A Budget DIY Subwoofer Strictly For 2-Channel Listening. Any Thoughts Audiophiles?

lifestyle

lifestyle

Audioholic
Can anyone give comment on this particular DIY Subwoofer? I've heard some negativity on the "bass boost" feature - which I don't understand the technical aspect as to why - or why not this is good or bad. It's an acoustic suspension design (sealed unit), and seems to be a good buy at $323.58. Any educated advice would be appreciated.... Kurt. :)

Dayton Audio 10" Reference Series HO Subwoofer and Cabinet Bundle $183.78
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-10-reference-series-ho-subwoofer-and-cabinet-bundle--300-7091

Dayton Audio SPA250 250 Watt Subwoofer Plate Amplifier $139.80
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-spa250-250-watt-subwoofer-plate-amplifier--300-803

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Looks pretty nice, but I don't have any info. With only one review, I'd assume it is fairly new.
Hopefully, others will know more than I do on this. It may be an excellent sub, but if you don't get further input, I'd let it go. There are too many products with full data available to gamble on an unknown.

lifestyle

lifestyle

Audioholic
Looks pretty nice, but I don't have any info. With only one review, I'd assume it is fairly new.
Hopefully, others will know more than I do on this. It may be an excellent sub, but if you don't get further input, I'd let it go. There are too many products with full data available to gamble on an unknown.
Thanks KEW, I read on one of your posts of a recommendation of a Dayton Audio sub (fully assembled), was one that you liked. If you know of any other of the Dayton Audio Subs that are "DIY", Please let me know. I think i'd rather have a 10" over a 12" - but a 12 is'nt out of the question...

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I recommend the SUB-1200 because I have spent time with it and know it is a solid performed worth more than the $150 shipped price.
If you must downsize recognize that you are giving away the deeper bass as well as output (volume). There is no replacement for displacement! Physics cannot be denied. Most likely, the SUB-1000 was designed by the same people that put together the SUB-1200, with the compromises needed to make a 10" sub. However, I only heard the SUB1200!
With that said, at 10", you are really starting to leave the realm of a subwoofer (with HT LFE-Low Frequency Effects) and end up with a good woofer for rounding out your speakers for music. If that is what you want, good, but if HT is important, go with the 12" model.

lifestyle

lifestyle

Audioholic
I recommend the SUB-1200 because I have spent time with it and know it is a solid performed worth more than the $150 shipped price.
If you must downsize recognize that you are giving away the deeper bass as well as output (volume). There is no replacement for displacement! Physics cannot be denied. Most likely, the SUB-1000 was designed by the same people that put together the SUB-1200, with the compromises needed to make a 10" sub. However, I only heard the SUB1200!
With that said, at 10", you are really starting to leave the realm of a subwoofer (with HT LFE-Low Frequency Effects) and end up with a good woofer for rounding out your speakers for music. If that is what you want, good, but if HT is important, go with the 12" model.
Ok, So if i'm only looking for a sub for 2-channel listening ( I don't really watch TV, let alone movies - no interest in HT), then 10" will work? But you still feel better about 12" - yes? :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Ok, So if i'm only looking for a sub for 2-channel listening ( I don't really watch TV, let alone movies - no interest in HT), then 10" will work? But you still feel better about 12" - yes? :)
Yes.
I have paired the SUB-1200 with Pioneer bookshelves and used Audyssey to manage EQ and bass crossover. I felt the end result was very nice for music!

What speakers do you plan to use?

lifestyle

lifestyle

Audioholic
Yes.
I have paired the SUB-1200 with Pioneer bookshelves and used Audyssey to manage EQ and bass crossover. I felt the end result was very nice for music!

What speakers do you plan to use?
I have'nt decided that yet, there are "lots" of options for bookshelf speakers for $300.00 or less. Considering a set of DIY bookshelfs too. A few considerations:

CBM-170 SE BOOKSHELF MONITOR
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cbm170/cbm170.html

HVL-1 Two-Way Loudspeaker

http://www.wavecrestaudio.com/products/hvl-1-two-way-loudspeaker-pair

ELAC DEBUT B6
http://static1.squarespace.com/static/55181e1de4b0187304f87afc/t/5564d9c3e4b037fb528aa38d/1432672707775/ELAC_DebutB6.pdf

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I need to add that I believe Audyssey audibly improved the SQ of the Pioneer speakers.
Since you do not plan to use Audyssey, you need to pay extra attention to your speakers.
If you can be patient, Dennis Murphy is working on some modded speakers that will fall in the $200 range. I would give them a very close look because he has consistently provided good neutral sound.
I heard the HVL-1 yesterday. I would cross them off of your list. I had recommended them in the past based on reputation, but when I heard them, I found them disappointing!
Edit. I revisited the HVL-1's and one of them is defective!

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I have'nt decided that yet, there are "lots" of options for bookshelf speakers for $300.00 or less. Considering a set of DIY bookshelfs too. A few considerations:

ELAC DEBUT B6
http://static1.squarespace.com/static/55181e1de4b0187304f87afc/t/5564d9c3e4b037fb528aa38d/1432672707775/ELAC_DebutB6.pdf
Tbh these are some of currently finest budget speakers around.
Aj's debut though probably not be available before September
Also look at elac debut subs. Smartphone calibration seems very interesting feature

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

ELAC DEBUT B6
I haven't used any of these woofers and I have only used one of their plate amps but one thing I have found- a variable control for phase, rather than a simple 0°/180° switch, makes it easier to get the sound right. It's used for synchronize the sound from the main speakers and sub and it minimizes the need to move the speakers (main speakers, relative to the sub) as much.

One thing that makes a big difference in the sound is the actual position of the speakers. In a book case, the options are limited but on stands, you have more ability to place them in a good spot. The sub needs to be in its own "happy place" in the room and smooth bass is the goal.

lifestyle

lifestyle

Audioholic
I haven't used any of these woofers and I have only used one of their plate amps but one thing I have found- a variable control for phase, rather than a simple 0°/180° switch, makes it easier to get the sound right. It's used for synchronize the sound from the main speakers and sub and it minimizes the need to move the speakers (main speakers, relative to the sub) as much.

One thing that makes a big difference in the sound is the actual position of the speakers. In a book case, the options are limited but on stands, you have more ability to place them in a good spot. The sub needs to be in its own "happy place" in the room and smooth bass is the goal.
Thanks highfigh. Would the variable phase control be of the 'same' necessity if this system is strictly for 2-channel music listening?

lifestyle

lifestyle

Audioholic
Tbh these are some of currently finest budget speakers around.
Aj's debut though probably not be available before September
Also look at elac debut subs. Smartphone calibration seems very interesting feature
Thanks Bored, I've been seeing alot of buzz about these and other budget speakers...

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks highfigh. Would the variable phase control be of the 'same' necessity if this system is strictly for 2-channel music listening?
Yes. In the crossover region, it's important for the sound from the sub and main speakers to arrive at the same time. An either/or switch can work, but only if the speakers are in the correct position, by chance- it's harder to find that spot through trial and error and the sub's best location isn't usually where the main speakers sound best.

lifestyle

lifestyle

Audioholic
Yes. In the crossover region, it's important for the sound from the sub and main speakers to arrive at the same time. An either/or switch can work, but only if the speakers are in the correct position, by chance- it's harder to find that spot through trial and error and the sub's best location isn't usually where the main speakers sound best.
Ok, so as far as the plate Amp goes, more-than-likely, i'm looking for 3 variable knobs: a gain, frequency, and phase control - yes?

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
lifestyle, how many cubic feet is the room for which you're assembling your 2.1 system? A couple weeks ago I modeled a DIY Sonosub based on an 8" RE Audio driver that might fit your budget and application. It won't fill a cave, but it should do well in an average bedroom on modest power.

lifestyle

lifestyle

Audioholic
lifestyle, how many cubic feet is the room for which you're assembling your 2.1 system? A couple weeks ago I modeled a DIY Sonosub based on an 8" RE Audio driver that might fit your budget and application. It won't fill a cave, but it should do well in an average bedroom on modest power.
Hi Rojo, it'll be about 2 hundred sq ft. As subwoofer plate amplifiers go, is it possible to get quality one inexpensively. Is there a brand name that makes good ones from the low - high end? Do you know?

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Unless you plan to rattle the windows, that sonosub would probably be a worthwhile option to consider in that size room I think. As far as amp goes, will you be using a receiver with a subwoofer or LFE pre-out? If so, you could just stalk eBay for a good deal on just about any mono or bridgeable 2-channel amp that'll handle a single 4 ohm load -- the Marantz MA-500U, for example. If you'll be feeding full range signal to the sub amp, you'll need an amp with a low pass filter though. I guess that's why you're concentrating on plate amps, isn't it?

Regardless of what bargains you discover, I wouldn't spend more than $190. You can get a brand new Crown XLS-1000 on Amazon for that. As far as plate amps go, they're pretty much all made in China and rebranded for the reseller. I wouldn't really recommend any one over any other, save for one exception for a specific application. If you plan to build or buy a sealed sub, then the openly documented resistor values of the BASH amps sold by Parts Express may offer you the opportunity to modify the amp and add a tailored boost to flatten the response at the bottom end a bit. Creative Sound Solutions sells the same BASH plate amps, and can perform the modifications for you for $15 (last time I checked).

Here's an example potential bargain: if you could snipe this Niles SWA-500M for $75 + shipping, I'd consider that a great deal.

lifestyle

lifestyle

Audioholic
Unless you plan to rattle the windows, that sonosub would probably be a worthwhile option to consider in that size room I think. As far as amp goes, will you be using a receiver with a subwoofer or LFE pre-out? If so, you could just stalk eBay for a good deal on just about any mono or bridgeable 2-channel amp that'll handle a single 4 ohm load -- the Marantz MA-500U, for example. If you'll be feeding full range signal to the sub amp, you'll need an amp with a low pass filter though. I guess that's why you're concentrating on plate amps, isn't it?

Regardless of what bargains you discover, I wouldn't spend more than $190. You can get a brand new Crown XLS-1000 on Amazon for that. As far as plate amps go, they're pretty much all made in China and rebranded for the reseller. I wouldn't really recommend any one over any other, save for one exception for a specific application. If you plan to build or buy a sealed sub, then the openly documented resistor values of the BASH amps sold by Parts Express may offer you the opportunity to modify the amp and add a tailored boost to flatten the response at the bottom end a bit. Creative Sound Solutions sells the same BASH plate amps, and can perform the modifications for you for $15 (last time I checked).

Here's an example potential bargain: if you could snipe this Niles SWA-500M for $75 + shipping, I'd consider that a great deal.
Thanks Rojo! :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis