A Detailed Look at the Importance of Proper Loudspeaker Cabinet Bracing

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Okay, I'm checking out a new brand that looks interesting. I need some small speakers for a den and the ones I'm looking at are made out of Baltic birch ply also using the layer cabinet contruction that was mentioned earlier in this thread.

Whats the advantage of baltic birch ply and a stacked cabinet? Is it worth the extra costs?
From EbenLee Audio perhaps?

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Okay, so who EbenLee? Never heard of them.
They've been around for less then 2 years (I've been working with them for about a year now). They're a small shop that specializes in hand-made and custom speakers. Everything they do is geared towards sonic purity, structure integrity and exquisite finishes. EbenLee's website is here.

They're the only company I know of who are doing all the things Selb4itkicksit mentioned, so I assume that's who he's alluding to.

T

Twexcom

Audioholic

I wonder what the reasoning is (or difference) behind so many horizontal braces, instead of one full length vertical brace?
I think one vertical brace would resonate as well, because it is still wood, it would just be like another wall.

I'm not certain, though.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
I think one vertical brace would resonate as well, because it is still wood, it would just be like another wall.
Run the vertical brace from the right side of the cabinet to the left side.

Now there is no front-to-back bracing except at the sides, and the right and left walls are divided into two smaller right and left walls which are still resonant. (and yes, the brace itself could).

Run it front to back and the same problems exist as above, only rotated 90 degrees.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis