ACKKK!!! Just had my DLP Bulb replaced!

Gimpy Ric

Gimpy Ric

Finally after several weeks without my 50" Samsung DLP due to a blown bulb, I now have my TV back. I bought the TV in July of 2007 and spent $400.00 and change for an extended warranty that kicked in July of 2008, and is good till July of 2011.

I'm glad I spent that $400.00 and change because the service guy replaced both fans, and the bulb. He said the bulb alone is around $220.00 :eek:! And it only lasted a year and four months! He spent the better part of an hour with an electric drill and worked like a machine changing parts, and blowing dust out with a can of air.

Thats one extended warranty I'm glad I bought! It's renewable and I probably will if this bulb goes out before 2011, and I'm sure it will, I watch TV will I compute or listen to music.

Ric

V

Vart

Audioholic
I'm surprised the bulb is covered under the warranty. Do you know how many hours were on it?

I'm just waiting for the bulb in my Sony rear projection LCD to blow out. Mine has 8546 hours on it.

Last edited:
Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I'm surprised the bulb is covered under the warranty. Do you know how many hours were on it?

I'm just waiting for the bulb in my Sony rear projection LCD to blow out. Mine has 8546 hours on it.

Holy caveman..... watch much tv...?

J

jamie2112

Banned
I am glad you got that as well Ric. It sure saved you a ton o cash in the long run...:D

Gimpy Ric

Gimpy Ric

I'm not sure if my TV has an hours counter or not. I'll get someone to help me go thru the menus (I'm disabled, a quadriplegic) and look.

I'm glad it covers the bulb too! It would be worthless without it.

Ric

V

Vart

Audioholic
Holy caveman..... watch much tv...?
Is that a lot of hours for somewhere around 3 years? I wouldn't say I watch an excessive amount. My girlfriend does have a habit of leaving the TV on when nobody is around.

I'm not sure if my TV has an hours counter or not. I'll get someone to help me go thru the menus (I'm disabled, a quadriplegic) and look.

I'm glad it covers the bulb too! It would be worthless without it.

Ric
On my TV you actually have to go in to the service menu to check the hours.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Hehheheh no harm meant..... When I'm in my house, I usually have my tv on, as its my display for my music as well.... So I can't imagine how many hours are on my tv.... probably just as much... :)

A

allargon

Audioholic General
For music, I turn my display off, unless it's an opera or a ballet. My HD DVD/Blu-Ray players are smart enough to immediatley begin playing a CD upon insertion. It's mp3's, DVD's and Blu-Ray/HD DVD's that require me to actually select options and play from a menu.

My Mitsubishi also displays its lamp hours via the service menu, but with an easily accessible set of keys. My bulb is fine, but I fear my light engine (blooming white text on dark backgrounds) may be going after a mere 16 months. :mad:

E

EJ1

Audioholic Chief
I don't think $220 is a bad price for the bulb and I'm also surprised it's covered but it's awesome you had the warranty. Who was the extended warranty through? Did they use OEM parts?

Gimpy Ric

Gimpy Ric

I don't think $220 is a bad price for the bulb and I'm also surprised it's covered but it's awesome you had the warranty. Who was the extended warranty through? Did they use OEM parts?
The extended warranty is with General Electric, and yes they did use OEM parts ;)

Ric

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis