5.1 Surround System $1000 budget

seeknshare

seeknshare

Enthusiast
Hello Forum Members,
I am newbie/new member. Looking for advice.

Our family room dimensions are 20x17x9 (20 Ft Length, 17 Ft width , 9 Ft height). Family room has tiles and one side has sliding door facing backyard. Family room has adjacent kitchen (See pics below)
It is two story house with MBR on top of family room. I believe the house is pre-wired (not sure) as we moved in recently. Have purchased LG 55LM6700 just now.

My budget for sound system components is ~$1000. Budget is slightly flexible (+$200) only if additional money brings lot of value.Main usage is to decent watching movie experience, listen to music over wireless network.

Would you please advise
A. What could be good system (receiver, sub-woofer, speakers ).
B. One of the Craigslist contractors suggested following system: Denon AVR-1913 Receiver ($530), Four NXG Pro series 6.5 in ceiling speaker ($300), NXG Pro Series center speaker ($120) and NXG Pro Series sub ($150). Total component cost $1100 and labor $300. Is that good configuration/price.
C. Are ceiling flush mount speakers better compared to speakers mounted on wall.

Appreciate all your help.

Regards

Last edited:
ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Nice room...

If it were my money...

Pioneer series 2 seems to be the winning low budget speaker set rite now, they just came out and everyone is impressed, I heard them at best buy and they seem warm, defined, and easy on the ears...
Plus the price, is GREAT, 2 towers, 2 bookshelfs and a center for $400 from tigersdirect... Not bad for a speaker everyone is raving about...

So there goes $400...

Next sub, I am a fan of the STF2 although your room is kind of large, newegg has a klipsch {I never heard but looks good :rolleyes:} on sale... msrp is $1000 on sale for $349 Newegg.com - Klipsch Reference RW-12d 12" Powered Subwoofer Each w/ New box

So either way, the stf2 or the sale klipsch your around $350

Now a receiver you should have about $250 left, People here like the denons which for $250 you can get a 1712, 691, 1613, ect check Accessories4less: High End Audio at Low End Prices!
But for AVRs I like preouts in case you ever want to upgrade to a separate amp, or if your avrs amo section ever quits you can still use it as a preamp... I like the onkyo 709 which is $450 or so... That would eat up your extra $200:)

Good luck..

seeknshare

seeknshare

Enthusiast
Thanks IMCloud

Thank you for detailed thoughtful response. I will check out Pioneer speakers. I will also go through the forums to understand STF2 /preouts

Quick followup.
Would you have opinion about speakers :
Four NXG Pro series 6.5 in ceiling speaker. Contractor said that previous owner would have speakers in ceiling. (was 80% sure).
Are there any better candidates for ceiling speaker if budget is not a constraint.

Regards

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Thank you for detailed thoughtful response. I will check out Pioneer speakers. I will also go through the forums to understand STF2 /preouts

Quick followup.
Four NXG Pro series 6.5 in ceiling speaker. Contractor said that previous owner would have speakers in ceiling. (was 80% sure).
Are there any better candidates for ceiling speaker if budget is not a constraint.

Regards
Sorry STF2 is a sub made by HSU research costs around $350 shipped...

Preouts are plugs in the back of your receiver that will send a signal to an external amplifier incase you want more power to your speakers...

I am not a fan of ceilig speakers or built ins in general unless they are for abiance / back ground music, for serious listening or home theater, I hae never heard one worth paying for... I have heard them, a freind of mine has a set of speakers built in for his surround speakers, and he doesnt use them, he has a set on stands next to his couch...

The good thing about preouts is when you want to upgrade you can get a separate amplifier to power your 3 front speakers, then you can add another matching sub if you want more bass, and then you can replace your front 3 speakers as a last upgrade... this way you have the entire system rite from the start and you dont waste money on anything, the only thing you will really replace is your front 3 which the pioneers will be very easy to sell...

And if you think someday you will have a $20K system, then there still isnt really anyway for you to start small since, there isnt many components you can buy for a high end system for $1000, never mind have something that will make sound... You can get a $1000 avr, or a $1000 set of towers, ect....

Last edited:
96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
I see this question all the time, $600 system, $1000 system, $1500 system. But your going to get stuff you'll probably hate later. Save up. Buy a piece at a time. You'll be happier in the long run. I would start with a 2.0 system and build from there. With that I would set my sites on a receiver in the $700 range, and then look to Craiglist for some nice towers. I had all the money to buy my equipment all at once, and it still took me months and months to buy my equipment. Why? Because the more you look and learn, the more finicky you become and the happier you'll be with your purchase. Good luck. This site is a wealth of info.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Quick followup.
I would not use in-ceiling speakers for the front channel sound.
The sound would be above you and can be quite distracting. The
general sound and imaging with the soundstage presentation >
should be in front and around you, when watching the screen.

Due to some restrictions and compromise, in-ceiling speakers
can, and are used as surrounds. Look at Snell - a solid deal
SNELL OH-T7 Full-range 6.5-inch coax “Direct Power†waveguide Each | Accessories4less

Last edited:
seeknshare

seeknshare

Enthusiast
Thanks Jim (No in-ceiling speakers for front)

Thank you Jim. I will avoid using it for front channel.
Will do more research here to find right center speaker.
For surround sound due to preexisting wiring, may opt for in-ceiling

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Thank you Jim. I will avoid using it for front channel.
Will do more research here to find right center speaker.
For surround sound due to preexisting wiring, may opt for in-ceiling
I agree with the Pioneer reccomendations >> a very good
realistic sounding speaker set, for the budget minded.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3381568&CatId=5696

The Pioneer center is the proper match for the front channel
Pioneer speakers.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3381567&CatId=5693

If it can be worked out - the BS22 is a good mate for surrounds
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3381565&CatId=5689

If you choose the Pioneers - then I would aim for a good sub
that is not boomy sounding. >> The Pioneer bass is tight and
articulate sounding - and should be mated with a good sub.

This Denon can be a nice receiver for you - 891
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR891/DENON-AVR-891-7.1-Channel-105W-A/V-1.4-3D-Ready-Receiver/1.html

Last edited:
seeknshare

seeknshare

Enthusiast
Leaning towards Polk Speakers

Based on Amazon reviews and Audioholics advice, I am leaning towards following. Will this be good idea?

L&R:polk Audio RTI A1 Bookshelf
Center:polk-Audio-Center-Channel-Speaker

Surround:polk-Audio-SC60i-Ceiling-Speaker
Sub:polk Audio PSW505 12-Inch
Receiver : Denon AVR-1913

Regards

ps: I could not link urls, as I have not crossed threshold.

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Heavens, no. Please do not go spending your $1000 budget on that Polk setup. Especially not the subwoofer. Polk speakers are...o...k. But you can do so much better.

1) Get the Pioneer 2nd gen (model numbers all end with a "2") Andrew Jones speakers.

SP-FS52 towers for front left & right
SP-C22 Center
SP-BS22-LR bookshelf speakers for surrounds.

You can get them at Best Buy for $250/pair for the towers ($125 each), $100 for the Center, and $100/pair for the bookshelf surrounds.

If you want a slightly better price, tigerdirect.com is selling the SP-FS52 towers for $100 each ($200 for a pair) - the price shows up at checkout. The Center and pair of bookshelf surrounds are the same $100 price as at Best Buy.

Unless you absolutely need 7 amp channels for some reason, there's no need for the AVR-1913. Instead, head on over to accessories4less.com and get a deal on the AVR-1713 for $299.

accessories4less is a fully authorized Denon dealer. You get a full 1 year warranty. They simply sell clearance or refurbished units, which are good as new. This is absolutely the best place to buy a receiver.

The 1713 has all the same network features, AirPlay and inputs as the 1913. The 1713 actually has a BETTER "level" of Audyssey than the 1913. I know it's weird since the 1713 is a "lower" model number. But for two years in a row now, the 17xx model has gotten Audyssey MultEQ XT, while the 19xx model gets Audyssey MultEQ (one step down from MultEQ XT, despite being a higher model number). The only thing the 1713 gives up are two amp channels. The 1913 has 7 amp. The 1713 has 5. If you're only going to run a 5.1 speaker setup anyway, why pay more for the 1913 and take a step DOWN to Audyssey MultEQ while doing so?

If you really want AirPlay, network features and 7 amp channels, get the 1912 from accessories4less for the same $299 price as the 1713. It's basically identical to the 1913, so why pay $50 extra?

And if you don't care about AirPlay and network features, forget all of them and get the 1712 from A4L for $249! Weirdly, the 1712 has 7 amps AND MultEQ XT. It just gives up AirPlay and the network connection. So the 1712 is my favourite because it costs the least ($249), it had 7 amps if you want them, it has Audyssey MultEQ XT. And you can always add an AppleTV or a network streaming box later and do those things better than the built in versions in the 1713, 1912, or 1913!

So, if you take this advice and spend $400 on the 5 Pioneer speakers and $250 on the Denon AVR-1712 from A4L, you'll have $350 left to get a decent subwoofer.

Since you have a large room, the best option, IMO, is the Klipsch Reference RW-12D on sale for $320 at newegg.com at the moment I'm writing this. Sale price there seems to fluctuate. Normally see it at $350. But it's a clearance model. Stock won't last long. It's a very decent subwoofer overall, but most important, it can handle your large room size in terms of output, AND it fits your budget perfectly.

This Pioneer, Denon, Klipsch package is the best ~$1000 5.1 package for a larger room by a country mile at the moment. There's never been an easier recommendation than this. I can't stress enough how much you should buy these particular products, given your budget and room size. Only possible question is the exact model of Denon receiver. I hope my description was clear enough for you to determine which one has the features you want. :)

Forget the Polks. Especially the Polk subwoofer. Get this package instead. You'll be VERY glad you did.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Based on Amazon reviews and Audioholics advice, I am leaning towards following. Will this be good idea?

Regards

ps: I could not link urls, as I have not crossed threshold.
Where did this come from, do your self a favor and dont do that...

The pioneers a denon avr, and the klipsch sub is now even cheaper, while supplies last... Dont think about it just buy it...;)

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan

It is easy to find some good reviews on just about any speakers
on Amazon.

Now, time to turn back to the Pioneer reccomendations. Also, you
said that your budget was a little flexable >>> now based on the
Pioneer reccomendations, and a $250 receiver > you can add the
HSU VTF-2 MK4 Sub, and it will come to $1250.
VTF-2 MK4 Subwoofer

Your call and good luck!
"My budget for sound system components is ~$1000. Budget is slightly flexible (+$200)
only if additional money brings lot of value."

On a side note, even the Energy S10.3, 10 inch subwoofer will beat
the Polk PSW505 Sub. A Polk sub review
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_12_2/polk-psw-505-subwoofer-4-2005.html

Last edited by a moderator:
seeknshare

seeknshare

Enthusiast
Thanks IMCloud and FirstReflection

This Pioneer, Denon, Klipsch package is the best ~$1000 5.1 package for a larger room by a country mile at the moment. There's never been an easier recommendation than this
Highly appreciate your responses. I can not believe detailed guidance provided by FirstReflection and IMCloud(in earlier replies). It motivates me to help others in my field of expertise.
I value your judgement and I will incorporate as I make final decision.

A.
where did it (Polk) suggestion come from
A1. Craigslist home-theater contractor suggested this option. He does not sell those. Earlier he had suggested nxg in ceiling which he sells. Also as per him, there is in-ceiling speakers wirinng already. So I guess he wants to reuse that wiring.
A2. Reg sub: I asked contractor opinion [Klipsch Sub-12HG Synergy Series 12-Inch vs Klipsch RW12D vs Polk Audio PSW505] and he suggested PSW505. Also as per him we should use same brand speakers and sub. Is that correct?

B. Questions/decisions.
B1. Floor standing speakers: Our son is 4year old and we (layman thinking) thought Bookshelf(with wall mount) is safer option. So If I go for Pioneer SP-BS22-LR for front left/right. Is that good idea.
B2. I do not need airplay as I dont have apple devices.. I want to have ability to play music from my computer over wifi. So in future I plan to buy Google tv/roku. Based on FirstReflection's detailed advice,: I will go for Dennon 1712.
B3. Sub: I will go for Klipsch Reference RW-12D.

ps: I will also do more homework to understand 5.1 vs 7.1, visit the store to listen Pioneer, other concepts etc

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
A1. Craigslist home-theater contractor suggested this option. He does not sell those. Earlier he had suggested nxg in ceiling which he sells. Also as per him, there is in-ceiling speakers wirinng already. So I guess he wants to reuse that wiring.
A2. Reg sub: I asked contractor opinion [Klipsch Sub-12HG Synergy Series 12-Inch vs Klipsch RW12D vs Polk Audio PSW505] and he suggested PSW505. Also as per him we should use same brand speakers and sub. Is that correct?

B. Questions/decisions.
B1. Floor standing speakers: Our son is 4year old and we (layman thinking) thought Bookshelf(with wall mount) is safer option. So If I go for Pioneer SP-BS22-LR for front left/right. Is that good idea.

ps: I will also do more homework to understand 5.1 vs 7.1, visit the store to listen Pioneer, other concepts etc
You are getting conflicting advise from the contractor. You
do not need to speaker/series match the subwoofer.

What will be your seating distance from your TV and front
speakers. It does not seem that you are looking for head-
banging or extreme volume levels. While some people will
not reccomend the bookshelves in a room your size, I know
that I can hear them and enjoy them in that size room.

"My budget for sound system components is ~$1000. Budget
is slightly flexible (+$200) only if additional money brings lot
of value.Main usage is to decent watching movie experience,
listen to music over wireless network."

I would not look at 7.1 on a limited tight budget - A good 5.1
with a good sub, will out perform a 7.1. You are mainly talking
about sound effects.

When you audition speakers, be careful and pay attention to
those which seem to jump out at you in the stores. Some are
voiced to draw your attention. However, they tend to have an
un-balanced sound with a somewhat boosted treble and with
a boomy/muddy bass, that will try to cover up a weak midrange.
The Pioneer is voiced and balanced >> to have a more realistic
and natural type sound. However, you are still the final judge.

Last edited by a moderator:
seeknshare

seeknshare

Enthusiast
Subwoofer Question

FirstReflection/ImcLoud/Jim
Based on earlier guidance, I have ordered Denon and will order Pioneer speakers soon.
I had almost narrowed down to Klipsch RW12DSub, but when I looked at Amazon reviews.. reviewes indicate that it can be too loud/shakes the home.
I want decent movie watching experience, but I am not looking for house to shake! May be Amazon reviewers are exaggerating.
Is there any alternate suggestion which is cheaper and still provides decent movie experience

--Amazon review snippets--
Movies/Games: The smooth, subtle, yet powerful cleanliness I mentioned above is also the case with movies and games. I played a little Call of Duty on my Playstation. Forget the vibrating controller! Who needs it! I found myself running for cover as if grenades were actually exploding in my living room. Just to test the thing out, I put in Transformers 2 and cranked it up. Explosions are AWESOME. My entire house shakes. I'm not talking just a rumble in my seat. I mean the floor moves up and down, and things like pictures and knick-knacks fall. I turned it all the way up and went outside just to make sure I was pissing off the neighbors, and my mailbox out at the road was vibrating. THAT was EXACTLY what I was looking for in a subwoofer!
That has been plenty good enough to shake the whole house! Now that I have turned
the volume up for the sub on the receiver, I can now shake my house and the
surrounding houses in my area
Let your receiver calibrate with one of those special microphones. Sit back and feel the floor shake with the opening car scene of I Am Legend

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Based on earlier guidance, I have ordered Denon and will order Pioneer speakers soon.
I had almost narrowed down to Klipsch RW12DSub, but when I looked at Amazon reviews.. reviewes indicate that it can be too loud/shakes the home.
I want decent movie watching experience, but I am not looking for house to shake! May be Amazon reviewers are exaggerating.
Is there any alternate suggestion which is cheaper and still provides decent movie experience

--Amazon review snippets--
The simple answer is to turn down the sub.
However, I would suggest you might go ahead and get settled into rest of the system, then add the sub later. If you are not into the deeper bass, the Pioneers may suffice, and if you get a sub later, it'll be like having Christmas twice instead of all at once.:)

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
As was stated by KEW, you can always turn it down. Also,
remember Black Friday sales will be here soon.

Since you are not looking for the head-banging levels, you
can look at the HSU STF-2 sub. > It will be respectful and
nice for non head-bangers.

If you can swing it, the VTF-1 is a nice option.

Klipsch is your call - however for me and the Pioneer speakers,
I prefer something else. Good luck.

seeknshare

seeknshare

Enthusiast
Thanks Jim (Sub)

Based on yours and KEW's inputs, I will wait for Sub and look out HSU STF-2

seeknshare

seeknshare

Enthusiast
Surround Rear L/R In Ceiling

With Pioneer L/R/C, Denon receiver out of the way,
I wanted to take your opinion reg in ceiling speaker option (wife's preference) for rear L/R surround sound.

New egg in ceiling options

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis