800 Lines Resolution?

F

Fife

Junior Audioholic
I'm comparing a JVC 32" Standard Definition TV. It advertises 800 lines of horizontal resolution. Would this even be possible with standard def. TV. If so how would it use all 800 lines if it can't display HDTV? I'm wondering because there is also a Sharp model with 16:9 enhanced mode. I'm trying to decide between the two. The Sharp specs say that it's horizontal resolution is "not measured".
Thanks

M

Mr.T

Audioholic
It would have been more helpful to us if you would have given us the model numbers of both Tv sets mentioned. It's not unusual for a modern analog direct view flat screen Tv to produce 800 horizontals scanning lines for a better picture quality. If I had to choose between the JVC against the RCA, I would opt for the JVC.

Here is the JVC selection of 32"/36" Tvs, which model is the one that you have read about? Please let us know.
http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL027175&pathId=74

Attachments

Last edited:
F

Fife

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the info. The model number is JVC AV32WF35. I couldn't find the model number anywhere on the JVC site when I searched before my original post. This particular TV may be a "made for Bestbuy" model. Do you think this TV will have better DVD resolution than a Sharp 32F641 with 16:9 enhanced mode? I watch a lot of widescreen DVD's (as we all do).
Thanks

goodman

goodman

Full Audioholic
If these TVs you're looking at are anywhere near $500, don't buy either one. Put away a few bucks more and get an HDTV.

D

docferdie

Audioholic
From what I understand about your post, the JVC model does not have an enhanced 16x9 mode. That is a big plus for the sharp model. The JVC has a fixed 480 horizontal lines in a 4x3 aspect so when you watch widescreen DVDs you actually lose vertical resolution. Most modern analog sets have a horizontal resolution of 600-800 lines which is more than adequate to display DVD which is at most 720x480 picture elements. Remember having a set which has a higher maximum horizontal resolution than a DVD image does not improve the picture-i.e. you can't add detail that isn't in the DVD to begin with--but having one that has a lower vertical resolution will always degrade the image. And just to clarify things; 800 lines of resolution means the set can resolve 800 vertical lines in a circle with a diameter which is equal to the height of the screen. Sorry if my post was long winded--go with the Sharp.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis