active pa speakers in home theater setup?

leeb

leeb

Junior Audioholic
I have a new 3d tv and a ps4. I wanna nice rock sound system. I still wanna play my tv and ps4 through surround sound at times. My question is can I hook up 2 active pa speakers to a Yamaha 5.1 receiver 500w? The speakers I think are 1500w peak. Thinking of either Pyle or gem sound. I don't have a lot of money. Hdmi receiver or av?

Thanks for reading
Lee

leeb

leeb

Junior Audioholic
I want something to thump when needed plus use surround sound for gaming and movies. My ps4 is Hdmi only

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
If those PA speakers don't have speaker level inputs you need to use the preamp outputs from your receiver to feed them.

If you don't have preamp outs, it won't work without additional gizmos that will detract from the sound.

I'm thinking you nmitght want to rethink active speakers if you don't have preamp outs on your receiver.

leeb

leeb

Junior Audioholic
Yamaha Rx-v373 5.1. Speakers deura dba-115 15" 3000w

leeb

leeb

Junior Audioholic
Or any suggestions would help. I think you all know what I'm looking for.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Those speakers have RCA inputs. If your TV has RCA or headphone outs, you can use those directly to the PA speakers. You won't be able to get surround sound and only play TV audio, but, something is better than nothing.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
AG nailed it. Your receiver doesn't have the needed preamp outputs to do it the right way.

As an alternative, you might be able to get by with using your receivers headphone jacks so all your sources can use those speakers. Again, it will only be two-channel stereo but that's a choice you'll have to make: Full 5.1 surround "without thump" or two channel stereo "with thump".

Last edited:
agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
As an alternative, you might be able to get by with using your receivers headphone jacks so all your sources can use those speakers.
That's a good option too. Just be careful when adjusting the gain on the PA speakers. You'd want 75% master volume to give you the loudest sound level you will ever use. This will keep distortion on signal to a minimum, thereby protecting your speaker's inbuilt amps.

leeb

leeb

Junior Audioholic
Thank you guys both!! I'm getting it now.. What about passive pa speakers? If I bought those could I get the full surround sound with the thump? Or would I need some sort of additional help to push the pa's to their potential and not damage or overload the remaing three?
Thanks again.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Let's backtrack a little.

Why are you looking at PA speakers?
What is the priority, thump or surround sound?
What is your budget?

leeb

leeb

Junior Audioholic
To be honest I want both! Lol maybe like 800 to start. Then more here and there as I continue to work. I guess I'm more concerned with the right reciever to do this with. If I couldn't have both then more all around the surround sound but loud enough for a small party. To play Pandora, YouTube, phone on. I could prob swing that mantz receiver you mentioned earlier with the pre outs for 400.

leeb

leeb

Junior Audioholic
Pa's I like the thump they have. Unless a good sub would do the job. I really don't know a lot about stereos. I just remember when I was a kid my dad had a pioneer receiver that you could feel in your chest when he turned up acdc...LOL

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Hmmm. We needed to be reasonable with what to expect in your budget. It may seem that a full surround speaker set, subwoofer and receiver, can be put together in your budget, but, you'll sacrifice quality. Also, while you can get loud with the volume for movies, with extended loud music sessions (especially, MP3s and dub step), your receiver and/or speakers will be at risk of failure. Most certainly, the setup will not rock your party like a night club.

I suggest you start with a good set of stereo speakers, a subwoofer and receiver to drive them. At a later time, add the center and surround speakers.

For the receiver, get the Denon E300. This one has Pandora, Spotify and Airplay built in. It also has Audyssey Dynamic Eq and this feature gives a fuller thump even at lower volume. http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVRE300/DENON-AVR-E300-5.1-3D-Networking-Receiver-AirPlay/1.html

Speakers, Pioneer SP-FS52-LR (if you wait a little, these should go on sale for $200/pair) or Infinity Primus P363 (these are available at Fry's in-store price $220/pair).

Subwoofer, on the AH classified there is an awesome sub for an unbelievable price. http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/classifieds-sell-your-gear/87499-fs-epik-legend-subwoofer.html

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
If you want big, loud, thump and cheap, then THESE should fufill your dream.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
"Thump" may be fun, but it doesn't necessarily mean good sound. I remember my old towers from the 70s that I got from my dad doing the same thing, nice kick in the chest. When I moved to a decent setup and came to the realization that it was basically due to a big fat room mode peak. We had a friend who was a DJ and had giant PA speakers in his house. It was loud for sure, but it sure as hell didn't sound great.

leeb

leeb

Junior Audioholic
I would say the surround sound would be more important. Pa's look cool and thump, I guess..lol Just needs to be loud enough to dance to sometimes. I can spend around 1000 dollars now. I look at it like I can always add to it if I need to later on.

leeb

leeb

Junior Audioholic
Ok, thank you guys for all the input. I just purchased a denon avr e400 amp. Still waiting on it to arrive. I have about 300 to 400 more dollars to spend. Trying to figure out a speaker purchase. I can add more as I work. Im wanting it for surround sound and some music play as well. I dont care about brand name as much. Mark I think you suggested bic america rtr 15 standing floor speakers for the thump I wanted...lol Im just curious could could I just buy a bic america fj 12 powered sub since it has a pre amp sub port? I think its 475 w. Then just use some good quality surround sound speakers with that?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis