Advice for the music lover different ?

E

EastMarkME

Audiophyte
90% music. System is...
Yamaha RX V781
Pair of HK 2 channel amps (one outdoor Zone 2/one on 6T towers )
All Aperion speakers/subs

2 6T towers
1. 6C Center
4 6B Surrounds
2 8D powered Subs

Zone 2 is outdoors. 4 Niles speakers with the HK amp

Watched the set up Audioholics vid saying set all to small in setup....but Im 90% music.

Does that effect your recomendation of all "small" with a 80 crossover ?

Also, think I will I miss the 140W of my RXV 2700 when I hook up this 781 (95w) tomorrow ?
This is a 16 x 32 room vaulted ceilings with 2 subs in diagonal corners basicly.

Thanks for any advice !

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
All small vs large means is use bass management or not. While I'd prefer more capable subs than the ones you have, especially in such a large room, yours may well have more capability than your speakers (as well as the subs' advantage of being able to be positioned better for the frequencies involved than your speakers) so I'd start with using bass management and set your speakers to small. The difference in avr power is trival, less than 2dB (and won't matter for the channels using external amps either).

E

EastMarkME

Audiophyte
Yikes ! That was a fast reply !

Really appreciate your advice. I wondered if the 6T Towers might be capable of pitching in with some LF...but will try the Bass mgt route first with all on small.

So much advice I see geared to HT movies so I wonder how my mix of music which is not the norm. Thanks again.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
For some reason it popped into my alerts queue...not sure how that works. I use my multi-ch gear for both music and movies. Good sound reproduction is good sound reproduction but speakers like the 6t don't have much lower bass capability let alone being able to optimally positioned for best bass. I use multiple much larger subs in a room similar to yours in size (but with regular ceiling but also open to other areas--is yours a sealed or open room?).

E

EastMarkME

Audiophyte
Post and Beam home...open to the ridge/with a loft. One sub is in the back end in the loft right at the edge opposite side of my main sub near the towers ....mainly for fill.

Next thing I would change is my subs to something else powered only larger.

Appreciate your quick response

E

EastMarkME

Audiophyte
Havent switched from the 2700 to the 781 yet but looked at my settings. They eere all on small but actually think the sound was better on large....evidence I need bigger subs.

When I hook the 781 this week I will experiment with small upping my existing subs some more.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis