A different approach to computer speakers.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Now that I have the subwoofer out of the way, my next project is to improve the sound of my main computer - the one I use to do my work with music often playing in the background. Currently I have sub/sat setup from Altec. It really is garbage. It sounds dark and muddy. Looking at options, I find the market pretty flooded with what I would describe as more expensive garbage than the garbage I have now. I thought perhaps an idea might be to get some regular home audio speakers and use a Teac 2 channel receiver I have in a closet upstairs. I could put the receiver in the corner of the desk, connect the sound card to it and put some inexpensive home audio speakers on the floor on either side of the desk. Here is what I mean by affordable. I can get these delivered for $180 for a pair. Add the price of a mini jack to RCA cable and I'd have something likely to sound better than a pair of $200 computer speakers. What do you think? Nutty idea?

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
For near field listening, the conventional approach with small bookshelf speakers, may be more appropriate for proper summing of tweeter and mid signals. I have no comment on the speakers you linked, but, forum wisdom says the Pioneer F52 or Infinity 363 are the budget towers of choice.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Not nutty at all. I personally would be considering different speakers, but it's very common to use a receiver and normal speakers with a computer. I've been doing it for a long time:

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Never heard of pure acoustics...
In my opinion tower speakers are huge overkill for pc audio.
If you already have teac receiver - You'd be much better of with these speakers:
HVL-1 Two-Way Loudspeaker | Wave Crest Audio
or these
CBM-170 SE High Performance Bookshelf Loudspeaker

get any cables/adapter from monoprice

If you get static/noises from pc soundcard, this should get this: (make sure to use rca line-out, not 3.5mm jack) - Behringer UCA202 Audio Interface | Amazon price tracker / tracking, Amazon price history charts, Amazon price watches, Amazon price drop alerts | camelcamelcamel.com

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I ran a "Y" connector fro my computers output and one leg goes to the Altec 2.1 speakers I use for day-to-day listening. The other leg goes to the "aux" input of a Marantz 2230 which drives a pair of Minimus 7's I had laying around in near-field configuration, along with a old, obsolete DBX passive sub I got from DAK around 1990 or so for when I really want to crank out.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I like Phillip's setup but I don't have room for bookshelf speakers. Actually, I have my computer on a credenza that already has a large laser printer on it. My wife uses the desk since she works with paper. I don't care what the speakers themselves are except that they would need to be either on a shelf that I install high on the wall or on the floor. I don't view it as overkill. I use the speakers to listen to music - one of the advantages of being self employed and having my office in my home. When the phone rings, I can just hit the mute button on the remote. I don't use computer audio for anything else. I was just surprised at what $200 would buy. I do understand the nearfield issues. These speakers are the same height as the credenza so the tweeters would be significantly below ear level. Perhaps I could find some taller ones or figure out a way to lean them. I've just gone to the end of my rope with the Altec computer speakers.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
By the way, Phillip, time for you to discover the advantages of a wireless mouse. You just put a battery or two in the mouse and plug a little receiver into a USB port and you can toss the mouse pad. I have a two battery Microsoft model on mine and one battery Logitech models on the other three computers.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Add the price of a mini jack to RCA cable and I'd have something likely to sound better than a pair of $200 computer speakers. What do you think? Nutty idea?
No need for towers... at near distance the drivers probably won't sum well Get some decent 2-way bookshelves as you will have more than enough output. Maybe some Salk WOW1s. I'm using these EMPs:

IMAG0263.jpg

And while they're probably missing the bottom two octaves, I'm very happy with them.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
By the way, Phillip, time for you to discover the advantages of a wireless mouse. You just put a battery or two in the mouse and plug a little receiver into a USB port and you can toss the mouse pad. I have a two battery Microsoft model on mine and one battery Logitech models on the other three computers.
I'd still want a mousepad. Not using one is weird and depending on the mouse sensor, it might not work properly on my desk.

The main reason why I use wired mice is because I am an old counterstrike player (still play every once in awhile) and don't want to suffer from any possible latency when every millisecond counts :)

I have something like 6 or 7 more mice and 7 or 8 more mousepads in a cabinet :D

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I understand. I used wired mice until last years. I was just confident in them. I wouldn't go back now, though. I think I have the solution to my computer speaker issue. I have an old sub/sat system from Boston Acoustics in my exercise room. I could nestle the sats on either side of my display and put the sub under the cadenza where the Altec sub is now. The sat mid ranges are only about 4". Then finding some new speakers for the exercise room will be pretty simple. I think I'll haul it all down here and set it up to see how it sounds.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Now that I have the subwoofer out of the way, my next project is to improve the sound of my main computer - the one I use to do my work with music often playing in the background. Currently I have sub/sat setup from Altec. It really is garbage. It sounds dark and muddy. Looking at options, I find the market pretty flooded with what I would describe as more expensive garbage than the garbage I have now. I thought perhaps an idea might be to get some regular home audio speakers and use a Teac 2 channel receiver I have in a closet upstairs. I could put the receiver in the corner of the desk, connect the sound card to it and put some inexpensive home audio speakers on the floor on either side of the desk. Here is what I mean by affordable. I can get these delivered for $180 for a pair. Add the price of a mini jack to RCA cable and I'd have something likely to sound better than a pair of $200 computer speakers. What do you think? Nutty idea?
If I were in your situation, I would maybe consider a pair of active studio monitors, but it might be a bit over what you wanted to spend (unless you go with M-Audio). Mount on the wall and point them down towards me.

If you insist on towers in the $200 range, then I suspect there is better out there for the money than what you listed. As mentioned, the P363 or AJ Pios come to mind immediately.

Some other possible contenders in the $200 range:
Fluance-Dynamic Compact Three-way Hifi Speakers
BOSTON ACOUSTICS A250 2-Way Dual 5.25" Floor Standing Speaker EA White | Accessories4less

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
This is what I set up for my daughter using a t-amp with a built-in USB DAC;

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Phillip, do have an issue connecting your sound card to the receiver input? I worry about putting an amplified signal into a line level input. Or do you have a sound card with line level outputs?

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I'm using an optical connection from my motherboard to my receiver :)

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I agree. The receiver I plan to use has no DAC and no digital connections.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
in that case you can buy something like the Behringer UCA202 that BSA suggested. It's only ~$35. Connect it to your computer via USB and it has RCA/line-outs.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis