Acoustic Research, Powered Subs.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I just got an AR S108PS 8" powered woofer. I just wanted to know what other's experiances are with these subs. I think it is great for it's size and price. Just for fun guess how much I got this one for. Here is a hint, I bought it used from a....you guessed it....pawn shop.:D

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Seth=L said:
I just got an AR S108PS 8" powered woofer. I just wanted to know what other's experiances are with these subs. I think it is great for it's size and price. Just for fun guess how much I got this one for. Here is a hint, I bought it used from a....you guessed it....pawn shop.:D
Seth, I own (2) 8" Acoustic Research ARPR808 powered subs and just love them. Very good for both ht AND music applications. Have had no serious placement issues and these little guys are built like tanks. Lots of punch and articulation. However, I do wish the low frequency extension was a bit deeper. Other than that, I have no complaints. Congrats are your find.:) :)

C

chaos24

Audioholic Intern
i have owned a acoustic research 12in sub with 120 watts for over 8 years and it still fuctions fine. its now a little sloppy when really pushed but all in all it has held its own.i paid 400 bucks at sears when i got mine ...never had one problem with it

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
no. 5 said:
$20? $25? $200? ;)
Well you guessed right, but you cheated a little.:D You can rule the $200 out, never would I pay that for a used AR sub. Got it for $20, can anyone top that deal?........."cricket, cricket"........I thought not.:D

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
speakerman39 said:
Seth, I own (2) 8" Acoustic Research ARPR808 powered subs and just love them. Very good for both ht AND music applications. Have had no serious placement issues and these little guys are built like tanks. Lots of punch and articulation. However, I do wish the low frequency extension was a bit deeper. Other than that, I have no complaints. Congrats are your find.:) :)
Yours are a couple years newer than mine, probably have better crossovers and options. Does yours have the nice little green light on the front? Mine is boring, it doesn't have a light on the front.:(

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
speakerman39 said:
Ok, it LOOKS like there a slot port on the front of that subwoofer. Is that a port, or just a hole where the radiator is (down firing)?

SheepStar

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
I had an ARS12HO (12" and I don't remember how many watts) for about 4 or 5 years before it started to develop a popping and rumbling problem that I could never source. At one point my friend and I thought we had it traced to the power switch actually but eventually I just sold it to him and got a new sub. He did some more monkeying with it and got it to work OK for a while I think.

It was a decent sub, reasonably musical from what I can recall but that's been 5 or so years now.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Seth=L said:
Yours are a couple years newer than mine, probably have better crossovers and options. Does yours have the nice little green light on the front? Mine is boring, it doesn't have a light on the front.:(
No, mine have a blue LED. I got a real good deal on mine as well. A former co-worker has (2) 12" versions of what I have and let me tell you it sounds fantastic. Talking about rattling the foundation of your home. Use to own a Mirage S12 12" sub and the 12" Acoustic Research sub would givie it a run for its money so to speak. Two of them easily walk all over the S12 in output-not sure about extension. I did notice the 12" AR sub seemed a bit tighter and a bit more articulate. Wished I could find the 12" versions like I did the 8". But, the 10" and the 12" versions have been discontinued.:mad: :mad: Oh well, just the way things are. My former co-worker will NOT sell them either. Can't say I blame him-I sure wouldn't.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Sheep said:
Ok, it LOOKS like there a slot port on the front of that subwoofer. Is that a port, or just a hole where the radiator is (down firing)?

SheepStar
It isn't a sloted port but rather the radiator area as you said. The woofer is down firing with a port in there as well. The port is longer and has noise resistance at each end. The rear of the sub also has the open slot appearance.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
speakerman39 said:
No, mine have a blue LED. I got a real good deal on mine as well. A former co-worker has (2) 12" versions of what I have and let me tell you it sounds fantastic. Talking about rattling the foundation of your home. Use to own a Mirage S12 12" sub and the 12" Acoustic Research sub would givie it a run for its money so to speak. Two of them easily walk all over the S12 in output-not sure about extension. I did notice the 12" AR sub seemed a bit tighter and a bit more articulate. Wished I could find the 12" versions like I did the 8". But, the 10" and the 12" versions have been discontinued.:mad: :mad: Oh well, just the way things are. My former co-worker will NOT sell them either. Can't say I blame him-I sure wouldn't.
I want a blue LED darn it.:mad::D

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
Seth=L said:
I want a blue LED darn it.:mad::D
The fewer lights, the better I say. :cool:

I always scoff at Rotel gear with all the bright blue leds.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
What is wrong with cool LEDs? Krell stuff and Rotel stuff looks cool with those little lights.:D

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Seth=L said:
What is wrong with cool LEDs? Krell stuff and Rotel stuff looks cool with those little lights.:D
Well, new age LEDs can bring down a plane with their brightness. Having your HT in the same room you sleep in makes it kinda tough.

SheepStar

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Sheep said:
Well, new age LEDs can bring down a plane with their brightness. Having your HT in the same room you sleep in makes it kinda tough.

SheepStar
We don't all have that problem Sheep.:D

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
Seth=L said:
I dunno, something to do with the fact that I close my eyes when I listen and those bright blue LEDs are sometimes still noticeable.

I

"is"

Banned
emorphien said:
I dunno, something to do with the fact that I close my eyes when I listen and those bright blue LEDs are sometimes still noticeable.
Nothin a little duct tape can't fix right? Just like the flashing clock on the VCR that no one ever sets.:)

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
is said:
Nothin a little duct tape can't fix right?
getn' shivers down my spine, picturing a Krell with duct tape on the faceplate. :eek:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis