Acoustics for Dummies

C

ccotenj

Audioholic Intern
i'm looking for some recommended reading materials for introduction to acoustical theory... something that will define all the terminology (i.e. just what exactly IS a 2nd order harmonic, and why would one care?) in reasonably simple straightforward language...

i've been able to piece together a bit of knowledge from years of reading and lurking, but it's horribly incomplete...

again, something reasonably simple...

thanks in advance.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
There's some good stuff here. They are a bunch of articles by Ethan Winer, the guy who runs Real Traps. The articles cover acoustics from a bunch of different angles. What you want to know may be there.

Jim

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'm glad those books are what you wanted. I looked through Amazon earlier this afternoon for some, but I didn't find any that I thought fit the bill. Good thing that no. 5 is on the job! :)

EDIT: Ahhh, the power and seduction of "1-click". You are braver than I, my friend. I have that disabled...just to keep some money in the bank. ;)

C

ccotenj

Audioholic Intern
I'm glad those books are what you wanted. I looked through Amazon earlier this afternoon for some, but I didn't find any that I thought fit the bill. Good thing that no. 5 is on the job! :)

EDIT: Ahhh, the power and seduction of "1-click". You are braver than I, my friend. I have that disabled...just to keep some money in the bank. ;)
it's worth a shot... we'll see if i can wrap my brain around what it's trying to tell me... sometimes i can be rather dense... :)

lol... yea, sometimes i really wish they had a "limiter" on 1-click... once you reach a certain amount a month, it would cut you off... although i've finally learned to not surf amazon in an, ummm, "altered" state... :D

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
this looks like a good start... thanks... :)
(no. 5 tips his hat)

My pleasure. :)
You have now incited me to want a personal logo. :p

Djizasse

Djizasse

Senior Audioholic
I'm also waiting for "Master Handbook of Acoustics" to arrive, along with the "Speaker Building 201" and "Loudspeaker Design Cookbook".
I've got something to read over the summer :)

I like to use The Book Depository. They have free delivery for any country (or almost). Ebay is also a good alternative to amazon.

C

ccotenj

Audioholic Intern
my copy of "master handbook..." arrived today... i love amazon prime... :)

started to leaf through a bit tonight... at first glance, this is certainly a good suggestion, and appears to be what i was looking for... not impossible to understand, but not so "dumbed down" that you don't learn anything from it...

thanks again no. 5.... :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis