$500 Main Speakers ?

C

cjem

Audioholic Intern
I would like to update my Main Speakers in my system, I have been out of the loop for some time about audio speakers and would like to have some good quality speakers in the $500 (pair) range.

any recommendations.

John

The13thGryphon

The13thGryphon

Audioholic
Not as easy as you might think!

Five hundred clams doesn't go very far in terms of real quality speakers. Sure, you can run down to Circuit City or Best Buy and get any number of speakers for that money... but would you really want any of them in your home for any length of time? I think not. :eek:

Okay, maybe I shouldn't be so harsh. I know some people who have Polk speakers in that price range and they're happy with them. I think you can do better, but they're not bad.

To really give you a solid recommendation I'd need to know more about your situation: what kind of music you listen to? how loud? how big is your room? what type of amp/receiver do you have? But I'll throw out a couple of suggestions anyway just for fun.

You might think about a pair of Axiom m22ti speakers (www.axiomaudio.com), especially if you like more boisterous music like rock and pop. If you're really into acoustic instruments, vocals, small bands/quartets, folk, etc., and can work with the speakers for best placement then you should check out the Magnepan MMG (www.magnepan.com).

In either case don't sweat the fact that you have to order them on-line. Both companies offer a money back guarantee.

Speakers you can find at your local dealer might include Warfdale's Diamond series, and Epos. Both brands are receiving rave reviews of late.

Happy hunting, and enjoy the music. ;)

K

kcd911

Audiophyte
Cheap fronts!!!

I just did some listening with a friend that was starting his system on a very modest budget. We were able to listen to the Polks, and I must say they do not seem to be the same company I remember from several years ago. I was not impressed at all.

He decided on the Paradigm speakers, which sound a lot better that I expected for the money he paid. I would give them a try.

As I explained to my friend, if you have any extra money at all to spend, spend it on the speakers - you will see the most bang for you buck as compared to a higher line reciever or wires or what ever!

Good luck, and remember to enjoy the process of buying, it should be fun.

KCD911

C

cjem

Audioholic Intern
The13thGryphon said:
Five hundred clams doesn't go very far in terms of real quality speakers. Sure, you can run down to Circuit City or Best Buy and get any number of speakers for that money... but would you really want any of them in your home for any length of time? I think not. :eek:

Okay, maybe I shouldn't be so harsh. I know some people who have Polk speakers in that price range and they're happy with them. I think you can do better, but they're not bad.

To really give you a solid recommendation I'd need to know more about your situation: what kind of music you listen to? how loud? how big is your room? what type of amp/receiver do you have? But I'll throw out a couple of suggestions anyway just for fun.

You might think about a pair of Axiom m22ti speakers (www.axiomaudio.com), especially if you like more boisterous music like rock and pop. If you're really into acoustic instruments, vocals, small bands/quartets, folk, etc., and can work with the speakers for best placement then you should check out the Magnepan MMG (www.magnepan.com).

In either case don't sweat the fact that you have to order them on-line. Both companies offer a money back guarantee.

Speakers you can find at your local dealer might include Warfdale's Diamond series, and Epos. Both brands are receiving rave reviews of late.

Happy hunting, and enjoy the music. ;)

Hi,

I have the Yamaha RX - V2600 Receiver connected to an older Polk RM 7300 5.1 speaker system, 350 watt sub. I want to purchase a pair of main speakers to match the polk to take advantage of the Cinema DSP processing from 7 channels (front presence channel) from the Yamaha. I like all types of music, my LR is about 20x14 and yes at times I have the vol. up.

What pair of main speakers would mach the RM 7300 5.1.system ?

Thanks,

John

E

einsteinjb

Audioholic
Whoa, hang on a sec fellas. I've just seen everything from "can't get much for $500" to "anything will match"!!

There's a very simple way for you to get all the info you need. Every single day on this forum and others, someone asks "What's the best speakers for $xx?" It's by far the most commonly asked question day after day. Use the advanced search function and search for $500 in the speakers forum. You'll find TONS of threads filled with TONS of great recommendations. You can certainly find speakers for under $500 a pair that should blow away those Polks, if they're the wall-mounted ones shown in the link MacMan posted. (Hint: NONE of them can be purchased at BB or CC!)

Just to get you started, research Ascend Acoustics, Axiom, NHT, Paradigm, Onix (av123.com). You won't have any trouble finding tons of info about all these companies here if you look.

Have fun!

farscaper

farscaper

Audioholic
I would also add PSB, Boston Acoustics, Monitor Audio to that list. Even their low end is pretty dam good.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
And Energy. Big sales on the Conussieur line

SheepStar

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
cjem said:
Hi,

I have the Yamaha RX - V2600 Receiver connected to an older Polk RM 7300 5.1 speaker system, 350 watt sub. I want to purchase a pair of main speakers to match the polk to take advantage of the Cinema DSP processing from 7 channels (front presence channel) from the Yamaha. I like all types of music, my LR is about 20x14 and yes at times I have the vol. up.

What pair of main speakers would mach the RM 7300 5.1.system ?

Thanks,

John
I happen to think Polk does a great job for their price. So, I would follow the advice from MacManNM.

C

cjem

Audioholic Intern
Sheep said:
And Energy. Big sales on the Conussieur line

SheepStar
Thank you all for all your help. I have to research the specs, then try to find the speakers to hear them.

Thanks.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis