$500-600 power amplifier suggestion

E

Erhan

Audiophyte
I opened a thread last week asking for a new setup question. In that thread, someone suggested that I can use Oppo bdp 103/105 as a pre amplifier, hence just getting a power amplifier would be sufficient. This is great because I believe that shorter signal path from the source to the speaker is better.

The problem is, I am not able to find any! From what I can see, power amps are usually more expensive. Right now, I ordered Oppo 105 and NAD C 356. But I also want to try a power amp to compare to NAD, and choose one of them. The NAD C 356 is $800, so ideally what I am looking for is a power amplifier with similar build quality and power rating without the pre amp, hence, maybe a $100 or $200 cheaper. So I can use that money for something else.

The most common suggestion for a power amp is Emotiva XPA 200. But then I see a lot of people with negative opinion on this brand... NAD has couple options like the C245 and C275. The latter is above my budget, and the former is a "weird" design (quad amp). So I am not sure about that one.

I also looked into monoblocks.. Again, they tend to be quiet expensive and usually with massive power. The speakers I have in mind are PSB Image T6 or similar to that range in similar price point (Wharfedale 10.7 etc). The listening room dimensions are 20'x10'. So I don't think I need 200Wpc..

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I don't agree with using these units as a stand alone preamp, but that's your choice. I'd opt for an integrated amp vs using them as you get the pre and amp in one package without other "features".

For Emotiva, you've seen a few threads with people complaining. You can find that for every brand if you look, and there will always be those who have bad experiences. The amps tend to be quite solid and have an excellent warranty, so I wouldn't worry about that. You missed all of the good sales that were over the holidays at this point, but even the UPA-200 will likely power your choices adequately if you aren't looking for extreme levels. Take a look at Outlaw audio, though they offer monos or multichannel, not 2ch amps, and they aren't cheap either, but B-stock has good deals, though there are no monos currently.

Your BEST bet for an amp for a good price is likely used.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I can tell you first hand the emo stuff is good and you get much more than you pay for, like J said you will find negative comments for most every unit and the more you sell the more chance you get a negative comment and I find this is true in spades for ID companies since 100% off their customer base uses the internet, of course they are going to use it to complain if there is a problem....

So that being said the Emo line is very nice, I own a few, and I like the OUtlaw line, If I were you I would buy 2 outlaw 2200's mono blocks are less likely to have cross talk than multi channel units... plus they look better :) .. I have a piar of 2200's and they sound great... heres a set of demos from MD for a little less than a new set costs, I have dealt with md they are first rate...
OUTLAW MODEL 2200 MONO AMP (PAIR) **DEMO** at Music Direct

As far as not needing 200wpc, headroom helps with sound quality, the more power the better...

another option is the apa150's, I love these little mono blocks, the are around $300 a pair and can be ran with stereo or mono 75x2 or 150x1 so you buy a pair and run them mono to your speakers, they have an internal fan {I own a few of these and never heard the fan once]... They make good power, the design is by Emotiva used to be called the bpa1, other companies have rebadged it but dayton seems to have it for the longest, great little amp...

Heres a pic of 2 of them on some maple/black walnut stands in front of the other amps

Last edited:
E

Erhan

Audiophyte
Great suggestions! Thank you guys.

That used Rotel looks great. I will consider that.
Also, that ATI-AT1202 looks very well designed (I'm an electrical engineer, and I know the value of clean designs).

I also like the Outlaw. I understand the benefits of monoblocks and it makes sense to me.

OK, now I have some researching to do!

Thank you again guys!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If you like ATI, then you will like Outlaw since they come from the same source.

The APA150s basically function as integrated amps as well, but in bridged mode you can only run a 8 Ohm speaker.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't agree with using these units as a stand alone preamp, but that's your choice. I'd opt for an integrated amp vs using them as you get the pre and amp in one package without other "features".

For Emotiva, you've seen a few threads with people complaining. You can find that for every brand if you look, and there will always be those who have bad experiences. The amps tend to be quite solid and have an excellent warranty, so I wouldn't worry about that. You missed all of the good sales that were over the holidays at this point, but even the UPA-200 will likely power your choices adequately if you aren't looking for extreme levels. Take a look at Outlaw audio, though they offer monos or multichannel, not 2ch amps, and they aren't cheap either, but B-stock has good deals, though there are no monos currently.

Your BEST bet for an amp for a good price is likely used.
+1

For best bang for the buck get a used AVR with pre-outs and Crown XLS1500 for an amp

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
This is great because I believe that shorter signal path from the source to the speaker is better.
It's really irrelevant and not audible.

I would get an AVR and have Audyssey XT + Sub EQ.

E

Erhan

Audiophyte
Okay. How about I increase the budget to $1000?

Emotiva XPA-200 vs Parasound A23. Emotiva has more power, but Parasound has Class A stage for the first few watts.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Get two Crown XLS 1500 DriveCores and MonoBlock them. Two will be $768.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Get two Crown XLS 1500 DriveCores and MonoBlock them. Two will be $768.
Bridged xls1500 at 8ohm is over 1000W - You'll need a lot of responsibility with such poawah
Pair of them is 1kW per Channel ! You could drive even these "satellite" speakers and fill medium size STADIUM with loud sound

jinjuku

jinjuku

Bridged xls1500 at 8ohm is over 1000W - You'll need a lot of responsibility with such poawah
Pair of them is 1kW per Channel ! You could drive even these "satellite" speakers and fill medium size STADIUM with loud sound
Don't know where you got your numbers but the 1500 is 1550 Watts (1Khz so discount it for 20-20) Monoblocked at 4 Ohm. So I would say at best for Monoblock 8 Ohm you are going to get 500 watts rated 20Hz to 20Khz. Still a lot of head room.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Don't know where you got your numbers but the 1500 is 1550 Watts (1Khz so discount it for 20-20) Monoblocked at 4 Ohm. So I would say at best for Monoblock 8 Ohm you are going to get 500 watts rated 20Hz to 20Khz. Still a lot of head room.
Jin, re-read what I said - 8 ohm. at 1khz it's rated at 1050W.
That said, it was my mistake to quote 8 ohm power since JTRs are 4ohms and then you're right it would 1550W bridged into 4 Ohm :)
Given both numbers at 1khz, not 20-20, 20-20 number would be in fact a bit lower, but again it's MOAR than plenty of POWAH

Last edited:
R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I would probably go for the EMO as their amps have never let me know and they actually match the Oppos :D

T

TheHills44060

Junior Audioholic
Lots of good suggestions so far. I do think your best value would be to go the used route but it's not mandatory. Historically I've had positive amp experiences with ATI, Parasound and Rotel. Haven't used any Outlaw gear before but their amps seem interesting and at least worth considering I would think. I wouldn't touch an Emotiva amp with a 10 foot pole. Cheap and ugly with shoddy performance to match.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Lots of good suggestions so far. I do think your best value would be to go the used route but it's not mandatory. Historically I've had positive amp experiences with ATI, Parasound and Rotel. Haven't used any Outlaw gear before but their amps seem interesting and at least worth considering I would think. I wouldn't touch an Emotiva amp with a 10 foot pole. Cheap and ugly with shoddy performance to match.
Nothing wrong with an Emotiva Amp.

E

Erhan

Audiophyte
Thanks for all the advice guys. I got all the stuff delivered today.

Oppo105
Emotiva XPA-2
PSB T6

I'm really happy with the sound. This is the first time I'm buying an audiophile level stereo, and now I understand what everyone mean by soundstage. Wow!

I was worried that 300Wpc power would be too much, but the DAC in Oppo is really good, I can actually get the volume low enough

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis