A subjective audio review in IEEE Spectrum? WTF?

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
You live long enough you see things you never would have imagined you ever would. A subjective review of the B&W P9 headphones in IEEE Spectrum magazine, the Jan 2017 issue. I thought I was reading an article in The Absolute Sound, even mentioning Lyric HiFi in NYC. Spectrum is not a technical journal admittedly, the articles are written by freelance writers and they often are not electrical engineers or scientists, and the articles are not very technical, but for crying out loud, this is the IEEE, that charges me something like $300/yr in various dues. (Anyone can download the issue for free on the ieee.org web site. Take a peek.)

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
You live long enough you see things you never would have imagined you ever would. A subjective review of the B&W P9 headphones in IEEE Spectrum magazine, the Jan 2017 issue. I thought I was reading an article in The Absolute Sound, even mentioning Lyric HiFi in NYC. Spectrum is not a technical journal admittedly, the articles are written by freelance writers and they often are not electrical engineers or scientists, and the articles are not very technical, but for crying out loud, this is the IEEE, that charges me something like $300/yr in various dues. (Anyone can download the issue for free on the ieee.org web site. Take a peek.)
if sales a lagging, you may see the occasional T&A piece about Lady Gaga coming to the IEEE as well.
sometimes, publishers need the traffic and the bucks.
I am a lifelong national geographic guy. I see stuff there occasionally now that makes me roll my eyes.
like you said, if you live long enough, you will see stuff you never thought possible.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
if sales a lagging, you may see the occasional T&A piece about Lady Gaga coming to the IEEE as well.
sometimes, publishers need the traffic and the bucks.
I am a lifelong national geographic guy. I see stuff there occasionally now that makes me roll my eyes.
like you said, if you live long enough, you will see stuff you never thought possible.
Yeah I used to look at NatGeo when I was a kid for some of that T&A too albeit via various non-western cultures but it beat hell out of the sears catalog :) Sad that they're owned by Murdoch now, not even on my radar....

Will go take a peek at the IEEE article....

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Read it. Not sure what these guys think is going to happen. Don't they know most people don't care about high quality audio?
Agree, assuming this "technology" made any difference in quality whatsoever, in a phone.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
Nothing wrong with a subjective review if it's done the way that Floyd E. Toole & Sean Olive at Harman do theirs.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis