don't recall the particulars about them and you are the authority relating to what sounds good, what sounds good to me or someone else may not sound good to you, that can only be achieved by you, everyone's listening pleasure is a preference...Hopefully this will help with the choice and decisions...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Okay, update:

My father has located his AR XB turntable, which he will also be handing over to me. Apparently this unit may also need some work. What are people's opinions of this machine?

I still need to locate speakers, but based on some people's comments here, and research elsewhere, I have been looking at used vintage speakers on eBay and elsewhere. Recently I came across an eBay ad for a pair of AR-4x speakers. The reviews I've read seem to suggest that this is a quality speaker that has held up over time. Beyond sound quality, I think it's dimensions (only 19in tall) will work well with my small living room. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acoustic-Research-AR-4x-AR4x-Speaker-Pair-Great-Condition-Sound-Nice-/172444202002

What is the consensus on AR 4x speakers? Coupled with a restored AR XB turntable and the MAC 4300v receiver, will they (a) sound great playing vinyl, but also (b) sound great playing through an AUX cord?

Thank you all so much!
I haven't heard an AR speaker in quite a while, but think I heard both AR3s and AR4s back in the day and both were good sounding speakers. Don't know if I'd want to buy them unheard and uninspected on ebay. Might want to read these threads if you haven't already http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?/topic/7292-ar-4x-competitive-with-todays-best/
and http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?/topic/4152-unusual-ar-4xs/

Never used an AR turntable but they had a decent rep back then, might want to search over on vinylengine.com for info (good source for things turntable related, also Needle Doctor's site). What's needed? New belt? Cartridge?

The speakers and your room will largely dictate the sound, the source quality will have of course a bearing on it...good vinyl should sound good as would a good digital recording....bad ones won't. By aux cord are you referring to a digital coax/toslink connection or analog rca cables? What would be on the other end of that aux cable?

M

Michael Major

Audiophyte
Where are you located? I have an inexpensive pair of JBL's that are looking for an adoptive parent if you're in the Dallas area. I've been collecting this stuff for almost fifty years and have waaaaay more than I need.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Hey Michael, and welcome to the forum.
Unfortunately,the post you are responding to is 2 months old, so it is likely he has found speakers and moved on, but you never know...!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis