7.1 rear speaker height

R

READER

Enthusiast
I am sure it has been asked a million times before, but I can't find good info on how HIGH on the rear wall to mount my ancient Polk M3's. I have 8 ft. ceiling and would prefer to mount as HIGH as possible. Also, I am open to how far apart they should be separated. Room is 20 ft X 12 ft. One of the rear speakers will have to be mounted at least 4 feet from one side wall due to door opening. That leaves 8 ft. to other side wall. Perfect symmetry would be 4 ft. apart. It would look great and be perfectly centered, but is that too close to each other?
My surrounds (also M3's) are 4-5 ft. from back wall with seating just in front of them. My front speakers are centered on front wall 5-6 ft. apart. I am blown away by how good this 20 year old Polk RM7000 satellite system sounds in 5.1 and i just want to make sure I nail the rear wall sound in 7.1 also.
Receiver = Yamaha RX-V777BT.
Mostly movies.
I really do appreciate all the folks that have helped me on this site the last few weeks. Thanks again!

BlwnAway

BlwnAway

Audioholic
4ft apart would be fine, as far as height, try and match the height of your surrounds best you can, it will give you a more natural sounding progression as the sound moves around you.

DD66000

DD66000

Senior Audioholic
Surround speaker elevations should be dependent on the distance from the main seat to their location, on a 15º angle above your ear level when seated.
So for the sides they should be 19" + 36"(ear level?)= 55" above the floor.
And I would think the rears about the same, assuming the distance from seat to rear wall is around 5.5~6 ft.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis