A question about Yamaha tranny's and transformers in general.

B

Bassman2

Audioholic
One of the things I've seen that has changed from when I was a home audio enthusiast in the 70's is the Torroidal transformers used in practically everything today. It used to be that everything had to have big iron in it in order to work good, but no more. Then I see that the Yamaha RX-V659 I recently bought has an "E-Core" tranny in it which just looks like a normal old fashioned tranny that spilled out the sides a bit. What is the difference, and WHY the difference?

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Transformers

When you say Tranny, I think transmission! :)

The turoidal transformers are slightly more effecient in the voltage conversion. This is why there are becomming common in higher end receivers and amplifiers. Nothing wrong with the E-core type in your RX-V659. It might have fit better in the chassis or been more cost effective.

B

Bassman2

Audioholic
When you say Tranny, I think transmission! :)

The turoidal transformers are slightly more effecient in the voltage conversion. This is why there are becomming common in higher end receivers and amplifiers. Nothing wrong with the E-core type in your RX-V659. It might have fit better in the chassis or been more cost effective.
Oh good, I was afraid you'd think "transexual" :p

A

Ampdog

Audioholic
They are smaller (lighter) since the cores (I think) are wound from grain-oriented steel. They should be less expensive as they are not necessarily layer wound with interleaving, but they are not (less expensive), at least locally. There is also the blurb that they have less leakage field - that is technically true, but not necessarily of practical implication. The round form can be more difficult to accomodate than a "block" form. (When having local winders, one can shape a narrow format using a thick stack, which can be convenient. With a toroid one is tied down to l x b x h.)

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
A toroid is more flexible because it can be different sizes. You can have a very tall toroid with small diameter or one with a large diameter and small height. And still be able to have the same specs.

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
Yamaha traditionally uses C core transformers, SONY uses toroid, I prefer the sound of C core, only in the Z-9 Yamaha deviated from their design and used toroid, I still rate the older Z-1 sound superior to Z-9, but thats me.

B

Bassman2

Audioholic
Yamaha traditionally uses C core transformers, SONY uses toroid, I prefer the sound of C core, only in the Z-9 Yamaha deviated from their design and used toroid, I still rate the older Z-1 sound superior to Z-9, but thats me.
The one I have in the 659 is refered to as "E" Core FWIW.

btw, I love those Yamaha NS-1000's you have pictured, a friend had a pair many years ago and I thought they were fantastic. When another friend was looking for new speaker suggestions back then (1979-80) I recommended the NS-500's to go with his Yammy integrated and Thorens TD-166 and he loved them. The mid driver in the 1000 was amazing IMO.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis