Acer K132 LED DLP Projector Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
When I saw the data for the Acer K132 LED DLP projector, I was very surprised by what it said. First of all, this little projector uses an LED light source. That's not amazing in and of itself, except that it boasts 500 lumens of output. I don't use much more than that in my home theater and so that seems like a realistic amount of output for a projector. Couple that with the fact that Acer's K132 is about the size of a Mac Mini and that it uses HDMI and you've got a very portable, very bright projector with unlimited potential.

Discuss "Acer K132 LED DLP Projector Review" here. Read the article.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Alright, ready for my rant on this?

LED isn't the joke it was when Pico models first started coming out, but it is still a solution without a proper problem. That is, at $500, this projector is about the same price as the far more capable conference room projectors. For home theater, there are more than a few 720p solutions out there still, including some new models from BenQ and Optoma which are just about $500 right now. Those models deliver a full array of inputs, zoom capability, better optics, and oh yeah, about 3,000 lumens of brightness. After calibration, let's call it 1,500 lumens which simply trounces the LED models out there right now.

Now, throw in that for just a few hundred bucks more you can get a 1080p projector which can properly fill a 10' diagonal screen with plenty of light output, even image uniformity, and delivers a 5,000 hour lamp life, one has to wonder why LED is such a popular concept.

If not, they aren't thinking it through. LED delivers on lamp life, but fails on brightness, resolution, and cost. The newest 1080p LED model is around $1,000. There is only one, and it makes absolutely no sense for most conditions. Consider that the Epson 2030 offers a 5,000 hour lamp which only costs $100 to replace, so for $1,300 you get 20,000 hours of lamp life and all the rest that goes with 1080p home theater projection. (actually the 2030 is pretty bad due to other issues)

Still, this is a projector without a real purpose. It's not a home theater projector, it's not a business class projector, it's not a budget projector for either, it's not flexible in placement, it's not flexible in usage...

It's a toy.

"First Impression: Gotta Have It!"

No, not at all! This isn't going to deliver 1080p w/3D home theater on a 120" screen adequately. It's not going to deliver in the boardroom with windows at 100" whatsoever.

If you travel a lot, then throw it in your suitcase with your iPhone or Android and some videos preloaded and watch them on your wall instead of on the cruddy TV they give you. Let your kids watch on the wall somewhere. Those are things which make sense. But, it truly shows that this product is a 'toy'.

You want to compare it, then compare it to the models I listed above. Let me know how it stacks up. Heck, put it in a boardroom then shove it next to this sub $400 business model:
Sharp Projectors: Sharp PG-LW2000 DLP projector

I'm at a loss on the hype of LED. I will be even less hyped when (if) Epson delivers on their promise of a traditional lamp with a 10,000 hour rated lifespan.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis