70" Vizio E70 4K TV vs 65" SONY X810C 4K TV ?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That site is full of baloney.

For that budget, I'd go with the 1080p Vizio, because bigger is more important than some minor picture quality differences.
The 70-inch 1080p Vizio for $1088 is definitely the front runner and my initial choice. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I can only speak as a Sony owner. I buy my TV's from my audio dealer because he also sells Sony and handles my warranty issues if I have them.

I have owned 5 Sony LCD/LED TVs. My Xbr-4 will not die and still looks great for an LCD TV. I have a 55 Inch Sony in the bedroom a 4k 65IN my living room, had multiple Sony TVs in my past. In all that time, I only had an issue with one (dead pixel) and my delaer promptly replaced it with a newer model.

Bottom line I can speak from experience Sony is reliable. If you want to save a few dollars, do what I did with my 4k 65" XBR850C and ask you dealer if he can get the distressed box deals from their distributer (i.e. tech data) I saved over 500 dollars off new with the same warranty and couldn't be happier.

I don't know Vizio, haven't owned one, but I do know Sony better than most, and their X1 processor on their 4k line works very well. Their android based Smart TV takes some getting used to, but is very customizable.

The reason why I haven't tired Vizio is that I haven't had a reason to switch.
Oh, man, you are making my decision tougher! :D

I was kind of set on the $1088 70" 1080p Vizio, but then I saw the brand new 65" 4K Sony XBR65X810C for $1000 (MSRP $1500).

You brought up an important point - replacement warranty. If I buy the SONY, it would cost me $350 for a 5YR replacement warranty. If I buy the Vizio, it would cost me $99 for a 5YR replacement warranty.

65" SONY = $1000 + $350 = $1350 w/ 5YR Replacement Warranty x 2 TV = $2700 total
70" VIZIO = $1088 + 99 = $1187 w/ 5YR Replacement Warranty x 2 TV = $2374 total

Total difference is $326.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Paralysis by analysis.... I love it.. :p
A lot of factors involved, man. But probably leaning towards the $1088 70-inch 1080p VIZIO. :D

Last edited:
Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
That's the value of having a good dealer. The suggestion of using your Amex or CC that has an extra year of warranty with purchase makes a lot of sense.

I am not sure the exact stats, but I would wager that if a TV makes it past 2 years, the likelyhood of it going bad are slim. I have not purchased an extended warranty on any of my TVs and have yet to have an issue that has happened after the 1st year.

XBR 4 2008/2009 -- Still going strong Dang 7+ years
55H810 -- 2010 No Issues 6 years
XBR850C going on 1st year.
My buddy has my XBR 929 going and that is 4+ years old

I really like this site for TV reviews as its fairly extensive:

https://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/vizio-lcd-tv/vizio-e70-c3.html

If screen size is an issue, I would go with Vizo, but no way would I take it over the 810 for picture quality.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That's the value of having a good dealer. The suggestion of using your Amex or CC that has an extra year of warranty with purchase makes a lot of sense.

I am not sure the exact stats, but I would wager that if a TV makes it past 2 years, the likelyhood of it going bad are slim. I have not purchased an extended warranty on any of my TVs and have yet to have an issue that has happened after the 1st year.

XBR 4 2008/2009 -- Still going strong Dang 7+ years
55H810 -- 2010 No Issues 6 years
XBR850C going on 1st year.
My buddy has my XBR 929 going and that is 4+ years old

I really like this site for TV reviews as its fairly extensive:

https://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/vizio-lcd-tv/vizio-e70-c3.html

If screen size is an issue, I would go with Vizo, but no way would I take it over the 810 for picture quality.
I don't think 65" vs 70" is an issue. It's just tempting.

But maybe it is a case of quality vs quantity. :)

The 65" SONY Bravia XBR-810's regular price was $1500. If I were looking at $1K on the Vizio vs $1.5K on the Sony, I think the decision would be a lot easier to go with the Vizio.

But it's a $999 4K Sony vs a $1088 1080p Vizio. A 4K 65" Vizio would also be about $1K.

Another "factor" is that it seems a lot of people, especially my relatives and friends, own mostly Vizio TV's. I want something "different". :)

I may be now gravitating towards the Sony Bravia. :)

Two 65" 4K Ultra Sony Bravia XBR-810 for $2K total. ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Best Buy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-65-class-64-5-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-black/4379100.p?skuId=4379100

Have them price match and get best buy points.

If you don't mind having it shipped, I can have you talk to my Authorized Sony Dealer. I like him because he will take care of you if there are any issues.

I will say Vizio is not a bad TV, I seriously looked at their P series when I was looking at 4k TVs
For big items, I definitely want to buy locally.

For me, the Vizio P 65" 4K is $1900, the Vizio M 65" 4K is $1200, the Sony XBR810 65" 4K is $1000.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I would consider the M65 over the XBR810 for 64 zone local dimming and HDR if you stream 4k Content. It will up your price about 400 for 2, but HDR is worth it in my experience.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would consider the M65 over the XBR810 for 64 zone local dimming and HDR if you stream 4k Content. It will up your price about 400 for 2, but HDR is worth it in my experience.
Many HDR contents out there?

Most of my viewing is on Kodi. :)

Last edited:
Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Not a ton yet, but if you are planning to buy 5 year warranties for your TVs, I would get them a future proof as possible.

Amazon has quite a bit, so does Netflix. Kodi, not so much ;).
- HDR is much greater a game changer than 4k IMO, the difference is noticeable even at distance
- HDR needs local dimming to really shine, my Sony Doesn't have it, and it still looks great, the Vizio does.

I think Vizio only supports Dolby Vision and not HDR-10, but I hear that they it's just software patch.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Not a ton yet, but if you are planning to buy 5 year warranties for your TVs, I would get them a future proof as possible.

Amazon has quite a bit, so does Netflix. Kodi, not so much ;).
- HDR is much greater a game changer than 4k IMO, the difference is noticeable even at distance
- HDR needs local dimming to really shine, my Sony Doesn't have it, and it still looks great, the Vizio does.

I think Vizio only supports Dolby Vision and not HDR-10, but I hear that they it's just software patch.
This is what the review said about the Vizio M:

"Average for HDR. Supports Dolby Vision and HDR10 but average peak brightness. Slightly above average colors but not enough to take full advantage of HDR."

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/m-series-2016

Also, that $400 could buy a 48" Sony LED for the breakfast room. :D

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Have you been to the stores in person to check any of them out?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Have you been to the stores in person to check any of them out?
Yup. Went to Best Buy and compared them in person. They (all the 4K brands) looked great with 4K contents. The sales guy was trying to convince me that HDR looked better (Sony w/ HDR vs Sony w/o HDR). I couldn't tell any difference between them.

After 30 minutes, when the sales guy finally realized he and I both worked at the same hospital, he changed his tune and said they all looked great. :)

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Store displays are probably the worst example to to a screen comparison. Most models have a "Display Mode" where colors are overdone for store displays. But if you can't tell a difference between TVs then I would get the least expensive, most reliable you can. I can say with out any subjective analysis, that my 850C with HDR on is noticeably better than when turned off for HDR content. I am sure it could be measured.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Store displays are probably the worst example to to a screen comparison. Most models have a "Display Mode" where colors are overdone for store displays. But if you can't tell a difference between TVs then I would get the least expensive, most reliable you can. I can say with out any subjective analysis, that my 850C with HDR on is noticeably better than when turned off for HDR content. I am sure it could be measured.
In this hobby, it's all about what you can actually hear (audio) and see (video).

If you cannot hear or see the improvement, then don't spend the extra money.

That's why I am mostly concerned with reliability, which may just be a toss up like for AVR.

B

Blues Doctor

Audioholic Intern
In this hobby, it's all about what you can actually hear (audio) and see (video).

If you cannot hear or see the improvement, then don't spend the extra money.

That's why I am mostly concerned with reliability, which may just be a toss up like for AVR.

I feel your pain. Lol. I started leaning toward the Sony too, after doing more research. I've never owned a Sony b/c I always felt they were overpriced, even though the were top quality. They seem more competitive now price-wise. That model is getting rave reviews. I think I'd go that route over the Vizio at current "Sale" prices. True TV w/tuner. Five inches less than Viz, but I too would feel more confidence in quality and reliability. Plus, if streaming source (Roku, Googlecast, Slingbox, etc.) fails, you could still watch something broadcast in the interim. Just my $ .02 worth. Again, good luck! Let us know of your final decision. Thanks.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Alright. I went with the SONY. This is what happened. :)

I went to Best Buy and talked to the same manager again.

As agreed, if I would buy 2 TV, he would take $100 off each.

The SONY XBR65X810C is on sale for $1,100 each brand new. This means my price would be $1,000 each X 2 = $2,000 total.

These are the factors to my decision.

1. The manager said the original MSRP of the XBR65X810C was actually $2000 each, so I am actually "saving" ;) $2000. :D

2. The good reviews.

3. The SONY brand name (pride of ownership). :D

4. My impression of better reliability - I've owned 2 SONY TV in the past and they still work. :)

5. HDR isn't salient to me. 4K isn't either, but I'll take it. :)

6. Comparing 65" to 65", the 4K E-series Vizio 65" TV is also about $1,000, and the review for the Vizio E pales in comparison to the SONY 810. The 65" Vizio M-series would cost me $200 more than the SONY.

The next thing for me is to wait and hope for the 55" SONY XBR 4K TV to be heavily discounted like the X810C. I want 5 of them. :eek:

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Alright. I went with the SONY. This is what happened. :)

I went to Best Buy and talked to the same manager again.

As agreed, if I would buy 2 TV, he would take $100 off each.

The SONY XBR65X810C is on sale for $1,100 each brand new. This means my price would be $1,000 each X 2 = $2,000 total.

These are the factors to my decision.

1. The manager said the original MSRP of the XBR65X810C was actually $2000 each, so I am actually "saving" ;) $2000. :D

2. The good reviews.

3. The SONY brand name (pride of ownership). :D

4. My impression of better reliability - I've owned 2 SONY TV in the past and they still work. :)

5. HDR isn't salient to me. 4K isn't either, but I'll take it. :)

6. Comparing 65" to 65", the 4K E-series Vizio 65" TV is also about $1,000, and the review for the Vizio E pales in comparison to the SONY 810. The 65" Vizio M-series would cost me $200 more than the SONY.

The next thing for me is to wait and hope for the 55" SONY XBR 4K TV to be heavily discounted like the X810C. I want 5 of them. :eek:
Congrats on your purchase. On a side note be wary of the 55" Sony vs the 65" Sony. The 65" model uses an IPS screen, which tends to have better off angle viewing. I don't believe that the 55 has the same screen type, it may be a VA Pannel

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis