Add additional speakers

F

fred1942

Audioholic Intern
I have a very large home theater room. Receiver is Onkyo TX NR-5009 with 11.2 speakers attached. I have an Emotiva XPR3 connected to receiver to drive the front left, right and center speakers. My speakers are Goldenear Triton 2. I would like to add Miller & Kreisel S-150 left and right front to fill in a gap. What is the best way to add these speakers without loss of volume and have a balanced sound from the two left and rights? All my speakers are 4 ohm.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
First off, any time you add more speakers than your amp intended is a risky proposition.

Second, since connecting them in series will cause a loss in volume.

Third, having dissimilar speakers will result in unbalanced sound.

Finally, since you will need to connect the speakers in parallel, you'll bedealing with a nominal 2 ohm load on the amp. Not really healthy for an amp.

Now, if you add a separate power amp for the additional front speakers, all except # 3 will be alleviated.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
you don't need more speakers, what you need is a proper large room speakers.
For example only a pair of these will fill largest of rooms with clean sound:
http://jtrspeakers.com/home-audio/noesis-228ht/

I love to post this video to give you some idea what JTR speakers could do:

Last edited:
F

fred1942

Audioholic Intern
I have the Emotiva XPR3 connected to the pre outs of the receiver for the front LRC speakers. Can I also use the receiver speaker terminals for LRC to drive another set of speakers, or does connecting the amp to the pre outs disable the receiver speaker connections?

F

fred1942

Audioholic Intern
Let me explain what I am trying to do. My theater is 42 feet wide by 70 feet long. I would like to add additional front left and right speakers to give me a wider sound stage. What equipment do I need in addition to what I have to achieve this and how do I hook it up?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
how many seats do you have? 42x70ft doesn't sound like any room I know, but more like proper theater...

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Let me explain what I am trying to do. My theater is 42 feet wide by 70 feet long. I would like to add additional front left and right speakers to give me a wider sound stage. What equipment do I need in addition to what I have to achieve this and how do I hook it up?
How big is the screen in that theater? How far away are the first and last seats?
More speakers with the same signal going to them will not create a bigger soundstage, I don't think.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
My theater is 42 feet wide by 70 feet long.
My whole apartment is about 40x20 feet! This has to be a commercial cinema setup or a gargantuan studio apartment. You need to be looking into pro-audio options (like the ones BSA linked). Basically, high efficiency and high SPL capable.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
What equipment do I need in addition to what I have to achieve this and how do I hook it up?
I don't know. But the fact that what you want to do is not a simple plug-n-go operation should tell you something.

2 speakers playing the same thing will cause you problems as their sound waves interfere... some freqs boosted and some diminished. The farther the 2 speakers are from each other, the worse the effect.

So the 2 speakers right next to each other is the best situation. And if you're going to put them right next to each other, a better single speaker is a better choice.

If you go thru the exercise of having 2 Lefts and 2 Rights, don't be too surprised when the desired "wider sound stage" is not what you get.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis