Advice needed: 5.1.2 Speaker Placement

H

hhg

Audiophyte
I'm looking for advice on where to place my speakers for my 20x20 game/media room. All who I've spoken with say that ATMOS is real and I'd like to prewire my house for it.

Due to kids and WAF I'm going with all in walls - considering:
Def Tech RLS II
Totem Kin
Triad Silver LCR
Klipsch 7800
Any recs?

My main issue is the speaker placement - the back wall is a half wall so I can't really put in wall speakers there. Based on the diagram can I pull off angled inwalls on the sidewall? I've read that I can't have inceiling surrounds if I want the atmos effect.

Appreciate any input

Attachments

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
hhg,
Welcome to the forum and thanks for providing such a detailed diagram.

What you have sketched out is an Atmos 5.1.2 configuration click on the provided link for more precise placement advice from Dolby. In this room, given the stair/partial back wall, I agree with you on forgoing an attempt at a 7.1.2 configuration (i.e. with rear-surround speakers). In-walls for all speaekrs, except the Atmos speakers, is a good idea given your stated constraints. Personally, I would lobby emphatically with the "boss" to allow the front three L/C/R speakers to be either bookshelf speakers on stands or at least on-wall, instead of in-wall.

A couple points-to-ponder are provided below:
NOTE: all L/R references are in relation to being seated on the couch facing the screen.

1) FYI: The diagram's left and right speaker labels are backwards; i.e. the "left speaker" (front or surround) should be in relation to the listener's perspective, not the reader's perspective.
2) Consider moving the left Front and left Atmos speaker a bit towards the room center (away from the attic access/return air wall) to place them more symmetric in relation to the seating location. Your ceiling construction may allow or impede this advice (unknown to me ATT).
3) Consider pre-wiring three sub locations; the one you show to the right of the screen, another one on the left side of the screen, and another one in the back right corner of the room on the side-wall (~ under the speaker labeled "LS"--which is actually the right surround speaker).

When you get a chance please provide a diagram of the vertical speaker placement to get a sanity check on this aspect of plan.

Cheers,
XEagleDriver

Last edited:
WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

By “angled inwalls” I take it that the side walls aren’t straight-up vertical? If so it will work fine. Make sure they’re at least 5-6 ft. above the seating, if possible. I’d also move them rearward a foot or two. Personally I prefer the back speakers to be a bit behind the sofa - actually "enveloping" around you instead of "at the sides and forward."

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

H

hhg

Audiophyte
Thanks for the input!! XEagleDriver thanks for the clarification on the speaker setup! Agree on moving left inward. I'm not sure what you mean by vertical screen placement diagram. Center speaker will be vertical behind AT screen left and right will be vertical just outside screen.

Wayne:
The walls are straight up vertical. Sorry wrong terminology - quite green with all this av stuff. The more I know the more confused I get!!

What I meant was would this work on a side wall with swiveling tweeters to compensate for the fact that I can't place it on the back wall?

Or should I forego the whole ATMOS setup and go for a 7.1 with 4 surrounds being in ceiling?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

What I meant was would this work on a side wall with swiveling tweeters to compensate for the fact that I can't place it on the back wall?
I’d still stick with my recommendations – 5-6 ft. high, at least a couple ft behind the sofa. You can start with the tweeter angled towards the sofa. The surrounds are supposed to be for ambience and should not be a distraction from the front soundstage. If you feel you’re always “aware” of the surrounds, then try pointing the tweeters straight ahead (e.g. firing directly at the opposite wall).

Or should I forego the whole ATMOS setup and go for a 7.1 with 4 surrounds being in ceiling?
I’d stick with what you already have planned.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

H

hhg

Audiophyte
Thanks I'll take the suggestion - one last question...

Should I consider placing the rear surround in ceiling with a 30-45 degree angle? Or is it preferable to leave it on the side wall for vertical separation between surround and top middle?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

You’ll definitely get more separation of the rear channels with them in the side walls. If you put them overhead, they’ll have to be closer to the sofa, which will not only get less separation but will also make them more “obvious,” audibly-speaking – i.e. a distraction.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

H

hhg

Audiophyte
What rear speakers wound you recommend for this setup? Not looking to spend too much as I'm at the edge of my budget with the totems and subwoofer

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis