A question about speaker wattage.

B

B4icu2day

Audiophyte
I'm not new to the whole audio scene, but I did have a question regarding how to put more wattage into my speakers.

I own a Harman Kardon AVR 145.
It says in the manual that it gives 50 watts for 2 channels and 40 watts for a 5.1 setup

I am only worried about my main left and right speakers, because they are Polk Audio RTA-8T speakers, capable of 250 watts each.

They are ancient, (1988) But they sound great!

But I would like to have more wattage going through them to get some better response. I have heard about purchasing a separate amplifier for them, or even bi-amping them.

My question is how would I go about doing that? Are there certain inputs or a certain way to arrange chords to get this done? or what exactly should I buy?

If you would like some more information on the products I own I would be glad to help.

Thank you for your consideration.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
First off, here's a copy of your receivers owners manual, just in case you need one.

Now, to your question: To add an external power amplifier with more power, you need a receiver that has "preamp outputs" on the back. You would connect these to that external power amp and, naturally, your speakers to that external amp. Your reveivers internal plwer amp would not be used.

Now, the bad news: You can't do it. Your receiver does not have these outputs. You'll need to replace the receiver first.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
You can't, your receiver has no pre-outs. Without pre-outs on the back there is no way to connect an external amplifier to the receiver.

Also, passive bi-amping may technically yield benefits, it won't be benefits that will be audible so it's not worth it. If you need more power get a bigger amp because in practical terms passive bi-amping is more or less hocus pocus.

If you want to add an amplifier, unfortunately you'll need to upgrade the receiver as well.

B

B4icu2day

Audiophyte
Thank you for the information. I already had a copy of the manual, but thanks anyway.

I do however have a receiver that does have Pre-outs.
Its a NAD 7250PE (an ancient one that came with the ancient speakers)
and I'm currently using this for my other computer speakers.
(ive already read the manual for this one ;) )
I hear NAD is a good brand.

It does have Pre-outs, but in stereo, so I don't know how I would be able to use that in a 5.1 setup.
But just in case I would be using it, what power amplifier would you recommend? or what brands? Should I search for the term "power amplifier" or something else when I'm looking?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
It depends on a lot of things. There are many good amps out there at most price points.

Sounds to me like you're upgrading the wrong things. If I were you I'd ditch the two receivers you have, get a good good new one with a full set of pre-outs. Forget the amp for now then upgrade the speakers. I wouldn't spend any money on an amplifier before upgrading those polks.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
It sounds like your not understanding wattage correctly. It's somewhat of a useless spec to some degree.

What you should look at is the sensitivity of the speaker, impedance and room size. This will give you a better idea of whether you need more power. Just because a speaker says it can handle 250 watts does not mean it needs it.

Your speakers look to have an impedance of 6 ohms and a sensitivity of 89.00db. So if your room is not enormous you should be able to get over 100db from you current set up sitting 10ft away.

Another thing to keep in mind is every doubling of power only yields 3db more volume.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Speakers don't have a wattage, amps do. Speakers have a rating that usually indicates the amount of power that will kill them, not how much they need.

A 3dB increase in volume is a 50% difference, so while it sounds small, it is absolutely audible.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Let's not get too caught up in semantics.

Actually, a 3 decibel difference requires twice as power. But' out hearing is not linear as we would like to think, so that doubling of power correlates to a barely audible increase in sound. To effectively "double" the perceived loudness, we would need about ten times the power.

This might help explain that, particularly the chart about half-way down the page.

Now, how this relates to our real-world experiences is another matter. This nifty little link sort of puts this decibel crap into perspective with real world examples.

Ultimately, while we generally cruise at maybe a watt or so at normal listening levels, it's not uncommon that some hefty peaks could easily drive an amp into the danger zone if it doesn't have enough reserve power.

Personally, I believe that in the right hands and if one has common sense, one cannot have too much power. :D

Last edited:
B

B4icu2day

Audiophyte
Well despite all this I'm still very satisfied with the speakers I have now and the quality they put out. If I really have to go all those expensive lengths just for slightly louder sounds, then id rather just keep my current setup. My room is small anyway.

Thanks for all the help!

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Wise decision.

Well despite all this I'm still very satisfied with the speakers I have now and the quality they put out. If I really have to go all those expensive lengths just for slightly louder sounds, then id rather just keep my current setup. My room is small anyway.

Thanks for all the help!
Contentment in this hobby is to be envied.

Most of us "old timers" lived quite happily with less power than that for many, many years.

My office/gym/basement system only pumps out 30 wpc and it rocks.

Last edited:
M

Missionman

Junior Audioholic
+1 to the whole lot there..
Stuff the Amp whattage.. Pay more attention those speakers and their sensitivity :D
Higher sensitivity speakers means they are easier driven by the amp, there for more of what your after....
I used to own a 1w Tube amp and it used to rattle the nuts out of my living room walls and windows, not to mention rattling ornaments off my shelves...

Whattage is not important.. Many many people think it is... The more whats doesnt equal better and louder systems...
I ran a NAD 2x25w amp for quite a few years, and believe me when i say it was deafening, it defo wasnt the output whattage that did it, it was all down to owning the perfect set of speakers :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis