70" Vizio E70 4K TV vs 65" SONY X810C 4K TV ?

Mike Ruby

Mike Ruby

Audioholic Intern
It may not be a factor in your system, but I recommend Sony's to most of my clients because the interface for streaming content works well. I think Sony's Play station experience helps them provide a better platform. I just installed a LG OLED 65" which did have killer black level performance, but it comes with a price. I think Sony will have OLED options in their next product run. Sony's XBR 850 series are my favorite, I think the 65" XBR 850 D is under $1500 now

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It may not be a factor in your system, but I recommend Sony's to most of my clients because the interface for streaming content works well. I think Sony's Play station experience helps them provide a better platform. I just installed a LG OLED 65" which did have killer black level performance, but it comes with a price. I think Sony will have OLED options in their next product run. Sony's XBR 850 series are my favorite, I think the 65" XBR 850 D is under $1500 now
Yes. I could get the XBR-850D for $1500 each.

You prefer the Sony Android streaming ?

B

Blues Doctor

Audioholic Intern
Congrats AcuDefTech. Seems like a well-informed buy. Thanks for sharing thought process and result. I think I would have done same. My next HT upgrade is a larger display flat panel. But that is a year away. Have a 50" Panasonic Plasma now. Great picture, but desiring larger display, 65-75". After reading this and other info, I might just make my first Sony purchase.​

B

Blues Doctor

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for sharing that Mike. That gives me more confidence in Sony's interface functionality. Appreciate your input.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would consider the M65 over the XBR810 for 64 zone local dimming and HDR if you stream 4k Content. It will up your price about 400 for 2, but HDR is worth it in my experience.
Actually, according to the Sony RTING TV review, the XBR65X810C does have HDR! :)

"Average HDR performance. Good picture quality but highlights cannot get bright to stand out. No wide color gamut."

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x810c

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Anecdotal evidence:
1) 1st LG plasma TV - Died after 5-6 years
2) 2nd Panasonic Plasma - 4 years - still working, but developed buzz and possible issues with images with lots of white (seen artifacts, but 100% sure source of issues)
3) Ancient 2005-6's - Sony 32" KDL-32XBR6 something FHD LCD TV - I took it as free give away. Besides minor issues with hdcp handshake (I imagine it includes an ancient hdmi version) - it's been absolutely rock solid and it's my oldest TV now - 10 year old.
It has great build-in speakers and image quality is excellent. Currently used with FireTV stick (gen1) since TV itself is not "smart".

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Actually, according to the Sony RTING TV review, the XBR65X810C does have HDR! :)

"Average HDR performance. Good picture quality but highlights cannot get bright to stand out. No wide color gamut."

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x810c
It must be an upgrade, the TV did not have HDR at first, neither did the 850C that I have, but they added it with a firmware update. The mail difference between sets is the wide color gamut. That website you used reviewed the 55" version of mine with the lesser edge lit LED and gave it decent reviews. The 65" is overall much better with a better pannel.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It must be an upgrade, the TV did not have HDR at first, neither did the 850C that I have, but they added it with a firmware update. The mail difference between sets is the wide color gamut. That website you used reviewed the 55" version of mine with the lesser edge lit LED and gave it decent reviews. The 65" is overall much better with a better pannel.
Yeah, even on the new Sony X700D models, it says that will get HDR with firmware.

Very cool. :cool:

Last edited:
K

Kyle0910

Audioholic Intern
I don't know of I'm in the minority here but in this day and age I would not even consider a 1080p TV. Especially not one of that size. If you want to buy TV and just replace it when 4k gests more support there's nothing wrong with that but you'd be better off getting a 4k TV to prepare for the quickly approaching future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don't know of I'm in the minority here but in this day and age I would not even consider a 1080p TV. Especially not one of that size. If you want to buy TV and just replace it when 4k gests more support there's nothing wrong with that but you'd be better off getting a 4k TV to prepare for the quickly approaching future.

Yes. I am going with all 4K Sony TV for my house.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
you'd be better off getting a 4k TV to prepare for the quickly approaching future.
What do you consider "quickly"?
When are Dish/Direct expected to go 4k?
When are Bluray discs expected to go 4k?
When is streaming expected to go 4k?

I've been seeing 4k TVs and articles for a while, but have yet to see mainstream 4k source material.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would also consider 4K video implementation to be very slow.

But I'm getting 4K TV anyway. :)

K

Kyle0910

Audioholic Intern
What do you consider "quickly"?
When are Dish/Direct expected to go 4k?
When are Bluray discs expected to go 4k?
When is streaming expected to go 4k?

I've been seeing 4k TVs and articles for a while, but have yet to see mainstream 4k source material.
Blu-ray? Every new big ticket movie coming will be in 4k. Already about 80 titles out.

Streaming has already started as well.

No idea about cable.

K

Kyle0910

Audioholic Intern
Yeah, even on the new Sony X700D models, it says that will get HDR with firmware.

Very cool. :cool:
So (it's unfortunate) you really have to look at the terms they use when talking about HDR. HDR really starts at the 850D. Those lower models aren't HDR 10 compliant. Not 'em ought brightness to hit requirements. HDR requires a 10 bit panel for the added color space in order to show real difference between SDR and HDR.

When companies use HDR in the title while not being HDR10 compliant all they are trying to say is that you can receive HDR through that input but you're not getting much of a benefit (if any).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So (it's unfortunate) you really have to look at the terms they use when talking about HDR. HDR really starts at the 850D. Those lower models aren't HDR 10 compliant. Not 'em ought brightness to hit requirements. HDR requires a 10 bit panel for the added color space in order to show real difference between SDR and HDR.

When companies use HDR in the title while not being HDR10 compliant all they are trying to say is that you can receive HDR through that input but you're not getting much of a benefit (if any).

That's what I figured about the HDR. I'm just not willing to pay more than $1K for TV. :D

K

Kyle0910

Audioholic Intern
That's what I figured about the HDR. I'm just not willing to pay more than $1K for TV. :D
Haha I can totally get that. I'm sure most of us on this forum would trade out TVs for our audio equipment anyways.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Haha I can totally get that. I'm sure most of us on this forum would trade out TVs for our audio equipment anyways.

Yup. Audio has always been salient for me. Video has always been 2nd. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis