5.1 Setup Help ( B&W, Monitor Audio, Elac)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
No i did not. the first shop carried B&W and Paradigm only, the second shop had monitor audio (and others) but no B&W the third shop only had elac. and the fourth shop had monitor audio, focal, pMC etc.. i did however test them all in 4 hour time frame. most of the setups i heard were running of a 2 channel setup wit a rotel amp or something similar. so yes i See where you are going with this. wish i could have listened to them all together.....
I used to own a few sets of speakers concurrently. People were shocked at how similar speakers sounded when level-matched and the bass "removed" from the equation (using 2.1 setup so that the SAME subwoofer played the bass for all speakers). They were all connected to the same system and source. Switching was instant.

When all you are comparing are the treble and midrange (in Direct mode), you will be surprised, especially level-matched and instant switching.

One decibel off can make a significant difference.

E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
One decibel off can make a significant difference.
I agree with this.

I used to own a few sets of speakers concurrently. People were shocked at how similar speakers sounded when level-matched and the bass "removed" from the equation (using 2.1 setup so that the SAME subwoofer played the bass for all speakers). They were all connected to the same system and source. Switching was instant.

When all you are comparing are the treble and midrange (in Direct mode), you will be surprised, especially level-matched and instant switching.
I disagree with this. Especially when comparing treble & midrange.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I disagree with this. Especially when comparing treble & midrange.
I'm sure everyone thinks differently based on his/her experience.

My experience was based on owning Revel Salon2, B&W 802D2, Linkwitz Orion 3.2.1, Philharmonic 3, KEF 201/2, & TAD 2201 in the same room for over a year.

What was your experience based on?

E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
I'm sure everyone thinks differently based on his/her experience.

My experience was based on owning Revel Salon2, B&W 802D2, Linkwitz Orion 3.2.1, Philharmonic 3, KEF 201/2, & TAD 2201 in the same room for over a year.

What was your experience based on?
Plenty, plenty of stand-mounts that have rolled through here 3,4,5 at at time.

If you didn't hear a difference in the treble and midrange in the speakers you mentioned, something was amiss in your chain or elsewhere.

We don't even have to get into higher end speakers to hear that there is a difference. Just take a look at the original Pioneer BS-22's vs the original Philharmonic Audio AA Monitors (both speakers had no bass output to speak of). Same enclosure and same mid woofer used in both. All Dennis did was change the tweeter, add some fill and revise the crossover and the treble and the midrange were completely, totally and undeniably different. No level matching would ever make them the same.

If you can't hear the difference in treble & midrange presentation between speakers, I can't help you.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If you didn't hear a difference in the treble and midrange in the speakers you mentioned, something was amiss in your chain or elsewhere.

If you can't hear the difference in treble & midrange presentation between speakers, I can't help you.
Everyone and every experience is different. No need for any help or judgement.

Last edited:
E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
Everyone and every experience is different. No need for any help or judgement.
Maybe you reconsidered your comments hence the deleted/edited post.

It's true that we all have different experiences and opinions, but as they say, you are not entitled to your own facts. What you say can easily be disproved by the very graphs and measurements that you espouse.

Audioholics is one of the forums that I believe relies on science. I'd hate for a beginner getting into this hobby to read this thread and believe that the midrange & treble of different high-end speakers (now that you narrowed it down) sound shockingly similar. What a load of misinformation.

The transducer is probably the link in the chain that has the greatest impact on the final sound we hear. Materials used all respond differently to impulse, enclosure sizes and crossover designs are different all producing varying results. Finally, the end goal of the designer and their ideas as to how to achieve them is not always the same. How can they all somehow come out with a final product that has surprisingly nearly identical midrange & treble? Nonsense!

Last edited:
mwoltmann

mwoltmann

Enthusiast
A solid choice IMO I hope you are loving them, I have them in my living room, the big 800s are in my listening room and I hope one day you get to own a pair of the 800s... The sound is ammmaazzzing

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis