6Channel Set-up; bass management, speaker delay

P

paulsen

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Hello!

I have two questions about my Yamaha C920 DVD player and Yamaha RX-V530 receiver. They are connected via 6-channel analog for DVD-A. They are also connected via digital optical fiber. I just added the C920, a DVD-A capable player. Previously I had a DVD player not capable of DVD-A.

Here are the two questions:

1. Bass management: should I use the DVD player's or the receiver's controls to choose large/small/LFE output, etc.?

2. Speaker delay: same question as above -- use the DVD player's or the receiver's controls?

I can see that the receiver's relative speaker level controls are effective when the input is 6-channel analog but I suspect that sepaker delay must be done in the digital domain (i.e. the DVD player when playing DVD-A). I am not sure where LFE bass management and large/small speaker choices take effect. (Are these strictly analog?)

I want to avoid &quot;doubling up&quot; on these. E.g. I don't want to add speaker delays twice nor add an extra cross-over or low-pass filter.

I am surprised that Yamaha gives no specific advice on how to interconnect two of its own components. Perhaps If I bought them together as a &quot;Theater in a box&quot; there would be better instructions.

Thanks!</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis