Advice needed on Speakers for McIntosh 4300v system

saltybs

saltybs

Audiophyte
Beginner here in need of a speaker recommendation.

My father just gave me his circa 1990 McIntosh 4300v receiver. It needs work, so I am about to shell out hundreds to get this thing back to working condition.

That said, my end-goal is to use this restored vintage receiver for three things: (i) with a turntable (I'm young and would like to start to build a vinyl collection); (ii) as a tuner (I listen to the radio a lot); and (iii) with an AUX setup so I can plug my iPod in and listen to whatever.

Other than the turntable and an aux cord, I think all I need is speakers, no? My living room is not very big (350 sf), so I don't think I need large speakers. I'd like to get a set of bookshelf-style speakers that balance value (budget $500 for pair) with the right sound to get the full experience of listening to vinyl through a vintage receiver, but also being mindful of the fact that the system will also be used with an iPod and as a tuner. Ideally, I'd actually like to also get a second set of even smaller speakers - I want to wire one into the bedroom and one into the kitchen (those rooms are right next to each other) so that I when I turn the radio on in the morning it's playing throughout the house. I'm less concerned about what speakers I choose for this kitchen/bedroom part of the system because I don't anticipate listening to as much vinyl through them. However, if someone has a rec for these speakers as well, that'd be great! (lower budget for these)

I really am new to this and don't know anything. Would greatly appreciate some help here. The last thing I want to do is spend $500+ on a set of speakers that defeat the purpose of restoring a quality vintage receiver and using a turntable.

Thank you so much!

saltybs

saltybs

Audiophyte
I'll also note that my budget of $500 is worst-case scenario. If you know of a great set of speakers that meet my needs for far less, please let me know! Would be great to only spend $200...

Beginner here in need of a speaker recommendation.

My father just gave me his circa 1990 McIntosh 4300v receiver. It needs work, so I am about to shell out hundreds to get this thing back to working condition.

That said, my end-goal is to use this restored vintage receiver for three things: (i) with a turntable (I'm young and would like to start to build a vinyl collection); (ii) as a tuner (I listen to the radio a lot); and (iii) with an AUX setup so I can plug my iPod in and listen to whatever.

Other than the turntable and an aux cord, I think all I need is speakers, no? My living room is not very big (350 sf), so I don't think I need large speakers. I'd like to get a set of bookshelf-style speakers that balance value (budget $500 for pair) with the right sound to get the full experience of listening to vinyl through a vintage receiver, but also being mindful of the fact that the system will also be used with an iPod and as a tuner. Ideally, I'd actually like to also get a second set of even smaller speakers - I want to wire one into the bedroom and one into the kitchen (those rooms are right next to each other) so that I when I turn the radio on in the morning it's playing throughout the house. I'm less concerned about what speakers I choose for this kitchen/bedroom part of the system because I don't anticipate listening to as much vinyl through them. However, if someone has a rec for these speakers as well, that'd be great! (lower budget for these)

I really am new to this and don't know anything. Would greatly appreciate some help here. The last thing I want to do is spend $500+ on a set of speakers that defeat the purpose of restoring a quality vintage receiver and using a turntable.

Thank you so much!

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Might be better to scour craigslst for better used speakers than cheap new ones. And you would probably be better off investing in higher quality digital music than vinyl, and put the money saved on a turntable/vinyl towards better speakers yet. You might be surprised at what we Americans throw away, just because it's not the new best thing.

I posted my efforts of my revisited hobby on FB and people I knew started coming at me with hand-me-downs. Some of which is actually very nice, or considered pretty high end just a few years ago. I basically got a quite nice system up for under $400 over the period of about 2 months. Now I have extra receivers, amps and speakers to where I could build a system in every room in the house.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree with Mr boat. you can get some decent speakers for 500 bucks, but it seems a shame to hook up budget speakers to such a nice amp. look around for some deals on maybe some good used speakers.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
First of all, what is wrong with that receiver? A receiver of that date should not cost hundreds of dollars to get it up and running. No matter who made it, a 100 watt/channel 1990s receiver is not worth hundreds of dollars to get it running. An old analog receiver is a pretty simple affair. It should not have major problems. If it has it has either been abused or was a poor design to start with. The strength of Mac has been power amp, everything else not so much. Even then Mac power amps are still not the top of my list.

Your budget for speakers is far too low for a quality system. The sound of a system is almost entirely dependent on the speakers.

The next thing is, unless you have a legacy LP collection there is not a lot of point in getting into LPs. If the best turntables can not compete with well produced modern digital media. There is a lot of folklore and bunkum about all of this. Not that good turntables can not sound very good.

You seem to be on a limited budget. Turntables are not plug and play and need careful set up. Good turntables are expensive and cheap ones a disaster.

Whilst you could put together a decent two channel audio system round that Mac receiver, the world has moved on, and audio/video systems are now the rule. As an old audio guy from way back, I can tell you it is a joy to get a picture with the audio, and a joy to get good audio with your picture. The later is especially true given the sound quality of modern TVs.

It is getting increasingly difficult to integrate vintage audio systems with video, and even if you do the functionality is not good and not handy.

If dollars are limited you need to think this though and get the emotion out of it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd rethink the vinyl thing unless you also inherited the nice turntable and record collection to start with; collecting music on vinyl now isn't cost effective or even particularly good audio. Much better idea to spend the money on better speakers or a modern receiver with digital capabilities.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
If the Mac was your father's and he is original owner, the most it probably needs is some of that 'technician in a can.' I have two receivers here that were off'd onto me because the controls were full of static. Well that and because they were old. But 30 bucks, an air compressor and a couple youtube videos later and they work fine now.

I can understand wanting to revive dad's old stuff. I hope my kids take care of mine when I'm done with it. Even if it's not current, you can still have fun with it and they make good guinea pigs to learn with. There was true audiophiles back then too and what they had to do to get into the hi-fi realm makes for a good study of how this stuff works, at the very least. That MacIntosh is a sharp looking unit. I'd be proud to have it on my shelf.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Folks,

Here's what I found out about the McIntosh MAC 4300V Receiver:

This coveted and rare vintage receiver features 100 RMS Watts per chanel into 4 or 8 ohms, push button switches, CD, FM, AM, TV/AVI, Laser and Phono Inputs, equalizer frequency, monitor, tape copy, volume, mono, lockout, speakers 1, 2 and 3 and more. List $2,995

Check this out: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&ved=0ahUKEwjt_PnswO3QAhUI1mMKHb7CDCkQFghDMAY&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmcc.berners.ch%2Freceivers%2FMAC4300V.pdf&usg=AFQjCNG4d4HsVi0xL68TqwAZeVhVYpcBqQ

I know folks who spend huge dollars for the sound of vinyl but personally I don't get it. However, MAC Receivers were top of the line in their heyday especially if they were of a vintage that used Tubes. I have a buddy who bought a 5.1 MAC Receiver and thought it sounded too "transistor" as he's a Tube Amp Junkie.

I'm with the majority here in advising to buy some good used speakers to hook up to this MAC. Maybe some vintage JBLs or Altec Lansings.

As for starting to go to vinyl , if you want to try it, why not - as long as you know the limitations and costs. I used to have 1200 Albums - all pristine, but eventually gave them up and went digital. Somehow I couldn't part with my Technics SL-1700 MK2 so it's been mothballed for a decade.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Funny thing about wants vs budgets. When you start to explore them, a week or 3 goes by and the budget grows. I never did understand the notion of a closed-end budget with things we want. That's for bills and groceries.

I remember when I was married we had a budget. I interpreted that as, anything I could stash in exchange for some otherwise, consumable habit of mine was fair game. I'd give something up that wasn't detrimental to survival and I'd accumulate a bit of wealth over a few months time. I'd see a new rod and reel or something I wanted and go to get it and my wife would say; "That's not in the budget." lol. . .she was right! :D

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
Why insult that nice vintage amp with speakers that won't and can't compliment that Mac, don't set yourself up for regret & disappointment, take your time and give consideration to the advice, knowledge along with support that's being extended to you here, Listen to these guys, I'm not insulting you but the knowledge and experience combined together here has been around longer than you've been living. They as well as myself have compassion for this hobby and it can be enjoyable & fun but take your time, connect with the supporting cast here, I assure you, you won't be disappointed...Cheers

saltybs

saltybs

Audiophyte
Folks,

Here's what I found out about the McIntosh MAC 4300V Receiver:

This coveted and rare vintage receiver features 100 RMS Watts per chanel into 4 or 8 ohms, push button switches, CD, FM, AM, TV/AVI, Laser and Phono Inputs, equalizer frequency, monitor, tape copy, volume, mono, lockout, speakers 1, 2 and 3 and more. List $2,995

Check this out: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&ved=0ahUKEwjt_PnswO3QAhUI1mMKHb7CDCkQFghDMAY&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmcc.berners.ch%2Freceivers%2FMAC4300V.pdf&usg=AFQjCNG4d4HsVi0xL68TqwAZeVhVYpcBqQ

I know folks who spend huge dollars for the sound of vinyl but personally I don't get it. However, MAC Receivers were top of the line in their heyday especially if they were of a vintage that used Tubes. I have a buddy who bought a 5.1 MAC Receiver and thought it sounded too "transistor" as he's a Tube Amp Junkie.

I'm with the majority here in advising to buy some good used speakers to hook up to this MAC. Maybe some vintage JBLs or Altec Lansings.

As for starting to go to vinyl , if you want to try it, why not - as long as you know the limitations and costs. I used to have 1200 Albums - all pristine, but eventually gave them up and went digital. Somehow I couldn't part with my Technics SL-1700 MK2 so it's been mothballed for a decade.

Thank you! Yes, I am going to go with the consensus here and start looking for a nice set of used speakers.

My goal for vinyl isn't to put together a monster collection - most of my music is digital, and that's why I want to make sure this system can sound good with a simple Aux cord. But, when I have a dinner party or a few friends over to play cards or whatever I really like the social aspect of putting on a record, letting it spin, and then having my guests choose the next album. It's a community thing.

saltybs

saltybs

Audiophyte
Why insult that nice vintage amp with speakers that won't and can't compliment that Mac, don't set yourself up for regret & disappointment, take your time and give consideration to the advice, knowledge along with support that's being extended to you here, Listen to these guys, I'm not insulting you but the knowledge and experience combined together here has been around longer than you've been living. They as well as myself have compassion for this hobby and it can be enjoyable & fun but take your time, connect with the supporting cast here, I assure you, you won't be disappointed...Cheers
Thank you. That's why I turned to this site. I started doing my research and realized very quickly I was in over my head! As I start eyeing used speakers on craigslist I'll return to this site for advice on specific models to pair with the MAC.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Thank you! Yes, I am going to go with the consensus here and start looking for a nice set of used speakers.

My goal for vinyl isn't to put together a monster collection - most of my music is digital, and that's why I want to make sure this system can sound good with a simple Aux cord. But, when I have a dinner party or a few friends over to play cards or whatever I really like the social aspect of putting on a record, letting it spin, and then having my guests choose the next album. It's a community thing.
Yeah, and the hassle of having to jump up every 20 minutes to flip the record.

saltybs

saltybs

Audiophyte
Funny thing about wants vs budgets. When you start to explore them, a week or 3 goes by and the budget grows. I never did understand the notion of a closed-end budget with things we want. That's for bills and groceries.

I remember when I was married we had a budget. I interpreted that as, anything I could stash in exchange for some otherwise, consumable habit of mine was fair game. I'd give something up that wasn't detrimental to survival and I'd accumulate a bit of wealth over a few months time. I'd see a new rod and reel or something I wanted and go to get it and my wife would say; "That's not in the budget." lol. . .she was right! :D
Ha! This entire thing started about a week ago with my girlfriend and I realizing we need something to play music for our New Years party in a few weeks. "Let's get a Bose" she says. "It's simple" she says. Soon I remembered Dad's old MAC receiver. Then I was calling Dad, and emailing MAC repair shops... safe to say this went from "let's spend a $100" to "let's spend 10 time that" and not even have a sound system ready in time for the party!

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Please give us some insight as to what repairs are being contemplated before you jump into them. Spending $1K, unless you are an ardent collector of MACs, sounds ludicrous. That should be a non-starter for a beginner. You could buy a decent used system for that I'd bet.

saltybs

saltybs

Audiophyte
Please give us some insight as to what repairs are being contemplated before you jump into them. Spending $1K, unless you are an ardent collector of MACs, sounds ludicrous. That should be a non-starter for a beginner. You could buy a decent used system for that I'd bet.
Understood. I am picking the receiver up from Dad when I go visit him for Xmas, and plan to get a full quote for repair shortly thereafter. I'll follow up with the thread when I know for certain what it's going to set me back, and what they plan on restoring/replacing in the machine. Already spoke to the tech's at this place, who have confirmed they are certified to work on vintage MACs: http://www.analogique.com/index.htm

They are charging $75 for the estimate, and then from there it's $75 an hour + parts (if needed). Would love to escape with a working receiver for $300 or less, but this thing has sentimental value and on-the-spot I'll probably agree to pay up to 5 or 6 if that's what it takes.

As a I child I always remember the receiver sitting above the TV. I couldn't reach its red power button until I got taller. Eventually I could reach the power button by going up on my tip-toes. I used to love to hit that button. When you hit it, you can literally feel the electric current jump into the machine. You feel the whole thing come alive. Over the last week I've been explaining this experience to my live-in girlfriend, but I can't wait for her to feel it herself.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
At least you got away from the Bose :). Are you in NY area? Might find someone willing to help you look for available gear, or may have something sitting around unused, if there's a location to go by...

Curious, what's your turntable/cartridge budget?

I can appreciate the social aspect of vinyl, we used to gather around it back in the day, but then there weren't any alternatives either. These days I can let people simply choose music of their own either from my collection of vinyl (and played on the tt I've had for 30 years), for those interested, or browse thru my bigger and more convenient collection on my computer or even have them choose something from their portable devices and play it wirelessly to my system thru my receiver. Having a receiver that can handle anything I want to do, including the video aspects, is pretty nice....wouldn't want to go back to old gear that doesn't support it (and still have that gear around too). YMMV.

saltybs

saltybs

Audiophyte
Okay, update:

My father has located his AR XB turntable, which he will also be handing over to me. Apparently this unit may also need some work. What are people's opinions of this machine?

I still need to locate speakers, but based on some people's comments here, and research elsewhere, I have been looking at used vintage speakers on eBay and elsewhere. Recently I came across an eBay ad for a pair of AR-4x speakers. The reviews I've read seem to suggest that this is a quality speaker that has held up over time. Beyond sound quality, I think it's dimensions (only 19in tall) will work well with my small living room. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acoustic-Research-AR-4x-AR4x-Speaker-Pair-Great-Condition-Sound-Nice-/172444202002

What is the consensus on AR 4x speakers? Coupled with a restored AR XB turntable and the MAC 4300v receiver, will they (a) sound great playing vinyl, but also (b) sound great playing through an AUX cord?

Thank you all so much!

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Okay, update:

My father has located his AR XB turntable, which he will also be handing over to me. Apparently this unit may also need some work. What are people's opinions of this machine?

I still need to locate speakers, but based on some people's comments here, and research elsewhere, I have been looking at used vintage speakers on eBay and elsewhere. Recently I came across an eBay ad for a pair of AR-4x speakers. The reviews I've read seem to suggest that this is a quality speaker that has held up over time. Beyond sound quality, I think it's dimensions (only 19in tall) will work well with my small living room. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acoustic-Research-AR-4x-AR4x-Speaker-Pair-Great-Condition-Sound-Nice-/172444202002

What is the consensus on AR 4x speakers? Coupled with a restored AR XB turntable and the MAC 4300v receiver, will they (a) sound great playing vinyl, but also (b) sound great playing through an AUX cord?

Thank you all so much!
The speakers may have been nice at one time but it appears from the photo that someone DIY'd the surrounds and were not very good at it. I do my own, but I don't get glue allover the place. May be fine but that's just what it looks like to me. I don't have experience with the brand, but I have heard of them.

Why I mentioned local Crglst is because a lot of the time, you can get a demo of the speakers in action.

saltybs

saltybs

Audiophyte
After doing some research, I am thinking about buying a pair of vintage AR 4X speakers, to match with my fathers AR XB turntable (which needs to be restored), and the MAC 4300v.

I've read great things about the AR 4Xs, but I'm concerned that they are only a great speaker if paired with the right receiver, and that they won't be right for the MAC. I have no knowledge here, and just want to make sure I am making a good decision.

Do you think pairing a MAC 4300 with AR 4X speakers will produce a great sound? Do you think they'll produce great sound if I'm playing music through an AUX cord?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis