A / V Receiver Connection Questions

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
As some of you know, I recently bought a Yamaha RX-V375, and I really like it. However, I may not have hooked everything up in the best way. Before I bought this, I was using a stereo receiver, and the two sources were the Sony TV and a DVD player used to play CD's. Our DISH Network box and DVD recorder/player both went into the TV in this path: DISH box> DVD recorder> TV> stereo. When I set up the Yamaha AVR, I set it up the same way, connecting my two sources into the two audio inputs.

There are lots of other possible connections on the back of the Yamaha. Would it be better to connect the DISH box and DVD recorder to the AVR, rather than the TV? I sometimes like to watch TV and listen to a CD at the same time; for example, when a Spanish channel shows a soccer game I want to watch, I play a CD instead of listening to the TV sound. Would I be able to do that if I connect all of those video sources to the Yamaha?

I am very content with the sound now, but if there is a better way to do it, I would like to know. Peace and goodwill.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
The TV is the worst possible switch for audio. t might be fine for video but not for sound.

Sound-wise, you're best off running the sound directly to the receiver.

You can, however, run an HDMI cable from your receiver to the TV with no noticable deradation in PQ.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
As some of you know, I recently bought a Yamaha RX-V375, and I really like it. However, I may not have hooked everything up in the best way. Before I bought this, I was using a stereo receiver, and the two sources were the Sony TV and a DVD player used to play CD's. Our DISH Network box and DVD recorder/player both went into the TV in this path: DISH box> DVD recorder> TV> stereo. When I set up the Yamaha AVR, I set it up the same way, connecting my two sources into the two audio inputs.

There are lots of other possible connections on the back of the Yamaha. Would it be better to connect the DISH box and DVD recorder to the AVR, rather than the TV?

That is usually best. One reason for that is that most TVs do NOT properly pass all forms of audio on to the receiver.

You then simply select the source via the receiver, and leave the TV on the input that is connected to the receiver.

I sometimes like to watch TV and listen to a CD at the same time; for example, when a Spanish channel shows a soccer game I want to watch, I play a CD instead of listening to the TV sound. Would I be able to do that if I connect all of those video sources to the Yamaha?

I don't know about your specific model (see your manual or just try it), but many receivers do allow for that by you first selecting the video source desired, then (using the remote) directly selecting the audio-only source for the audio. It must be an "audio only" source for the sound choice, or such receivers switch both audio and video.

I am very content with the sound now, but if there is a better way to do it, I would like to know. Peace and goodwill.

You should tell us more about the types of connections available on each. For example, some DVD players have HDMI outputs, and some do not.

Usually, it is best to hook every source up to the receiver, and the receiver to the TV via HDMI (if possible).

Usually, you want to use HDMI in all places where you can.

For video, second choice is component video, third is S-video, last is composite video.

For audio, it gets more complicated. If you have an SACD player or DVD-Audio player or a BD player, the second choice is multichannel analog. For everything else, the second choice is usually optical or coaxial digital.

For a CD player, it is usually not critical whether you use a digital connection or a stereo analog connection. The exception would be if you are trying to play DTS encoded CDs, in which case you will need to use the digital connection (which does not always work, as DTS encoded CDs were not part of the original standard for CDs).

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the responses. The DISH Network box only has RF or L/R audio and video jacks, no component or HDMI. The DVD recorder is a Panasonic DMR-E55, which we have had for a long time. It has component video, S-video, and an optical digital audio out that uses a type of connector I am not familiar with.

Would the picture be better if I went from the DISH box to the DVD recorder component out to the TV? That seems like the most direct route. Then I could run the DVD sound directly to the receiver. Since the DISH box only has the L/R audio / one video jack, would it make sense to send that signal to the receiver and then to the TV and DVD recorder? The TV sound out is a stereo mini plug. Thanks again.

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
Here is a link to the back of my Yamaha AVR RX-V375 - RX-V - AV Receivers - Audio & Visual - Products - Yamaha United States

My plan is the following:
From the DISH box L/R audio and video into AVR 4 of the Yamaha

Into the TV from the HDMI Out of the Yamaha

From a Philips DVD player HDMI out into HDMI 1 of the Yamaha

The problem comes with the old Panasonic DVD recorder. I can send a signal into it from the Yamaha AV Out. But how do I send a signal from it into the Yamaha? The Panasonic has component out, video out, L/R audio out, and optical digital audio out. AV1 input of the Yamaha has component in and optical in. Is an optical cable easy to find? I am unfamiliar with them. I could really use some help here.

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
Well, after much trail and error, here is what I did.

Dish box video/L/R out into receiver AV5
Philips DVD HDMI out into receiver HDMI 1; also L/R audio out into receiver audio 2 (to play CD's while I use the computer; I am doing that right now.)
Receiver HDMI out into Sony TV HDMI in; receiver video out into Sony TV video in; Sony TV audio out into receiver audio 1 (to play computer sounds)

The old Panasonic DVD recorder was the biggest challenge. Panasonic DVD video and optical digital audio out into receiver AV4. To get video into the DVD recorder I used the S-video out on the DISH box into DVD recorder input 1. To get audio I had to use a RCA Y connector on the DISH box L/R audio out so I could get audio into both the receiver and the DVD recorder.

All of the RCA cables, except the CD / audio 2 cable, are nice Heartland Cables, and the front speaker cables are Kimber Cables. It all works and sounds and looks great. Peace and goodwill.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis