A/V cables any difference?

J

jordan456789

Enthusiast
I just bought a new TV, sub and amp and was wondering about the cables to connect them. Is there really a difference between the expensive "monster" cables and the inexpensive cables? Is it worth spending hundreds of dollars on these cables and would i really notice a difference? Some say there is a difference and some say it is the same. What do you think? Also with HDMI should i pay the extra to get the 1.3 or are the 1.2 fine?

F

FNG212

Audioholic
absolutely not. There are a bunch of threads on here about that. Do not spend more than 10-15 bucks for any sort of cable under 25 feet. It's all just copper wire. Yes the monster cables might be more durable, but unless you're using them to play Indiana Jones and bull-whipping yourself through the trees with them there is no reason to buy them. Plus Monster Cable Inc are *****. (is it slander if its true?)

Get the 1.3 varients unless someone on here tells you not to. I think it has to do with data transmission capacity.

www.monoprice.com

Thats the only website you need for cables of any kind.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Here's my take on it. If a cable passes the signal unmodified, then it will be the same as any other cable that does that. Several studies have shown that less expensive cables perform just as well as Monster cables. Monoprice.com is a popular choice for members of this forum in terms of affordable and high quality cables. Other members like Blue Jeans Cable, but those are more expensive.

If you can buy the expensive cables from someplace that will take them back without any penalties (e.g. restocking fees), then you can always buy both and do the check for yourself. I'm not being sarcastic - the proof is in the pudding, right? If you can't tell a difference, then the more expensive cables aren't worth the extra cash.

J

judgeman

Audiophyte
There are many reasons not to by monster. I won't get into all of them.
Suffice it to say they are grossly over priced.
I try these guys: link
EDIT: I type too damn slow:)
I agree monster is too much hype

J

jordan456789

Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies. I figured with a digital signal pretty much all the cables are the same. It makes me feel better about getting the $10 HDMI cables. Unfortunatly the ones i have are 1.2 but i will wait for a sale and get hte 1.3.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Thanks for the replies. I figured with a digital signal pretty much all the cables are the same. It makes me feel better about getting the $10 HDMI cables. Unfortunatly the ones i have are 1.2 but i will wait for a sale and get hte 1.3.
FWIW with digital signals any thing under 25ft ill use toslink or coaxial, anything over strictly coaxial, unless a booster is used:):)

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I just bought a new TV, sub and amp and was wondering about the cables to connect them. Is there really a difference between the expensive "monster" cables and the inexpensive cables? Is it worth spending hundreds of dollars on these cables and would i really notice a difference? Some say there is a difference and some say it is the same. What do you think? Also with HDMI should i pay the extra to get the 1.3 or are the 1.2 fine?
go to monoprice.com. Never ever buy your cable anywhere else period. If you do you should be ashamed of yourself. ;)

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
Good value can be had on e-bay as well for balanced, optical, HDMI, etc... No fancy packaging but the value is outstanding. I have purchased from Monoprice and Blue Jean Cables as well. Blue Jean cables is the absolute maximum quality and cost that makes sense.

Monster????? Shirley you jest!!!

Oh BTW e-bay is a good source for banana connectors as well

P

pjoseph

Full Audioholic
I cant believe the prices they charge at places like best buy for these so called top of the line cables, its all a bunch of bs marketing. Dont buy your cable from these places you are throwing you money in the garbage.

1990Viper

Enthusiast
go to monoprice.com. Never ever buy your cable anywhere else period. If you do you should be ashamed of yourself. ;)
Hmmm...Actually... www.partsexpress.com has it cheaper in some instances than mono price... I only go to Partsexpress for my cables...

My favorite is Dayton audio....You just can't beat the price...

Plus the website layout is nicer and easier to use...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis