kirk44

kirk44

Audiophyte
Hi have a Yamaha 2020 reciever. I can't seem to find any blu ray players in my price range that will send a 7.1 signal via HDMI cable. My question is can my reciever paly a 7.1 signal from a blu ray player that is only a 5.1 player. I wouold like to get a blu ray player under $500. Thanks for your help.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum!

I'd be surprised if a blu-ray player wouldn't send a 7.1 audio stream over HDMI. My ~$200 (at the time) Panasonic from mid-2009 does it, as will any number of sub-$100 players that are out now. As long as your receiver can decode the audio (and yours can), you'll be fine.

Feel free to post ones that you are looking at, and we can double check and make sure for you.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Hi have a Yamaha 2020 reciever. I can't seem to find any blu ray players in my price range that will send a 7.1 signal via HDMI cable. My question is can my reciever paly a 7.1 signal from a blu ray player that is only a 5.1 player. I wouold like to get a blu ray player under $500. Thanks for your help.
Yeah, post what you are looking at to be sure.

Finding a true 7.1 mix on a blu ray worth watching will be the real challenge.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, I don't ever remember seeing a BDP that could NOT send 7.1.

In contrast to the last post, I am finding that 7.1 is possibly becoming more prevalent. A few of my most recent viewings have been 7.1, my last Netflix rental Snow White & The Huntsman, my blind buy on Bourne Legacy, and my recent reviewing of Toy Story 3 after some Pixar discussion here. The opening ad for Snow White I think was E.T. and I'm pretty sure it said it will be 7.1.

Ok, it appears there are currently 347 bluray titles with 7.1. Personally, the biggest factor is if you have the rear space to make it worth it, but if you do, it is IMO that it's worth it. As long as you're not sacrificing choice of front three speakers and/or sub to make them happen.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, I don't ever remember seeing a BDP that could NOT send 7.1.

In contrast to the last post, I am finding that 7.1 is possibly becoming more prevalent. A few of my most recent viewings have been 7.1, my last Netflix rental Snow White & The Huntsman, my blind buy on Bourne Legacy, and my recent reviewing of Toy Story 3 after some Pixar discussion here. The opening ad for Snow White I think was E.T. and I'm pretty sure it said it will be 7.1.

Ok, it appears there are currently 347 bluray titles with 7.1. Personally, the biggest factor is if you have the rear space to make it worth it, but if you do, it is IMO that it's worth it. As long as you're not sacrificing choice of front three speakers and/or sub to make them happen.
Where did you find that list for the 7.1 titles? It's getting better, for sure. When I bought a 7.1 receiver about 5 years ago, I wasn't as "into HT" as I am now, so I was surprised by the lack of true 7.1 content.

Now, like I said, finding a true 7.1 that is WORTH WATCHING is the hard part :D

But you did list a few good examples and I know of a few more out there.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, post what you are looking at to be sure.
I don't think it matters which one he is looking at, ALL of them on the market today should do it, PERIOD; as long as they correctly pass the current codecs for DTS-HD a Dolby TrueHD.

Finding a true 7.1 mix on a blu ray worth watching will be the real challenge.
Not true.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I don't think it matters which one he is looking at, ALL of them on the market today should do it, PERIOD; as long as they correctly pass the current codecs for DTS-HD a Dolby TrueHD.

Not true.
Yeah, that is a good movie. One of my favorites, everything about it. It's also so sad :(

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Agreed. I just wanted to offer up some peace of mind. :)

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Where did you find that list for the 7.1 titles? It's getting better, for sure. When I bought a 7.1 receiver about 5 years ago, I wasn't as "into HT" as I am now, so I was surprised by the lack of true 7.1 content.

Now, like I said, finding a true 7.1 that is WORTH WATCHING is the hard part :D

But you did list a few good examples and I know of a few more out there.
Statistics Page - Blu-rayStats.com

I liked Pan's, and enjoy some other del Toro works, but it's the video that is a travesty, it probably has the worst DNR of my entire collection. It was one of my first BD purchases, and I thought I had a PJ issue with white crush or something (this stuff was all new to me 5 years ago or whenever it was). Other titles that may be even worse, which I've never watched on BD, are Patton and the first release of Gangs of New York (yes, it took little time for the 2nd release; that's how bad the 1st one was). I avoided Gladiator, Silence of the Lambs, and Shawshank Redemption for similar reasons, and a couple of those are all time favs. But enough of the video side of things, when Pan's is mentioned I can't help it. (Cronos is somewhere down my Netflix queue, it's something that's been in the back of my mind to watch, even though it probably suffers pretty badly too.)

Sometimes there is a 7.1 track for no apparent reason whatsoever, I think it was the first season of Weeds that had that, but what for, I have no idea.

So now I realize Tintin, Finding Nemo, Kung Fu Panda 2, and Cars 2 all had 7.1. Good ol' cartoons.

Looks like there is at least some classical music in 7.1. I don't think any of mine are however, almost always 5.1 PCM, though my Beethoven Piano Concertos are DTS-MA instead.

Hm I looked up the Bach Orchestral Suites recorded in 7.1, and red alarms are going off, I'm pretty sure there is some important reason to avoid the "Acoustic Reality Experience" stuff. Can't remember why though.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Among others, I enjoyed the 7.1 on Thor and The Avengers, which I thought were great movies. Surprising to me, the original series of Star Trek (at least season 2 that I own) has 7.1, as does Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. :eek: They do sound good, though...

kirk44

kirk44

Audiophyte
Thanks

Thanks for the responses guys. Good to know I can get a reasonably priced player to do the job. The Avengers and Thor are two of the movies Id like to watch in 7.1. I'm very curious to see the differance is sound from 5.1 I run all NHT speakers and have a pair of super zero's that I want to set up as the surround sides to try it out. I plan on upgrading my front SB 3's and moving them to the side eventually.
Thanks again

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the responses guys. Good to know I can get a reasonably priced player to do the job. The Avengers and Thor are two of the movies Id like to watch in 7.1. I'm very curious to see the differance is sound from 5.1 I run all NHT speakers and have a pair of super zero's that I want to set up as the surround sides to try it out. I plan on upgrading my front SB 3's and moving them to the side eventually.
Thanks again
Another NHT fan, cool! I run all NHT myself, and I upgraded to 7.1 this fall after grabbing another pair of 1.5s off of eBay. I do think that it makes a difference, and I enjoy it.

kirk44

kirk44

Audiophyte
Shepherd

Hi Adam is your avatar a White Shepherd? I have a black and tan shepherd.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Niki is a mix of some kind, but I don't know exactly what. I'm not sure if she has any white shepherd, but she does look like one.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis