70mm IMAX film projection booth preparation for screening process.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
looks like a Marantz Pre-Pro around the 6:15 mark. Didn't expect to see it there

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Wow...is that a lost art or what ??
About 30 IMAX 70mm screens worldwide (19 in the USA) showing this movie:
You can bet anything you like that 70mm projectionists are about the same group of 30 people worldwide and improbable ever to grow - so yes - very much so a nearly lost art.

I've heard that new digital formats like 9x7 may come close or even beat 70mm IMAX, but for now, it's very new and not mature enough to see A-Z movie capture and projection system ready.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Why bother with analog film first, then transfer to a digital master when you can just use 8K resolution IMAX digital cameras?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Why bother with analog film first, then transfer to a digital master when you can just use 8K resolution IMAX digital cameras?
I almost feel like adding a dumb to your post. Imax's Digital is using a pair 2k projectors. 15/70mm IMAX film is approximately rated at 18k.

From wiki:

In 2008, IMAX extended its brand into traditional theaters with the introduction of Digital IMAX, a lower-cost system that uses two 2K digital projectors to project on a 1.90:1 aspect ratio screen. This lower-cost option, which allowed for the conversion of existing multiplex theater auditoriums, helped IMAX to grow from 299 screens worldwide at the end of 2007 to over 1,000 screens by the end of 2015.[16][17] As of September 2017, there were 1,302 IMAX theatres located in 75 countries, of which 1,203 were in commercial multiplexes.[18]

The switch to digital projection came at a steep cost in image quality, with 2K projectors having roughly an order of magnitude less resolution than traditional IMAX film projectors.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
More like total waste of time and money. :D
Now you just trolling

I get that you and everyone else is interested in replacing this honestly antiquated system with newer and better digital one, but the simple answer is - it doesn't exist now. No professional ARRI, Sony, nor Red can come even remotely close to amount of details 15/70 has. Only possible option for now is above linked 9x7 camera which actually sound very interesting, but not without it's own challenges

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Watched Oppenheimer in 70mm locally. It looked great, but not so many scenes where I thought "this looks better". Dolby Cinema looks better to my eyes, with the ultra black screen and 8K projector, but of course Barbie was on that screen. Florence Pugh is nice to see on the big screen in great detail :cool:

We could not get it on the large format screens though, because there is only one showing it in Northern California (Metreon SF) and it is completely sold out and tickets are being sold for 5x face value lol. We sat pretty far up front but surprisingly, it wasn't bad.

It is a good film for sure. But, I'll spare a review since I felt it excessively focused on something that does not seem as important as the achievements of Oppenheimer, bomb aside.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Watched Oppenheimer in 70mm locally. It looked great, but not so many scenes where I thought "this looks better". Dolby Cinema looks better to my eyes..
Exactly my point. Digital 8K looks a lot better to my eyes than 70 mm analog IMAX. And also ATMOS sounds much better than Nolan’s DTS-HD MA.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I almost feel like adding a dumb to your post.
I was going to do the same to your post. I thought you were joking.

All the new digital 6-8K cameras like Sony, ARRI, PanaVision look MUCH better to my eyes than any of Nolan’s analog 70 mm IMAX.

If I thought analog 70 mm actually looked even as good as these digital cameras, I would be supporting 70 mm. But I think 70 mm analog look worse than any of these digital cameras.

But just like audio, I guess everyone feels differently. I guess some people think analog 70 mm looks better than digital 8K.

Bottom line, I just care about what looks and sounds best to me, which is Digital IMAX videos and Dolby ATMOS sound, not analog 70 mm films and DTS-HD MA.

It seems this offends you. So I will leave your thread. Agree to disagree.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I was going to do the same to your post. I thought you were joking.

All the new digital 6-8K cameras like Sony, ARRI, PanaVision look MUCH better to my eyes than any of Nolan’s analog 70 mm IMAX.

If I thought analog 70 mm actually looked even as good as these digital cameras, I would be supporting 70 mm. But I think 70 mm analog look worse than any of these digital cameras.

But just like audio, I guess everyone feels differently. I guess some people think analog 70 mm looks better than digital 8K.

Bottom line, I just care about what looks and sounds best to me, which is Digital IMAX videos and Dolby ATMOS sound, not analog 70 mm films and DTS-HD MA.

It seems this offends you. So I will leave your thread. Agree to disagree.
It's a democracy, so feel free to think that Imax Digital (as it is now) looks better to YOU, despite mountains of objective evidence saying otherwise. There are NO 8k movie theater projectors, even if the movie is shot in 8k digital resized and cropped down for projection. Dolby Digital uses a pair of 4k projectors. 4k is about 8mil pixels. 8k video has 33 million pixels.
Here's yet another video (which you probably won't watch )from Slate magazine explaining the difference in formats:

I don't claim that the old 15/70 IMAX film format is impossible to improve with digital, the above-mentioned.

This isn't about the soundtrack. It is still remixed as Atmos with a separate digital disk.

What you say doesn't offend me. It's how you say it does.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Watched Oppenheimer in 70mm locally. It looked great, but not so many scenes where I thought "this looks better". Dolby Cinema looks better to my eyes, with the ultra black screen and 8K projector, but of course Barbie was on that screen. Florence Pugh is nice to see on the big screen in great detail :cool:

We could not get it on the large format screens though, because there is only one showing it in Northern California (Metreon SF) and it is completely sold out and tickets are being sold for 5x face value lol. We sat pretty far up front but surprisingly, it wasn't bad.

It is a good film for sure. But, I'll spare a review since I felt it excessively focused on something that does not seem as important as the achievements of Oppenheimer, bomb aside.
See above my comments on Dolby Cinema using pair of 4k projectors - not the same as 8k. As you mentioned movie genres likely affected the style and colors of different movies differently.
Luckily for you Californias - you have 7-8 IMAX 70mm locations, there is only 1 in New York (state) and none in NJ. (Liberty Science Center only shows educational movies)
As for the movie Oppenheimer, I wasn't really discussing the movie. I still haven't seen it and Nolan disappointed me with Dunkirk which I thought as a movie whole (not just technicals) was boring. And certainly, it doesn't even remotely come close to the achievement of the development of an actual atomic bomb.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
See above my comments on Dolby Cinema using pair of 4k projectors - not the same as 8k. As you mentioned movie genres likely affected the style and colors of different movies differently.
Luckily for you Californias - you have 7-8 IMAX 70mm locations, there is only 1 in New York (state) and none in NJ. (Liberty Science Center only shows educational movies)
As for the movie Oppenheimer, I wasn't really discussing the movie. I still haven't seen it and Nolan disappointed me with Dunkirk which I thought as a movie whole (not just technicals) was boring. And certainly, it doesn't even remotely come close to the achievement of the development of an actual atomic bomb.
Oppenheimer will feel very similar to Dunkirk for you then I think. It is better than Dunkirk, but still pretty slow overall. I have no problem with Nolan shooting on film, all of his films look great.

I am not saying there is more resolution, but dual 4K projectors are able to create an 8K image.
  • 8K – 2D at 120fps, 60fps, 48fps and 30fps
  • 8K – 3D at 120fps, 60fps, 48fps and 30fps per eye / projector
Although the twin projectors are capable of displaying the 7,500:1 contrast ratio defined by the DCI fixed luminance gamma function, for movies not graded with Dolby Vision, the projectors are limited to 5,000:1 contrast ratio.[12] The Hollywood studios have graded over 100 films directly on Dolby Cinema projectors, the creative team can then create content with contrast ratios of 1,000,000:1.
It may ultimately only be the noticeably higher brightness that makes it look better, but the contrast ratio with darker blacks looks as good as I've seen anything in person. Presumably films that are created in Dolby Cinema format would be the best looking ones. I typically only go see films I think are going to look great in Dolby Cinema in that format; not every movie. The image itself might be smoother on 70mm, and while there may be a lot of 70mm capable theaters in Ca., there are very few large format ones. The one here in Santa Clara was torn down.

The audio for Oppenheimer was excellent.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis