5 Reasons Dolby Atmos May Be DOA

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
"Moses threw down the Atmos tablets and smashed them at the foot of the mountain"

Moses, wasn't happy when he found out Exodus Gods and Kings, got dtsHDMA 7.1 instead of Dolby TrueHD 7.1 Atmos. :D
Andy I love it! Mind if I use this image in an upcoming article?

witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic
I use a PC as a source to my home theater and pretty much just stream from movie and music services. I see nearly every new flagship receiver/processor has bluetooth and internet access. If I wanted to I could stream from my tablet to my processor via bluetooth but prefer my PC. So maybe I am the only guy here using a PC as a source for my home theater but so far so good. As for streaming Atmos enabled content I don't care as long as I can upmix it. I am just waiting to see the DTS-X news announcement before deciding the changes I will make to my theater. I can't comment on how any of the upscaled mixes will sound but look forward to testing it out.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I use a PC as a source to my home theater and pretty much just stream from movie and music services. I see nearly every new flagship receiver/processor has bluetooth and internet access. If I wanted to I could stream from my tablet to my processor via bluetooth but prefer my PC. So maybe I am the only guy here using a PC as a source for my home theater but so far so good. As for streaming Atmos enabled content I don't care as long as I can upmix it. I am just waiting to see the DTS-X news announcement before deciding the changes I will make to my theater. I can't comment on how any of the upscaled mixes will sound but look forward to testing it out.
That' cool but you're definitely in the minority on this. Also, NOBODY is using a PC to do audio decoding. So again, an Atmos Laptop or Smartphone is nothing more than a buzz word feature.

see the article we just posted on this topic here:
http://www.audioholics.com/editorials/dolby-wants-to-bring-a-theatrical-experience-to-mobile

I'm waiting on Atmos breakfast cereal next. Imagine a semi-osmotic non nutritive cereal varnish that keeps the cereal elevated at the top of the milk :0

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
That' cool but you're definitely in the minority on this. Also, NOBODY is using a PC to do audio decoding. So again, an Atmos Laptop or Smartphone is nothing more than a buzz word feature.

see the article we just posted on this topic here:
http://www.audioholics.com/editorials/dolby-wants-to-bring-a-theatrical-experience-to-mobile

I'm waiting on Atmos breakfast cereal next. Imagine a semi-osmotic non nutritive cereal varnish that keeps the cereal elevated at the top of the milk :0

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Interesting comments on Atmos and Auro upmixers using the new Marantz 7702 processor.
In a nutshell they sound great on movies but not so hot on music according to this review by Jay Haider:
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/ssps/ssps-reviews/marantz-av7702-surround-sound-processor-review.html
He may have forgotten to disable "Center spread" when listening to 2CH music. With that feature enabled it severely degrades the imaging of the front left/right channels for 2CH stereo sources.

M

MatrixDweller

Enthusiast
I can't say that I could really hear a difference watching Gravity in the theater with ATMOS compared to at home with Dolby True. Definitely not enough to want to sell all of my gear and buy new.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
I can't say that I could really hear a difference watching Gravity in the theater with ATMOS compared to at home with Dolby True. Definitely not enough to want to sell all of my gear and buy new.
I just bought GRAVITY again cheaper than I saw on eBay £30.00. I paid £19.00 Amazon import 2 week. I'm only interested to listen to the Dolby TrueHD 7.1 and see what rear stereo back surrounds are like.

Does the rear back have sound effects with other voices and dialog pans or does it have sound effects/music/voices/dialog pans.

Some 7.1 films often only have sound effects on stereo rear back others have effects/music while the sidewall will always carry effects/music.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Dolby Atmos is for the cinema and that's where it should be.

Grassy

Grassy

Full Audioholic
Wow what a great thread this is,i have just learnt to be open minded about Atmos and home theater in general and what has interested me is the backwards compatibility in the mix. Also i believe that we don't have to spend a great deal of money straight away and we should think of this as a long term investment. For what i have read on here i don't want Atmos to just go away. This thread represents more hope and enjoyment for all of us in our world of home theater. I'm excited by the possibilities.:) A fine thread indeed.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
What about home cinema? Its still cinema.
Home should have every common avr that all like alike to other avr's should all be fitted with multi D-25 connectors to use the full 64 channels without mixers giving poor excuses ducking questions and re-mixing it down on the dynamics for near field with tampered filtered frequency response.

bluray for me is back on the BOYCOTTED list. Last time this year I BOYCOTTED it for 5.6 months. This time I might BOYCOTT buying new titles until this near field crap STOPS! And that THEATRICAL MIXES ARE USED ON bluray!

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I don't see why it's only for the cinema, when some home theaters are way better than the cinema and Atmos would make it even better.
Because most people can't and won't install ceiling speakers. Now I do agree there might be some home cinemas where it might work, probably dedicated rooms.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis