6 ohm speakers into 8ohm amp

P

pondej

Audiophyte
i have just bought these nice big powerful speakers from wharfedale xarus 5000 whivch have 6 ohm will they run off this marantz amp which runs at 8ohm that i am about to buy?

G

guitarplyrstevo

Audioholic
i have just bought these nice big powerful speakers from wharfedale xarus 5000 whivch have 6 ohm will they run off this marantz amp which runs at 8ohm that i am about to buy?
I've heard that you shouldn't mismatch ohms because it would put a lot of stress on the amp but generally it is OK if you have the cab ohm on step higher than the amp.

ex: 8ohm amp -> 16 ohm cab OK
16ohm amp -> 8ohm cab NOT OK

By the way, I leaned all that for my guitar amp and cab so I'm not 100% sure if its the same for home audio.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Most receivers can handle 6 ohm speakers without a problem, 4 ohms is more of an issue. Which specific receiver do you have?

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Rat, its not just a receiver its an amp, Id hope the amp could push atleast 6 ohm speakers if not 4.

Pondej, check the instruction manual for the amp you are looking at normally a range of supported resistance is given so it wont just be 8 ohms it will probably be something like x-xx.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis