A History of Violence

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I watched it last night and was actually going to put up a thread on it recommending it. I've liked a number of Cronenberg's movies, not the least of which was Crash. I liked this movie as well, though it starts off fairly slow (once past the opening scene). It isn't a classic, but it was worth watching. Not for the weak hearted...it's got some serious moments; almost Tarantino-esque; not an action movie though. Violence is the key word here...so if you don't like it, this one may not be for you, because I'd put it up there with the likes of Reservoir Dogs. I felt this movie has a lot of fine detail to the characters, often shown through actions rather than words. I felt the cinematography was pretty decent too. Cronenberg has a good eye for detail and that showed very well in both this movie and Crash.

Last edited:
jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
It was *easily* my favorite movie of 2005.

Masterfully put together.

M

mardelgo

Junior Audioholic
Great movie. One of the best of this year. A lesson in directing and acting.

J

jmgillespie

Junior Audioholic
Good movie it should have gotten more attention in the theatres. I don't think its close to a Tarantino film the only similiarity is the violence and the quality of the script and acting. Other then that it doesn't feel like a QT film does.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I liked it a lot. I just wish the ending was better.

SheepStar

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
jmgillespie said:
Good movie it should have gotten more attention in the theatres. I don't think its close to a Tarantino film the only similiarity is the violence and the quality of the script and acting. Other then that it doesn't feel like a QT film does.
I wasn't saying it has the feel of a Tarantino film; rather just like you said - the violence strikes a chord.

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
I will have to rent this movie. I doubt the violence in will shake me in my boots as I have bought and loved High Tension and Devil's Rejects. I am looking forward to seeing These Hills Have Eyes.

Viggo's performance is Hildalgo was amazing as well as LOTR.

~Bob

J

jmgillespie

Junior Audioholic
Yeah it definately could have had a better ending, don't know what they could have done but its just blah at the end.

W

W_Harding

Junior Audioholic
I have not seen the DVD. My wife and I liked it when we saw it in the theatre and felt that it was one of the better movies of 2005. Recommended.

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
I thought it was 'just' OK. It's worth the rental and mildly entertaining. I give it 3 out of 5 stars.

I actually didn't like it. The violence didn't bother me - it was the gratuitous sex scenes. I kept trying to figure out why Viggo would do that after what is arguably a very budding career.

Then, to truly understand how out of touch Hollywood is, watch the Special features where they talk about how the MPAA made them alter the amount of blood spatter in 2 scenes... You see, the FULL FRONTAL NUDITY was no problem, but God forbid an extra teaspoon of blood gurgles up out of a guy's mouth.

Disappointing in my book. I'm not impressed by Cronenberg so far. Viggo, on the contrary, is apparently very impressed as he gives him a full lip plant at the Cannes preview (it's in the Extras). It looked to me like he went in for seconds but people got in the way.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Clint DeBoer said:
I actually didn't like it. The violence didn't bother me - it was the gratuitous sex scenes. I kept trying to figure out why Viggo would do that after what is arguably a very budding career.

Then, to truly understand how out of touch Hollywood is, watch the Special features where they talk about how the MPAA made them alter the amount of blood spatter in 2 scenes... You see, the FULL FRONTAL NUDITY was no problem, but God forbid an extra teaspoon of blood gurgles up out of a guy's mouth.

Disappointing in my book. I'm not impressed by Cronenberg so far. Viggo, on the contrary, is apparently very impressed as he gives him a full lip plant at the Cannes preview (it's in the Extras). It looked to me like he went in for seconds but people got in the way.
I'm glad I'm still at the age where I don't mind the odd sex scene. Did you see the Team America one? That was much worse then this. :D

SheepStar

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Clint DeBoer said:
I kept trying to figure out why Viggo would do that after what is arguably a very budding career.
In the last 19 years he's had parts in nearly 40 films and more than a few TV shows, and his career is only "budding"? My guess is after Hidalgo he wanted to wash his resume' out with something impressive. Like portraying a dual personality "average joe" (even his sex life is bland. Cheerleaders?!) and a psychotic mobster. Or maybe he knows that anything Croenenberg directs will wind-up on every "cult film" list that will ever be compiled. Or maybe he wanted a new car and the money was right.

B

Bevan

Audioholic
Clint DeBoer said:
"Then, to truly understand how out of touch Hollywood is, watch the Special features where they talk about how the MPAA made them alter the amount of blood spatter in 2 scenes... You see, the FULL FRONTAL NUDITY was no problem, but God forbid an extra teaspoon of blood gurgles up out of a guy's mouth."

Clint, you saying you think full frontal nudity should be deemed more offensive than hardcore violence? surely not? most of us see full frontal nudity every day, and rightly so. how many of us have seen blood gurgling out of someones, or woulnt be desturbed if we did? i'd rather movies inure my kids to nudity than human suffering. The nude scene had nothing even to do with sex. MPAA got it right for once i think.

I saw the film this week for the first time. Not bad, but not as impressive as i what i was expecting. talking about sex, the sex scene on the stairs was one scene i dint buy.

cheers

b.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I could have done without the sex scenes in that movie. They were there to make a statement about the relationship the two had, but I still could have done without them.

B

BMO

Junior Audioholic
Just finished watching it and was real pleased. One of the better movies in a long time. I felt , unlike most, that the ending was great.A man who taught his kids the moraly right things to do. Whos wife believed in the man she married. Only shocked to find out he was a man who had been the exact oppisite. A man who gave him the last name of " nobody" to a whole family . A man who ran from his past and put a family at risk for doing so.
Only Hollywood could have concocted a family waiting eagerly for there father to come home , open arms.He has some accounting to do.Like will there be yet another violent episode in there lives when another enemy of his comes nocking.Will the Family be at risk again.Probably a sequel in the works for this one.

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
The movie was going along alright, but then I thought the ending was quite boring and disappointing. I found myself waiting for a climax, and one never came.

B

bmac

Audioholic
Loved it!!!

The tempo was great. The story was intense, with the right amount of S&V.

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
Oh. My. God. How can a move called "The History of Violence" be so freaking BOOOORING!

Wow. I sat there thinking, "I've got better things to do, like clean the toilet or dust out the cobwebs in the basement."

I turned it off after an hour and did go do something else. Seriously boring movie.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis