500$ Bookshelves suggestions

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
I am looking for a pair of bookshelves for a friend of mine. Budget is 500$.
These are some of the bookshelves that are available back here.

Which among these would you guys recommend?

Polk, Kef, Wharfedale Diamond, Dali, Q Acoustics, Monitor Audio, Tannoy, B&W, Mordaunt Short, Focal, Dynaudio, Quad, PSB, Klipsh, Infinity Primus, SVS

Edit:
Its highly unlikely that my friend would get a sub. So its just the speakers. Maybe a tower would be better? As of now its just music he is after.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Sylar - you need to do a bit more homework.
One example:
KEF Q500 are not bookshelves and priced as $550 each, not a pair

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
Will check out if ELAC B6 are available back here. B5 is available from what i am aware.

Sylar - you need to do a bit more homework.
One example:
KEF Q500 are not bookshelves and priced as $550 each, not a pair
My Bad. I was still editing my thread. :) I removed all the models. Speakers from those manufacturers are available.

Last edited:
S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
Are you in the US?
India...we do not get everything back here. So I posted a few of the manufacturers that are available.
Plus its highly unlikely that my friend would get a sub. So its just the speakers. Maybe a tower would be better? As of now its just music he is after.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Ok then Syler. Elac E5 would be a fine choice. It's what I would get.

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
Thanks. Will check out the B5.

What other BS are worth exploring?

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
If they are not rushing to get a sub then these will fill in a bit till they get one(Sold as each not pair): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014GSEPY8/ref=s9_hps_bw_g23_i1
Or if you can get a Dayton 1200 sub in India? in the budget to go with the B5's
Are the ELAC's hands down choice at this budget? I notice most of the suggestions have been ELAC's. I usually hear at least PSB as an alternative here :).

I checked with the India distributor. They will be getting B5, B6 & F5 in the coming weeks.

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Are the ELAC's hands down choice at this budget? I notice most of the suggestions have been ELAC's. I usually hear at least PSB as an alternative here :).

I checked with the India distributor. They will be getting B5, B6 & F5 in the coming weeks.
I heard the tower Elacs at RMAF and I was impressed! I would have no problem recommending those for an excellent budget speaker, better than some speakers costing 10X as much, seriously.

I also really liked the Vonatoo! But, these are a different animal, powered speakers.
http://www.vanatoo.com/store/speakers/transparent-one-black

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The ELACs are speculative at this point. They are not yet released.
Being designed by the well respected Andrew Jones, we have high expectations that they will redefine what is available at their price point. As much enthusiasm as has been built up for these, their introduction will make a big splash! ELAC will likely put them in reviewers hands soon and there should be a couple of reviews on the forums quickly after release.
They are a very good bet, but I would certainly listen to them and confirm that they meet your expectations before buying (or wait for the first reviews if you cannot audition).

Edit: Typing while Slippery posted!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
The ELACs are speculative at this point. They are not yet released.
Being designed by the well respected Andrew Jones, we have high expectations that they will redefine what is available at their price point. As much enthusiasm as has been built up for these, their introduction will make a big splash! ELAC will likely put them in reviewers hands soon and there should be a couple of reviews on the forums quickly after release.
They are a very good bet, but I would certainly listen to them and confirm that they meet your expectations before buying (or wait for the first reviews if you cannot audition).

Edit: Typing while Slippery posted!
Let me put it like this.

I own:
Philharmonitors (Alexis)
Primus 363
DT 350
Mackie CR-3
Goldenear Triton 2

Yet, I'm still trying to figure out how to swing a pair of the Elacs after hearing them :cool:

The thing is, the GF was clear......if I buy another set of speakers, then 1 set has to go :(

jennicalexica

jennicalexica

Enthusiast
I am looking for a pair of bookshelves for a friend of mine. Budget is 500$.
These are some of the bookshelves that are available back here.

Which among these would you guys recommend?

Polk, Kef, Wharfedale Diamond, Dali, Q Acoustics, Monitor Audio, Tannoy, B&W, Mordaunt Short, Focal, Dynaudio, Quad, PSB, Klipsh, Infinity Primus, SVS

Klipsh have always done me well =)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis