panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Adam was really one of the greats. I loved watching Batman with my dad.

@Swerd I think it's funny that I'm the same age as your kids, but enjoy the same humor as you do. Probably due to my dad getting me to watch all the stuff he loved as a kid or before I came along.

Mel Brooks is one of my all time favorites. I also love the Support your local sherrif and gunfighter movies. Awesome, if you haven't seen them, go watch them now.

I also love a lot of newer humor, but agree that the awkward stuff isn't all that funny. Louis CK is great, but I don't really laugh at him all that much.

I have a good friend that's a comic and he's about 27 or 28 (can't remember) and his style isn't anything like Lois'. He's more of the storytelling type.

I think the good thing about the younger generation (me included...I guess) is that they can look at all the past humor as well as the new stuff. My 2 and 3 yo love Looney Tunes as well as some of the newer cartoons. I feel it's important to show them ALL of the humor, music, TV, and anything else past or present so they can be well rounded. People that only focus on the present and future miss out on a lot of good stuff.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
You've obviously forgotten about our mother and sister.
LOL :D

To explain, our mother was a bit humor impaired in the sense that a librarian would not appreciate having Bart Simpson acting up in her library. Fair enough.

Our sister, on the other hand, is totally lacking in humor. And she is also a member of the same generation as me and Dan :eek:! She could not see any difference between Bart Simpson and Jack the Ripper. As I was trying to think about Batman, Adam West, and humor in the 1960s, she is the last person I would think of.

Edit: I feel compelled to say that my brother Dan is 13 years younger than I am. When Batman first aired on TV, I was 17 and he was 4. We watched Batman together and loved it. As his big brother I felt it was my duty to introduce him to all the fun kid-stuff that our parents couldn't or wouldn't tell him about. So with that background, we both mourn the loss of Adam West, and celebrate his career as the Caped Crusader.

Last edited:
Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
Actually I had just turned 5 in Sep of 66 and went totally apeshit for Batman as any good five year old did.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
My father did not like The Simpsons either. All he saw was Bart's antics and did not see the satire or subversiveness of The Simpsons. He didn't get it, but he was from a simpler time and place. His idea of high comedy is Leave It To Beaver or The Andy Griffith Show. The rest of my family loved The Simpsons though.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I never really thought about the humor in the family thing much but I think we all are pretty big fans of comedy in general. When I saw the premiere of Batman as a 10 year old, thought it was just a bit too goofy and way different from the comic, didn't appreciate the humor then too much, loved it when I saw reruns as an adult. I do remember my dad being really upset with Don Rickles who had picked on him during a show in Vegas; mom was a huge fan and thought it was extra hilarious dad got picked on, lol. She got hers once during a Shriner's circus show where one of the clowns mimicking a monkey climbed into the balcony we were on and started pretending to pick lice out of mom's hair....she didn't find the humor in it, we were all ROFL.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Actually I had just turned 5 in Sep of 66 and went totally apeshit for Batman as any good five year old did.
Batman first went on the air January 12, 1966, so you were 4.3 years old and I had just turned 17 in late November 1965. It was a big deal at the time, and I'm pretty sure we watched it from the start. I do remember the next day at school (I was a senior), everyone was talking about Batman – even teachers.

Yes, you went totally apeshit over it :D. We pinned a towel to your shoulders because you "needed a cape". You didn't so much watch Batman as you did aerobic exercise. For most of the half hour (especially during all the fight scenes), you ran around the room jumping off of any furniture you could climb on, like the back of the sofa. I'm not certain about this, but I think the first time you read were the BAM, POW, ZONK words flashed on the screen during the fights. Your first favorite song was the Batman Theme.

While you were doing that, I was checking out Julie Newmar in her Catwoman tights.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis