I didn't know you had a Ferrari. :D
There are 2 types of people in this world:
1. those that own Ferrari's
2. those that own Ferrari shirts

I am in the #2 :rolleyes:

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Thank you for you contribution, Dr. Olive; always appreciated.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I'd say when you need a forklift to move it up the stairs. :D

I didn't know you had a Ferrari. :D
You can always hire the local football team to move them up the stairs

There are 2 types of people in this world:
1. those that own Ferrari's
2. those that own Ferrari shirts

I am in the #2 :rolleyes:
There are 10 kinds of people: Those who can count binary and those who don't :p

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Agreed. I suppose this is why I like putting so many braces in a speaker. :D
There also comes a point where over analyzing a situation can be counterproductive, especially if the analysis isn't accurate enough to reveal the problem. Common sense and a good understanding of mechanics will get you pretty far. I see little point it trying to justify using 1 less brace or trying to nickle and dime the cost of the end product when you can just error on the side of caution and over design the product a bit to ensure it has good performance. I've never heard of an overbraced cabinet causing performance issues but the exact opposite is almost a certainty, especially when dealing with large panels.

When I worked for the government, I designed a Red/Black speaker to separate classified and unclassified audio signals and then allow them to be amplified on a common speaker. The design goal was to hit 90dB at 1 meters from 200Hz to 4kHz using a single 4" driver. I blew that out of the water when I tested my design and it output 96dB from 150Hz to 6kHz! I actually had to scale the amp power down a bit to lower SPL down to 93dB. The Generals and all high ranking officials came to a demo and 3 of them commented on how this new Speaker sounded better than their home theater systems. All I could do was smile as my boss the prior day scolded me that I over designed the product. Guess what the end result was? The Military expanded their contract and hired us again to design another related product for them :)

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Agreed. I suppose this is why I like putting so many braces in a speaker. :D
I've never heard of an overbraced cabinet causing performance issues but the exact opposite is almost a certainty, especially when dealing with large panels.
I haven't either, Gene, but it could be possible, and that's the question I want answered. At what point does over-bracing become potentially detrimental to the sound instead of beneficial? We might simply be chasing our tails on this one, but I would be curious to know. Until then I'll take over-braced over under-braced every time.

DavidW

DavidW

Audioholics Contributing Writer
That's the key question: at what point does the bracing/cabinet no longer contribute towards an audible improvement?

If the cabinet resonances are below the masked detection threshold, then you are over-engineering the speaker. Remember that for resonances at higher-medium Q-values, the level of the cabinet resonances must be almost as high as the output of the transducers to be audible.

So to answer the question, you need to apply a psychoacoustic model to the FEA output of the speaker cabinet to determine if the bracing produces audible changes.
There is an intermediate step required, which would be to do a coupled field analysis of the fluid-structure interaction to calculate the response of the air to the cabinet movement. From this analysis, the acoustic output across the frequency band of concern could be calculated. In general, because sound pressure amplitude is a function volumetric change, larger panel movements will always produce more sound. The amount of sound depends on the amount of coupling of movement between the panel and the surrounding air, which can be described as radiation efficiency.

Whether or not sound produced at any given frequency and amplitude would be directly perceptible to the human ear is an additional question that is far from fully understood. Part of the high end audio experience is to capture sounds present in the original performance that we cannot hear, but because of how these inaudible signals interact with what we can hear, it affects our perception of fidelity. Spend time in a large concert hall with an orchestra or wind ensemble, one will be aware of very low frequency pressure changes in the hall that can not be directly heard, but affect how what is heard sounds. Bring in the percussion and low brass and it is obvious. Any reproduction system that cannot recreate these effects to some extent will not transport the listener to that hall. Such occurrences are the justification for extended frequency response above and below audible frequencies.

There is also an issue with indirect perception. Some examples of indirect perception are good, like the concert hall cited above, and some are not. Every loudspeaker ever made colors sound a little differently from every other loudspeaker and none of them produce the exact sound of the actual live music. This coloration comes from indirectly perceptible factors in the response of the loudspeaker. The problem here is that the more indirect the effect is, the harder it is to include in a mathematical reconstruction of human hearing.

Now throw in time delays from potential energy of the strain pushed into the cabinet and back out into the air at a slightly later time, and the question become harder to quantify. A stiffer cabinet will both reduce the amount of strain (i.e. less deformation) that absorbs energy and decreases the time delay because of the increase to the speed of wave propagation as this energy accordions into and out of the system.

To answer the original question is that potential audibility of cabinet resonances will be specific to a particular cabinet design, so there are no hard and fast rules, just good design practices that generally lead to good results, but not always. A particular cabinet geometry may need more or less bracing than a different cabinet design to be considered acceptable. But, when has merely being acceptable been acceptable to an audiophile?

In the end, a stiffer cabinet will produce a smaller amplitude of air movement and therefore less unwanted sound, regardless of if it is directly perceptible or not.

David

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
In the end, a stiffer cabinet will produce a smaller amplitude of air movement and therefore less unwanted sound, regardless of if it is directly perceptible or not.
I do agree and I do think there is more than one way to achieve this. I personally found the rib matrix(now I'm hungry for ribs) to be very effective.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I haven't either, Gene, but it could be possible, and that's the question I want answered. At what point does over-bracing become potentially detrimental to the sound instead of beneficial? We might simply be chasing our tails on this one, but I would be curious to know. Until then I'll take over-braced over under-braced every time.
The only time too much bracing can be detrimental is if the braces aren't properly sized and coupled to the panels or if there are simply too many braces and it compromises internal volume.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
it compromises internal volume.
Bracing should always be factored into internal volume. I think you'd really have to try in order to hurt a speaker by bracing it. Certainly some bracing methods are more helpful than others. The main challenge with bracing for me is dealing with the driver mounting and voice coil.

I use oak, but it's by no means cheap. I often wonder how it would compare to 2x4.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
I do agree and I do think there is more than one way to achieve this. I personally found the rib matrix(now I'm hungry for ribs) to be very effective.
"I had ribs for lunch, that's why I'm doing this." -Ron Burgundy
:D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
The Lipzhitz et al. paper "An Investigation of Sound Radiation by Loudspeaker Cabinets" was written in 1991 -- 3 years after Floyd Toole and I published our paper on the detection of resonances, "The Modification of Timbre by Resonance: Perception and Measurement"

In re-reading the Lipshitz paper they conclude that some of the cabinet resonances on the worst-case speakers may be audible or "borderline audible" on certain signals based on our predictions of audibility of resonances.

The audibility of a resonance depends on its amplitude, Q, frequency and the signal exciting it (steady-state versus transient). The audibility of a resonance at a given level increases as the resonant frequency increases, and the Q decreases. So shifting the resonance up in frequency and lowering its Q will increase its audibility -- all things being equal.
Thanks for the title and the date. :D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

WHen I press my hands against the desk it does seem to be excited by the bass energy (msot likely transmitted through the air but maybe through the underside) ....
One way to find out, either lift up the speaker and suspend it somehow, someone holding it or an isolation mat, and feel the table if it still has that energy in it.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Maybe if you cut Tom's salary a little you'll be able to swing the MoPads from the Audioholics Store.

I would have thought that they have some sort of perks with the store;):D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I use oak, but it's by no means cheap. I often wonder how it would compare to 2x4.
By 2x4 I'm sure you mean using pine and milling it down but this article from JL Audio suggests using the same type of wood for braces as you used for the enclosure (at the very bottom of the page). In another of their articles they say to never use presswood so that eliminates presswood as a material for bracing. I see Annunaki use MDF for bracing all the time.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
By 2x4 I'm sure you mean using pine and milling it down but this article from JL Audio suggests using the same type of wood for braces as you used for the enclosure (at the very bottom of the page). In another of their articles they say to never use presswood so that eliminates presswood as a material for bracing. I see Annunaki use MDF for bracing all the time.
Audio Physic used a specific sort of wood in their Medea speaker (read. very expensive speaker), which is the same as was used in tanks ages ago, they claim, extremely tough wood, not sure what this is, probably extremely expensive, but also probably extremely "dead", anyone know what kind of wood we're talking about here :p

Selb4itkicksit

Selb4itkicksit

Audiophyte
Speaker Building using layers as seen in pic above

What's the major benefit of using a layered cabinet like this? I've found some I want to buy and they seem well built. The boxes are CNC cut and all. So I would like to know a bit more about the advantages of a caibnet built this way.

Any help would be apprecieated.

Selb4itkicksit

Selb4itkicksit

Audiophyte
Baltic Birch ply?

Okay, I'm checking out a new brand that looks interesting. I need some small speakers for a den and the ones I'm looking at are made out of Baltic birch ply also using the layer cabinet contruction that was mentioned earlier in this thread.

Whats the advantage of baltic birch ply and a stacked cabinet? Is it worth the extra costs?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis