A couple of updated pictures....

Ax-man

Ax-man

Audioholic
Been a while since I posted my last pictures of the screen room turned music/movie room. I've tidied up a little , added the burgundy paint and the bass traps ... still a few items to tend but it's all coming together well.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
beautiful setup ... what made you decide with di/bi-polar surrounds vs. monopolar?

Ax-man

Ax-man

Audioholic
Thanks Mike ... actually I have a pair of Axiom M60Ti (M80Ti's pictured) floor standing speakers that I was originally going to use as rear surrounds in the room but I was having difficulty finding decent placement so I therefore went with four Axiom QS8s, I'm very happy with them and they fill the room very well.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Really nice looking room. Did you make those traps, or purchase them?

Hows the Mitsubishi doing?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Looks like you opted for the near-field subwoofer spot. How is that working for yourself?

SheepStar

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
Wow! Your room looks great. I really like the Stevie Ray Vaughn and BB King pictures in the background. The CD/DVD shelf built into the wall is a nice touch, too. It looks you really put some thouhgt into the room.

Jack

H

hillbill

Audioholic
I have to say man, that is the best looking room I have ever seen on this forum. Simply beautiful. I also find it very inspiring. Great, great job. You and your family should be very proud.

majorloser

majorloser

I must say, those full length bass traps look GREAT!!!
The different color on the front wall really made the room "pop".

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

I also liked the way you painted the lip on the ceiling to match the side walls. Very subtle, but really makes it match. Did you design the room yourself or hire someone to do it?

Jack

D

DDigitalguy06

Audioholic
WOW! very impressive setup. way better then mine.very nice. :D

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I also agree that your setup is absolutely beautiful.

May I also ask for your impressions of the Axiom speakers? My room will not be a dedicated HT space as is yours but looks similar in terms of mostly bare walls and large windows. Without extensive room treatments as you have done, do you think Axiom speakers would sound 'bright' (exaggerated high frequencies) given their aluminum tweeters and woofers?

Ax-man

Ax-man

Audioholic
Thanks for the kind words everybody, I just hope I can give somebody a few ideas just I like got from this and other HT forums. The room dimensions are 25'x 14' x 7'3" (flat).

Mazer, the bass traps are four GIK bass traps...I had to cut two to be able to stack them from the floor to ceiling, the GIK traps only came in 48" length so therefore I took a set apart and cut them myself.
Thus far the 73" Mits is holding up exceptionally well, we're very pleased with the TV.

Sheep, this subwoofer was originally placed both inside and outside of the right front main but for the life of me I couldn't ever get the thing dialed in for nothing, a couple of folks suggested the mid-sidewall all along but I didn't believe it would have looked good there nor did I believe it would make *that* much of a difference...boy was I ever wrong! Whenever I finally moved the sub immediately the thing came to life and a couple of graphs proved it, with just a little further tweaking it seemed as though we gained a whole new dimension with the whole system.

Jack Hammer, actually we did design the complete room ... the fellow helping me, my wife and myself actually came up with most of the ideas while kicking down a few cold beers (wine for her!) in the evenings and after spending most of the day working on the room, there were some weird ideas that came up after a few beers! We really had a lot of fun doing this room and saved a boatload of cash by doing 95% of the work ourselves.

MDS, to me the Axioms are not bright but they are a detailed speaker ... if you throw in a very good recording the sound is amazing but then again if you throw in some not so good recordings they sound not so good. I did have this system in a tiled floor room without any treatments and didn't believe they sounded bright or harsh at all *but* then again, hearing is subjective and what may not sound bright to me may be very bright to somebody else. I believe there may be an Axiom owner in the Austin area who may be kind enough to let you take a listen his system, go to the Axiom site and check out the 'Audition' thread in the 'Hearing Things' forum.

B

Buckeye_Nut

Ax-man,

Very nice!! I remember when you were first researching bass traps, and I can see you've come a long way:cool:

I also like how you painted the front wall. Not only does it look nice during the day, but most importantly................ now it will melt away and disappear while watching movies in the dark.

F

FGF

Audiophyte
What happened to your tri traps and why did you decide to use only bass traps instead of a combination of panels like 242's 244's and tri traps???

Ax-man

Ax-man

Audioholic
Buckeye ... man it is very nice the way that back wall just fades away whenever the lights are dimmed down! I've tried all of the panels but I believe due to the window on the left and the media storage on the right I am getting a lot of deflection of sound and just couldn't tell much different with them in place ... the bass traps on the other hand, I can tell quite a difference.

FGF ... The floor to ceiling bass traps are the GIK Tri-Traps, I had to cut and modify a pair to make them fit on top of each other. As mentioned above I did try and still have four panels but just couldn't tell much of a difference, with either my ears or the graph.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Here's just one more picture I'd like to share (then I'll quit!). This is the view from the driver's seat, David Gilmour with his Fender in the Pink Floyd's 'P.U.L.S.E.' DVD ... the bass on 'Learning To Fly' and 'Sorrow' is phenomenal!

Last edited:
B

Buckeye_Nut

Ax-man,

That looks fantastic!! I see Glen used your pic on the GIK website. You should send him an updated photo now that you've upgraded further. Is that a panel hanging top-center on the wall, or do you still use a 2nd center speaker up top?

If you have not already done so, I'd recommend you try hanging a panel horizontally top-center on the front wall behind your TV, and see how it sounds. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. When I did that, I felt the additional absorption up front really cleaned up the sound from my center speaker. If you have extra panels, I'd lay one horizontally on the floor behind your bottom center speaker as well. I realize the backing of your TV stand might reflect too much to allow it to do it's job well, but it might be fun to try if you have the extra panels lying around.

PS.... Black plate covers on the front wall would look AWESOME!!

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis