Acurus A2005 vs Emotiva XPA-5 (Gen 3) vs Anthem MCA-50

T

Touareg

Enthusiast
Hi everyone,

I'm getting further into my audiophile journey and looking for an external 5 channel amp to compliment my system :

- L/R : Chane A5rx-c
- Center : Chane A2.4
- Surrounds : None yet, but looking for some as we speak
- Sub : Seaton Sound MFW-15 Turbo-SS
- Receiver : Denon AVR-X4200W

The reason why I'm looking for an external amp is that we are looking to move in the near future and want to get ahead of this before the wife decides to use our disposable income for other things like decorations for the new home...! Our current room is 12x16x8 but the future one will be much bigger.

I'm in Canada and have been looking at the following external amps which are in the same price bracket of approx $2,500 : Acurus A2005 (5x200w), Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 3 (5x250w) and Anthem MCA-50 (5x180w). We don't listen at very high volumes but looking for an amp with plenty of head room for mainly home theatre.

I have never owned an external amp, so I'm not sure what to look for when comparing amps aside from power.

Looking forward for folks' input.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Your definition of "not very high volume" at what distance are you trying to prepare for? Why do you want to power the surrounds with a power amp? They should easily be driven by the avr even if you put power amps on the front three.

T

Touareg

Enthusiast
Your definition of "not very high volume" at what distance are you trying to prepare for? Why do you want to power the surrounds with a power amp? They should easily be driven by the avr even if you put power amps on the front three.
We sit at 9' from the mains right now and the loudest I push the mains is 75 - 80 dbs. When playing at these levels, I find that the Denon lacks a bit of head room. Most of the time, we listen at around 65 dbs. Fast forward into the future, we're looking at larger homes. So far, it looks like we'll be sitting at the 15' - 20'.

Regarding the surrounds, this is why I was asking the question... I may not need a 5 channel. A 3 channel might do the work?!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
We sit at 9' from the mains right now and the loudest I push the mains is 75 - 80 dbs. When playing at these levels, I find that the Denon lacks a bit of head room. Most of the time, we listen at around 65 dbs. Fast forward into the future, we're looking at larger homes. So far, it looks like we'll be sitting at the 15' - 20'.

Regarding the surrounds, this is why I was asking the question... I may not need a 5 channel. A 3 channel might do the work?!

So if you listen at loudest average levels of 75-80 dB but usually 65dB....generously allowing for 20dB peaks would be 95-100 dB, and distances maybe from 9-20 ft from speakers at your listening position...using a calculator it seems even assuming 90dB sensitivity (rather than the 92 stated in the specs for your LR, just using the 90 stated for the C), near a wall placement, distances from 9-20 ft, 50w/ch could be sufficient. With your current setup at 9 ft I would think you should be fine now. Might not be another amp is going to give you what you think it will. What are you measuring with btw?

They're nice to have and all but unless you're looking for higher spl's I dunno for $2500 and the few extra dB overhead these provide...for me it would be not worth it. A 3ch amp is a definite consideration if you have much choice (or even a pair of more affordable 2ch amps like Crown XLS and let one channel idle or bridge that amp :) ). Sometimes ya just gotta go for it. Good luck!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Even the xpa-3 will not help much, a couple of Crown xls 1502 will.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
$2500 on amp and $300 speakers?

I say just get Emotiva or Crown amps.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
One thing is for sure - none of these amps will improve the sound quality of your speakers unless they truly need the extra power.

So don't waste any money UNTIL you actually NEED it.

I sure wouldn't spend $2500 because I think I might need them for some $300 speakers.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
One thing is for sure - none of these amps will improve the sound quality of your speakers unless they truly need the extra power.

So don't waste any money UNTIL you actually NEED it.

I sure wouldn't spend $2500 because I think I might need them for some $300 speakers.
Just notice the Emo gen 3 has gone the SMPS way so no more 1.2kVA power transformers in any of them, except their flag ship monoblocks.

T

Touareg

Enthusiast
I guess I should just wait until we move and see if I actually need more power than what the Denon can deliver?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That would be what I would do, or see if you can't maximize the room by shifting things around or playing with placement, etc. You'll find plenty of uses for the money in moving households :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I guess I should just wait until we move and see if I actually need more power than what the Denon can deliver?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Absolutely wait. And then get something like the Harman Crown amps or Emotiva. Definitely not some $2500 amps.

Keep in mind that the speakers/subs, room acoustics, and original source are salient, not the amplifiers.

So if you are going to spend a lot of money, spend it on speakers & subs first and room acoustics (if you need it, like if you have wood floors or tile floors).

Now if you own $5,000 - $20,000 speakers, then it's understandable if you want to spend $2500 or more on amps. But not if you have $300 speakers.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I used to own the $300 Infinity Primus P362 towers (by Harman, the same company that makes the Crown amps and $22K Revel Salon, $60K JBL Everest).

The P362's on-axis and off-axis frequency response is actually 100% better than the $25K B&W 800D. But I did not think the P362 sounded better. :D

The point is, even if you bought $20K amps, the $20K amps won't make your $300 speakers sound as good as $3K speakers or $5K-$30K speakers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Absolutely wait. And then get something like the Harman Crown amps or Emotiva. Definitely not some $2500 amps.

Keep in mind that the speakers/subs, room acoustics, and original source are salient, not the amplifiers.

So if you are going to spend a lot of money, spend it on speakers & subs first and room acoustics (if you need it, like if you have wood floors or tile floors).

Now if you own $5,000 - $20,000 speakers, then it's understandable if you want to spend $2500 or more on amps. But not if you have $300 speakers.

Nor will more expensive amps necessarily make those more expensive speakers sound any better either....just makes it more understandable when you start throwing money at stuff :)

T

Touareg

Enthusiast
Thanks everyone for the replies. I was looking at adding an external amp to ensure that there is enough power on tap to play at higher levels in a larger space. It wasn't really to improve sound quality as I find my Chane towers to have an amazing sound quality but need a bit more help when playing at high levels. I know they can handle more power than what the Denon can deliver. I guess I should just wait and see until we're in a larger space.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Nor will more expensive amps necessarily make those more expensive speakers sound any better either....just makes it more understandable when you start throwing money at stuff :)
Agreed.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis