Acoustic Research Performance Series VS Monster Cables

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
First off, I'm no HT expert, so anyone who is going to take anything away for reading my post will most likely be a 1st timer to HT like myself.

I work at Best Buy. We carry mainly 3 types of cables, from least to most expensive: Recotton, Acoustic Research, and Monster. Using my staff discount, as well as borrow 'open box' items, I was able to judge performance similarities/differences in various brands of cables.

I have tried them all (Recotton for stereo LR audio cables only) and have reached a more educated perspective based on trial, rather than word of mouth.

My initial impression was that Monster Standard cables would be clearly superior to AR because not only are they THX certified, but also almost 2x as expensive.

I was able to speak to my manager and borrow a few open box Monster cables that we had stored under the tills. Here are the cables used for this test:

Monster Ultra Fiber Optics (4 feet)

Monster Standard Fiber Optics (4 feet)

Monster Standard Digital Coax (4 feet)

Monster V3 component (6.6 feet)

AR Fiber Optics (6 feet)

AR Digital Coax (6 feet)

AR component video (6 feet)

Using both Digital Coax and Fiber Optics, I could find nothing that stands out. Even using the Ultra, I could discern no audible difference in sound. :eek: My DVD player is a Denon 1910, while no juggernaut, it's not too shabby. I then switched to my Free-to-air Sat box using the Digital Coax, I could notice no difference in audio.

There was a slight difference in component video between Monster and AR. Monster has a tad more realistic skin tones, and the color seemed a touch more realistic. I used the Picture-in-picture views to compare the two cables. However, the AR cable retails for $39,99, whereas the Monster V3 retails for $139,99. Is it worth $100 more? Had I not done PIP, I wouldn't have noticed a thing either on DVD or Sat box.

In terms of construction and ease of use, Monster irritated me! First off, the video 3 component cables have some retarded twist-lock system that is really unnecessary. I've never found component cables to 'come off' on their own. I almost broke off the output jacks on my Denon 1910 trying to get those cables off. It's stupid and isn't user friendly at all.

Both brands uses gold connectors. The digital coax on the Monster loosened slightly when I was trying to pull it out of my DVD player. That's not good. It seems the glue (or whatever they use) to hold the plastic and the gold connector was not strong enough. No problems with AR. They all semed consistent during connections.

Next, the plastic used for the RCA jack covering is miles ahead on the AR cables than on the Monster Standard cables. It's a softer, more robust plastic than the hard - which feels hollow inside - plastic Monster uses. The Ultra plastic was of higher quality, but it had better be for the price.

The cool thing about the AR cables was the nice texturized rubber grip found on all the cables. It makes it so much easier for users to know where to hold on the cables when inserting in or out. After trying out as many cables as I had, with sweaty hands, I cannot express the practicality of AR including such a nifty, functional part to their budget cables line. Monster standard has 4 cutout indents for gripping which really doesn't do much IMO. The ultra series has a rubberized grip at the base, while good is not on the same level as the AR grip.

Another thing to note is, that the Monster cables' moulded plastic grips are thicker in size to AR. This could be a nuissance on Harman Kardon receivers, or any av equipment where where the Component, Optical or digital inputs are right next to each other. You'd have to shave the sides of the plastic grips to get them to fit. :mad:

In terms of the actual cables themselves, AR has a very flexible, soft, outer jacket, which really surprised me. It is REALLY soft to the touch and feels 'more expensive' than it really is. Monster's cable was no slouch either, while not as flexible as AR it is still beefy and nice. The Monster Ultra mesh jacket on the Fiber Optic cable was very stiff and I had a hard time getting it to lay flat. It might be shielded better but I didn't appreciate its stiffness.

Whew! That ws longer than I intened to write. To me, based on what I observed, Acoustic Research Performance Series cables is clearly the winner here. It far exceeded my expectations an a N00B HT user. Also, I happen to like the all-midnight blue look of these cables as an added bonus. :p At work I'm pushed to sell Monster, which is going to be extremely difficult for me now, because I cannot recommend them without a guilty conscience over AR.

I'd like to thank you for taking the time to read this, whether it helped you make a choice or not.

Last edited:
jcsprankle

jcsprankle

Audioholic
One good experience with Monster...

First off, I have no doubt that Monster cables, in general, are overpriced and one can purchase much better cables elsewhere and get better performance for their money. However, I do have a good experience with Monster that I'd like to share...

My HT setup is amateur at best (I'm in the process of slowly upgrading). Currently, I have a Velodyne sub that I like but I would get a terrible hum when there was no input signal (when there was a signal, there was no hum). I had the power switch set to auto so it would come on when a signal was detected from the receiver. When the receiver was turned off, the sub would hum. I use in-wall cabling to run to the sub that I installed when my house was being built and I thought it was receiving interference from power cables or something. In an effort to fix the hum, I installed a generic sub cable outside the wall from my receiver to the sub, bypassing the in-wall cable...the hum remained.

I also played with the receiver settings but nothing seemed to help.

Finally, I went to BB and purchased a Monster Ultra subwoofer cable. I probably would have purchased something else but I was impatient and BB is close to my house. I installed it and the hum disappeared. I probably spent too much (I think the 15" was $89.99) but it fixed my problem.

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
jcsprankle said:
First off, I have no doubt that Monster cables, in general, are overpriced and one can purchase much better cables elsewhere and get better performance for their money. However, I do have a good experience with Monster that I'd like to share...

My HT setup is amateur at best (I'm in the process of slowly upgrading). Currently, I have a Velodyne sub that I like but I would get a terrible hum when there was no input signal (when there was a signal, there was no hum). I had the power switch set to auto so it would come on when a signal was detected from the receiver. When the receiver was turned off, the sub would hum. I use in-wall cabling to run to the sub that I installed when my house was being built and I thought it was receiving interference from power cables or something. In an effort to fix the hum, I installed a generic sub cable outside the wall from my receiver to the sub, bypassing the in-wall cable...the hum remained.

I also played with the receiver settings but nothing seemed to help.

Finally, I went to BB and purchased a Monster Ultra subwoofer cable. I probably would have purchased something else but I was impatient and BB is close to my house. I installed it and the hum disappeared. I probably spent too much (I think the 15" was $89.99) but it fixed my problem.
The Ultra line is very nice. My main gripe is their price. It seems to me like to get any kind of good performance out of Monster Cables, you'd have to go to 3rd stage or Ultra. But at that point, you can do so much better with a little research (Blue Jeans, Axiom, etc). I am not at all happy with their standard THX range of cables.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Great job Bluesmoke. That was a well written and rather informative comparison you did.

I have some of the Monster THX standard cables and they are just fine because they aren't too expensive relative to AR but you are definitely right about the silly shape they used for the ends. You have to line them up so the flat parts are on top of each other; otherwise you would have to shave them to make them fit properly like you said. Under no circumstance would I ever buy any of the higher priced line from Monster.

I always thought the AR cables looked to be well made. My only complaint about them is that they are all BLUE. :) Considering I can't actually see any of my cables from where I sit, I guess that shouldn't be such a big concern.

R

riceaterslc

Audioholic
bluesmoke: nice writeup. i also noticed how the monster brand cable connectors come unscrewed. it is such an annoyance, luckily i only have one to worry about and it was free:)

MDS: good point about them all being blue. they do have the colored bands on the end of the connectors, but usually you cant see crap cause you're sticking you head between the wall and your component, lol. higher visibility connectors would be a great improvement for the AR's.

Great write-up. I like the PIP comparison that was good thinking.

I have ripped many an RCA female connector off with Monster Cable terminations... too darn tight. And they aren't the only company with tight terminators (there's no reliable standard). I now take a screwdriver and actually pry apart the RCA male connector to allow a snug, but not destructive, fit.

My favorite RCA terminations are the klind that screw down to tighten onto the female connector. Not sure why everyone doesn't use those in their high end cables.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Clint DeBoer said:

I have ripped many an RCA female connector off with Monster Cable terminations... too darn tight. And they aren't the only company with tight terminators (there's no reliable standard). I now take a screwdriver and actually pry apart the RCA male connector to allow a snug, but not destructive, fit.

My favorite RCA terminations are the klind that screw down to tighten onto the female connector. Not sure why everyone doesn't use those in their high end cables.
Apparently, any "Turbine-tipped" monster connectors have to be twisted off. All that monster training is paying off.

SheepStar

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
Clint DeBoer said:
Thanks. I just wanted to clarify. I've had 2 people ask how I did that. Well, my Denon has a DVI and component out. I used a DVI-to-component adapter (my Sony XBR has no Digital inputs, and this is how I connect my player anyways) from the 1910 to the tv. I also used the Monster V3 cables from the 1910 to another video input of my tv. So when I used PIP, I could watch the same picture from 2 cables. I switched the cables around and noticed no difference in PQ. The Monster was marginally better quality image-wise.

I did the same thing on my Rogers HD box.

Last edited:
jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Cable review

Good cable review.
If the AR performance series are as good as monster, then the AR Pro II series are probably superior. Sites like ac4l.com have them for a fraction of the cost of the comparable monster cable.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis