7.2 Home Theater Subwoofer Recs/Help

T

THXMovieMaster4

Audiophyte
I am upgrading my Home Theater to THX 9.2 w/Klipsch KL-7800's (main), KS-7800's (Sur. L/R), KS-525's (Sur. Back L/R), KL-6502 (Center), KL-6502's (presence) powered by Denon AVR-4520CI. My biggest dilemma is figuring out the best subwoofers to complete my theater. I like big, bold, house-shaking bass that is clean and not boomy. I've been rocking a Velodyne subwoofer for years which I think has been great and Velodyne does make great subwoofers but their new line is quite expensive and I heard other brand are better. In my research I've found Definitive Supercube 6000, Klipsch SW-115/SW-308/SW-310, and SVS PB12-NSD to be the best subwoofers at around $700-$900 to double up on. However, I don't have anywhere by where I live to check these out in person and all the reviews I have read online and all the audio companies I have talked to keep giving me contradicting reviews. Klipsch obviously has been an audio master for years and I really haven't heard anything bad about their subs but their wattage is low for the price. Definitive Tech's SuperCube is compact and the power output is huge but I'm very skeptic on its ability to handle the lows hard w/out distorting and still be able to really shake thinks up. Then there's SVS subwoofers which have rave reviews and even a bunch of rewards. With SVS I guess the motto is: bigger is better especially when it comes to subwoofers. Space availability is no issue for me so I don't mind. Their subs are said to be earth shakers where you feel the bass vs hearing it and that their subs can be maxed out hitting lows flawlessly w/out any distortion. So, I figured I'd hit the A/V forums myself and see if there are any people who own any of these or have any experience w/them that could help point me in the direction of which subwoofer would be best for me. My theater room dimensions are 15 x 15 with 8ft ceilings. Not sure if this matters or not but both the ceiling/walls are 3/4inch pine (not veneer or paneling) and floors are wood as well. Thanks

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would be going with Hsu, Rythmik, Power Sound Audio, or Outlaw long before I went with Klipsch, SVS, or Deftech especially. The only exception might be the Klipsch SW-115 and I would need to see some actual measurements before I went with those. The SW-115, at its street price, might actually be competitive with the heavy duty ID subs for bang for the buck.

T

THXMovieMaster4

Audiophyte
Thanks man. Yeah, it seemed as though the Klipsch SW-115 was the only sub that would match up w/ID suggestions you made which I can get at $650 scratch n' dent right now.

T

THXMovieMaster4

Audiophyte
What are you thoughts on Power Sound XV30? Audioholics rate SVS PB13 Ultra as one of the best subs but you recommended the other subs over it or SVS in general?

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
My theater room dimensions are 15 x 15 with 8ft ceilings.
That's a relatively small room; is that room sealed off from the rest of your home or open ala a great room? If the former, I'd probably look at a few sealed options, particularly the PSA XS15 (or the XS30 if you wanted to go nuts).

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
What are you thoughts on Power Sound XV30? Audioholics rate SVS PB13 Ultra as one of the best subs but you recommended the other subs over it or SVS in general?
I think that the XV30 could probably outperform a PB13 Ultra. The XV30 is mostly just two XV15s in one cabinet. If you compare the XV15 to the PB13 here, you'll see that the PB13 isn't really two times as powerful as the XV15 in any of its operating modes- except around its tuning points. I would guess the XV30 could match the PB13 in deep frequencies and outperform it in mid and upper bass frequencies. Problem is, the XV30 isn't in stock right now. SVS makes good subs but they aren't competitive in output with some of the other internet direct sub makers, and you can see that from comparing measurements in the above link. The Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX and Power Sound Audio XV15 are roughly the same price as the PB12 NSD, but both are shown to be quite a bit more powerful in testing. The PB12-Plus costs roughly as much as the Rythmik FV15HP, but the Rythmik manages to outperform the PB13 Ultra. The Hsu VTF15h is over $350 less than a PB12 Plus but nearly matches its output as well. I think Rythmik, Hsu, PSA, and Outlaw hold the most bang for the buck under $2k. Above $2k I would be looking at Seaton, Funk, and JTR.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I think that the XV30 could probably outperform a PB13 Ultra. The XV30 is mostly just two XV15s in one cabinet.
It's worth nothing that PSA only rates the XV30 to deliver 3dB more output in the 40Hz-63Hz band and 4dB from 20Hz-63Hz. Comparing the PB13U's measured output to the XV30's output as reckoned by PSA, the XV30 has a 1.8dB advantage from 40Hz-63Hz, but a 1.3dB deficit from 20Hz-32Hz. Of course ten seconds comparing pictures of the two products will reveal they aren't exactly chasing the same customer base.

T

THXMovieMaster4

Audiophyte
Lotta good sub recs. now figuring out which one will be best should be fun. I'm an audio junkie but when it comes down to tech specs on subs I tend to get lost a lil' and it seems the more I research these subs the more contradicting the reviews get. one place hsu is praised and rythmik shunned then another place vice versa. Or SVS and PowerSound raved about and nothing else. It would be amazing if there were audio stores that carried any of these brands to check out in person. The last ting I wanna do is order a 100+lb sub, hate it and then pay $200 to return. But, I appreciate all the help. I've checked out all the subs you guys have recommended and have a lot of thinking to do but before I make a choice I think I'll just give my theater specs and desires and have everyone recommend what they think would be the best (1 option) subwoofer for my setup if I wanted to do 2 subs (between $700-1,000) or 1 monster sub @$1,600-2,000. Also, let me know what you guys are rockin in your setup. thanks

Sealed room, 3/4inch wood ceiling/walls and hardwood floor
15 x 15 x 8
I'm a bass junkie and love clean hard-hitting bass that will shake the couch/house
My theater is used mainly 90% for action movies and occasionally music
I was told and read that ported subs are best if the sub will mainly be used for movies

Last edited:
Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
The VTF-15H is a solid sub for the money, but as mentioned, I'd expect a sealed sub should be better fit for your space. With a ported sub, output declines precipitously beyond the system tuning frequency, though at the tuning point you get a big advantage versus a comparable sealed sub; conversely a sealed sub will start to roll off earlier, but at a much gentler rate. Combined with a boost you'd expect from room gain in a space as small as yours, it wouldn't be utterly unreasonable to expect flat response down to 10Hz from a pair of XS15s. Heck, I'd expect a pair of XS30s could probably manage that feat with authority in your room.

T

THXMovieMaster4

Audiophyte
The VTF-15H is a solid sub for the money, but as mentioned, I'd expect a sealed sub should be better fit for your space. With a ported sub, output declines precipitously beyond the system tuning frequency, though at the tuning point you get a big advantage versus a comparable sealed sub; conversely a sealed sub will start to roll off earlier, but at a much gentler rate. Combined with a boost you'd expect from room gain in a space as small as yours, it wouldn't be utterly unreasonable to expect flat response down to 10Hz from a pair of XS15s. Heck, I'd expect a pair of XS30s could probably manage that feat with authority in your room.
Sounds good Steve

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis