A computer audio section

M

mudrummer99

Senior Audioholic
There seem to be more and more questions regarding computer sound. I personally have had many questions and I notice that many other people have them as well. A section devoted completely to computer audio I think would be a great credit to all of the users since they usually get dumped into the general AV chat area. Thanks for the consideration.

Mike

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
This is what the General Discussion Forum is for. Plenty of computer speaker threads have been made in there, all with answers.

SheepStar

M

mudrummer99

Senior Audioholic
This is what the General Discussion Forum is for. Plenty of computer speaker threads have been made in there, all with answers.

SheepStar
Right, but what would be wrong with having a separate section for it? It would make it easier than wading through tons of general posts to find exactly what it is you're looking for. I just think it would be a nice addition to be able to centralize an extremely quickly growing portion of this hobby, that's all.

Mike

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I just think it would be a nice addition to be able to centralize an extremely quickly growing portion of this hobby, that's all.
I agree, Mike. People can handle not having one, but it makes sense to seriously consider (or reconsider, if that be the case) adding that section due to changes in how we store and interact with media.

jinjuku

jinjuku

It's been metioned before.

I advocated for an HTPC section last year. I even offered to Mod it for them... I would like to see a computer centric section (not just audio).

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Right, but what would be wrong with having a separate section for it? It would make it easier than wading through tons of general posts to find exactly what it is you're looking for. I just think it would be a nice addition to be able to centralize an extremely quickly growing portion of this hobby, that's all.

Mike
Sure, lets make a section for every little thing, It will only take 10 minutes to scroll down and find the section you're looking for.

General Sections are there for a reason. For all the stuff that is too small to warrant it's own section. There hasn't been enough PC talk, or PC speaker system talk to warrant it's own section.

SheepStar

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
A computer audio section would be ok with me and I'm sure I'd answer a question or two in there but I agree that it is not strictly necessary.

I think it fits just fine in 'general audio questions' as in 'I have this source device, how do I get analog/digital audio from it to my receiver?' Yes there are some specifics relating to a computer/sound card as a source device but there just aren't that many questions on it...yet.

jinjuku

jinjuku

A computer audio section would be ok with me and I'm sure I'd answer a question or two in there but I agree that it is not strictly necessary.

I think it fits just fine in 'general audio questions' as in 'I have this source device, how do I get analog/digital audio from it to my receiver?' Yes there are some specifics relating to a computer/sound card as a source device but there just aren't that many questions on it...yet.
Which could all be handled in a HTPC section. Basically anything A/V related with computers. This is a growing, not shrinking segment. Heck you now have 5.1 amps with USB 2.0 built right in (decoding and everything) so you don't even need a traditional receiver. Just a tuner card (ATSC/FM/AM).

M

mudrummer99

Senior Audioholic
Sure, lets make a section for every little thing, It will only take 10 minutes to scroll down and find the section you're looking for.

General Sections are there for a reason. For all the stuff that is too small to warrant it's own section. There hasn't been enough PC talk, or PC speaker system talk to warrant it's own section.

SheepStar
So computer/HTPC based audio is a little thing huh? Why don't we post a poll and see how many members have or are planning on integrating and HTPC into their setup or are interested in a computer based audio setup in a secondary listening room. We'll see how little it is then.

Mike

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
So computer/HTPC based audio is a little thing huh? Why don't we post a poll and see how many members have or are planning on integrating and HTPC into their setup or are interested in a computer based audio setup in a secondary listening room. We'll see how little it is then.

Mike
What is a HTPC considered?

What is, a Source? *CORRECT* It can go in the source section.

What do you with with an HTPC?

What is, play games (Gaming Sections), play music (again, source section) and DVDs/BDs/HDDVDs(?) (What do you know, source). *CORRECT*

What do you do if you need help with building up a computer?

What is, go to a PC forum? *CORRECT* There is better forums that have more know-how regarding PC parts and building then AH.

Thank you for playing Audioholic Jeopardy!

SheepStar

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I may be way off base here, but I'm starting to think that Sheep doesn't want a computer audio section. :)

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I may be way off base here, but I'm starting to think that Sheep doesn't want a computer audio section. :)
Hey, this isn't a question of wants, it's a question of needs.

Psh, no body needs anything.

SheepStar

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hey, this isn't a question of wants, it's a question of needs.
I'd say it's both. IMO, it's a quesion of what the members want and what the owners think they need to add (to keep the members happy and/or keep the forum efficient).

BTW, have you looked at some of the sections on this forum lately? I can't imagine that computer audio is of less interest to a lot of people than some of the sections here.

EDIT: Oh, and for the record, I don't care if they add that section or not. I just think that it should be considered, and I like Mike's idea of having a poll.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I'd say it's both. IMO, it's a quesion of what the members want and what the owners think they need to add (to keep the members happy and/or keep the forum efficient).

BTW, have you looked at some of the sections on this forum lately? I can't imagine that computer audio is of less interest to a lot of people than some of the sections here.

EDIT: Oh, and for the record, I don't care if they add that section or not. I just think that it should be considered, and I like Mike's idea of having a poll.
Would that be an accurate poll? Everyone voting wouldn't have to give up anything, or do any work to get it. So if an admin voted no, its done. Sure, there is a lot of sections that people want, but that doens't mean they need it.

If you can find 100 threads about PC audio, you should get a section.

SheepStar

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
If you can find 100 threads about PC audio, you should get a section.

SheepStar
And so it is written, and so it shall be done.

I'd look, but again, I don't care. I'd bet a six-pack that there's more than 100 threads on that, though.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
And so it is written, and so it shall be done.

I'd look, but again, I don't care. I'd bet a six-pack that there's more than 100 threads on that, though.
I'm not talking about the words "PC" and "Audio" coming up 100 times. No no, this is titles such as "Need help with a PC speaker system" or "PC Audio forums are totally useless, help me with my PC audio system".

SheepStar

I'm about ready to add a portables section since we seem to have a ton of those topics and reviews floating around...

Along the lines of what Sheep is saying, I work on a "critical mass" train of thought - if it's naturally growing big then I'm all for splitting it out.

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
A PC section would suffer from the same thing as at AVS forum. Bunch of 14 years old debating on new video cards.

Sheep is being an a$$ by answering that way but he is right. I like the site as it is. Clean and simple.

jinjuku

jinjuku

What is a HTPC considered?

What is, a Source? *CORRECT* It can go in the source section.

What do you with with an HTPC?

What is, play games (Gaming Sections), play music (again, source section) and DVDs/BDs/HDDVDs(?) (What do you know, source). *CORRECT*

What do you do if you need help with building up a computer?

What is, go to a PC forum? *CORRECT* There is better forums that have more know-how regarding PC parts and building then AH.

Thank you for playing Audioholic Jeopardy!

SheepStar
The HTPC is all in how you tend to look at it. You see it as a Source device, I see it as a hub/concentrator device.

The PC simply isn't a source like a DVD/BD/HD-DVD player. I have EVERYTHING running through my HTPC: AM/FM/DVD/OTA/CABLE/MUSIC. With 5.1 and 7.1 USB enable amps that have DD and DTS, a receiver isn't even needed. Place's your opinion in a different light now.

Instead of having to hit 4 different forums depending on the role that your HTPC is currently serving, there would only be one. There is a difference when you are having a problem with a dvd player and having a problem with a computer acting as a DVD player.

I am on many other tech sites and they don't degenerate into 14 year olds talking about what the best gaming card is. As a matter of fact I often steer people from sites like Anand Tech and The Tech Report to AH.

I also agree I like the clean look of AH vs HTShack or AVSFORUM... That is why I spend my energies here than those sites for most things. I think a HTPC forum will help serve those asking for it and keep the sight clean and organized.

I realize that what you are saying is simply an opinion, please do the same for what you have written. The whole snarky "Thanks for playing Jeopardy" smacks of arrogance, that you think your opinion somehow constitutes fact when it does not.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis