Adam's SVS SB13-Ultra Review

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
If you don't, I'm going to ask them if I can buy your demo as long as you sign the back of it.
Might be tough to talk them into that. My autograph isn't worth much, but Ed might want to keep it once he notices Niki's paw print next to it.

:D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I just realized that I forgot to give a "guest starring" credit to the FedEx driver. Oops. :eek:

He was a good guy. He wheeled it right up to my door and helped me get it inside.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
I did think about asking if I could buy it at a discount, seeing as how it would at least save them the cost of having it shipped back. :) But, they never mentioned that, and I tend not to push things. Well, that and despite knowing that the black oak is better for me...I can't help craving the gloss black. My preciouuuus.
Dude u gotta do gloss black to match the NHTs.

Great review, Adam. I'm considering an upgrade now.

DJ

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
I just realized that I forgot to give a "guest starring" credit to the FedEx driver. Oops. :eek:

He was a good guy. He wheeled it right up to my door and helped me get it inside.
Um, ya I rrrrreeeeeaaaalllyyy don't want to see how that video turned out.

DJ

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Dude u gotta do gloss black to match the NHTs.
Oh, I hear ya. That's part of what tempts me about it.

On a related note, I'm assembling my new speaker stands to set up the pair of 1.5s that I ordered recently for 7.1.

Great review, Adam. I'm considering an upgrade now.
Thanks, DJ! It truly is an awesome performer. I can't imagine that your dual setup is any slouch, though. :)

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
On a similar note, how did you like using MCAAC.

OMG, this is too easy.

I voted for you Adam because you are the most fun out of all the reviewers.

DJ

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
On a similar note, how did you like using MCAAC.
Oh, it's really, really easy to use. My VSX-23 does have some more manual options that involve multiple positions (I just can't avoid saying these things now :eek: :D), but I just run the full auto routine and then adjust my speakers to "small" because it always sets them to "large." The full auto routine involves (a) hooking up the included microphone, (b) placing the microphone, and (c) starting the routine. It couldn't be easier. I think the results are a definite improvement over not using it. I still remember getting my first receiver with auto calibration (it was also a Pioneer in 2005) and being blown away by how much better my system sounded.

Ed at SVS recommends setting the volume on the sub to the highest level possible and setting the output on the receiver lower as needed. He says that the amp performs better that way. I had to turn the volume on the sub down a bit because otherwise the output was too high for MCAAC to get all speaker levels set evenly. No complaints there :D, as it meant that the sub had plenty of oomph for my room. I only had to set it down to about -5 dB to get the routine to run, so not bad at all.

I voted for you Adam because you are the most fun of all the reviewers.
Thanks, and that's really nice of you to say!

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Oh, it's really, really easy to use. My VSX-23 does have some more manual options that involve multiple positions (I just can't avoid saying these things now :eek: :D), but I just run the full auto routine and then adjust my speakers to "small" because it always sets them to "large." The full auto routine involves (a) hooking up the included microphone, (b) placing the microphone, and (c) starting the routine. It couldn't be easier. I think the results are a definite improvement over not using it. I still remember getting my first receiver with auto calibration (it was also a Pioneer in 2005) and being blown away by how much better my system sounded.

Ed at SVS recommends setting the volume on the sub to the highest level possible and setting the output on the receiver lower as needed. He says that the amp performs better that way. I had to turn the volume on the sub down a bit because otherwise the output was too high for MCAAC to get all speaker levels set evenly. No complaints there :D, as it meant that the sub had plenty of oomph for my room. I only had to set it down to about -5 dB to get the routine to run, so not bad at all.

Thanks, and that's really nice of you to say!
I have Audyssey on the Onkyo in the house (yes, I have a dedicated music room separate from the house), but I've never messed with it. I find tuning by ear to b so much easier and a helluva lot more fun than placing mics and pressing a button. I dunno, maybe I should begin that process wherby I begin to second guess myself.

DJ

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Something that I meant to mention in my review but forgot:

When placing either the PC13 or SB13 in a corner, setting up the menu on the PC13 is easier. Because the cylinders are sufficiently axisymmetric, you can have the PC13 spun around so that the amp is facing outwards. That makes it very easy to adjust the volume, PEQ, and other settings when you're doing calibration. The SB13 (or PB13) aren't nearly as easy because the amp is up against the wall. Remember, the new digital amps require cycling through a menu screen. In my case, I was adjusting the volume and PEQ settings using a mirror and had to read the display backwards as I was leaning over the sub.

This is just an added note, as it shouldn't play a large role in most people's decision. Setting up the amp isn't done very often, and it wasn't that bad with a mirror. It just took a couple more minutes.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Something that I meant to mention in my review but forgot:

When placing either the PC13 or SB13 in a corner, setting up the menu on the PC13 is easier. Because the cylinders are sufficiently axisymmetric, you can have the PC13 spun around so that the amp is facing outwards. That makes it very easy to adjust the volume, PEQ, and other settings when you're doing calibration. The SB13 (or PB13) aren't nearly as easy because the amp is up against the wall. Remember, the new digital amps require cycling through a menu screen. In my case, I was adjusting the volume and PEQ settings using a mirror and had to read the display backwards as I was leaning over the sub.

This is just an added note, as it shouldn't play a large role in most people's decision. Setting up the amp isn't done very often, and it wasn't that bad with a mirror. It just took a couple more minutes.
i just lean over the sub, with my head near the back wall when setting up the boxes, good news is, you don't need a flashlight.

but yes, the cylinder i use is also spun around for easy access

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Hard to reach/ease of access

i just lean over the sub, with my head near the back wall when setting up the boxes, good news is, you don't need a flashlight.

but yes, the cylinder i use is also spun around for easy access
In regards to ease of access to the rear of sub.
I was thinking something along these lines.
I may be way off base here but I think something like a remote access if you will with a small display screen w/controls , a short usb plug that you could hook up to the back of the digital control on the sub then lay this down on top of the sub and change your settings without moving the beast around to see the back. I may have really went overboard here thinking this way but it sure would be easy. Maybe a program for your laptop that would relay the same info the screen shows on the back of the sub via usb/hdmi so you could make adjustments with your laptop.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
yeah, wireless would be even better.

but since i leave at least a foot from the back wall, my head can just pop in and out

i remember the days when i have a flashlight in my mouth ... now, at least there's just one dial and a lighted screen.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
but since i leave at least a foot from the back wall, my head can just pop in and out
A foot would have been nice. :D I had an inch or two, as I was trying to get as close to the wall as possible so that my front right speaker (which was in front of the sub) didn't stick out into the room too far.

Out-of-context quote of first portion in 3...2...1...

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Out of context? Who would ever make an out of context quote about you only having an inch or two?

Hey man, I respect you being candid and all, but let's keep this review to subwoofers :D

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
yeah, i thought so as i was typing it. but since i had a foot or so ... i figured, why not.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Out of context? Who would ever make an out of context quote about you only having an inch or two?

Hey man, I respect you being candid and all, but let's keep this review to subwoofers :D
I ain't sayin nothing.

DJ

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I was happy to see this morning that SVS posted my review on their website (a much shorter one that I wrote specifically for the product page). I wrote it last week, and I wasn't sure if they'd post it before the sub came out.

I can't stress enough how impressed I am with this thing. To have it virtually match the performance of my PC13-Ultra (which is an outstanding sub) in so much less volume is incredible.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi, everyone. Just a couple of notes:

1) Per Gene, the poll voting no longer counts for the current contest. You must respond in the contest thread (linked here) and type in the name of the person that you want to win. Only those posts will count as votes. Whether that person is me or one of the other two, please get your votes in. Thanks!

2) Please feel free to keep any questions coming! There's still over 10 days left on the preorder pricing, and if you're trying to decide, all three contestants might be able to help you out.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis