5.1 Compatibility Issues?

I

Ivan Treg

Audiophyte
Hi guys,

I'm getting a home theatre setup (HTIB) soon and I'm just wondering about compatibility for a few of my devices.

Will I get 5.1 through my Roku and PS4/PS3 (HMDI into TV, then Optical into receiver), Roku for Netflix and Plex, PS4/PS3 for Blu-Rays. I'm not too knowledgeable in terms of how a 5.1 signals work sorry!

Also in terms of home theatre setups would getting a new receiver make much of a difference with lower end speakers, such as ones that come a with less than $400 HTIB setup?

Thanks!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Get a HTIB that has a receiver that has HDMI. Then you go to the receiver with HDMI for all the devices and one HDMI cable to the TV. Yes, you can still get 5.1 from those devices via optical if you can't get an HDMI receiver.

Speakers are the most important aspect of your system in terms of sound, so better speakers will make a much bigger difference than upgrading the receiver. With an HTiB, the speakers are usually the weakest link (definitely in a system at $400), so you may want to consider a better quality 3.1 setup initially and then add surrounds later.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I was under the impression that optical had artificial limitations that wouldn't allow 5.1. Am I mistaken?

In any case, I am positive that not ALL TVs can take a 5.1 over HDMI and then feed the 5.1 to the receiver via optical.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
How do you think we got 5.1 before HDMI? :D You can't get 7.1 via SPDIF (optical/coaxial).

That is also correct, not all TVs can pass the 5.1 signal through and those that can't will give you stereo only.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Get a HTIB that has a receiver that has HDMI. Then you go to the receiver with HDMI for all the devices and one HDMI cable to the TV. Yes, you can still get 5.1 from those devices via optical if you can't get an HDMI receiver.

Speakers are the most important aspect of your system in terms of sound, so better speakers will make a much bigger difference than upgrading the receiver. With an HTiB, the speakers are usually the weakest link (definitely in a system at $400), so you may want to consider a better quality 3.1 setup initially and then add surrounds later.
True, however, if your receiver came as part of the $400 htib, the receiver may not be capable with standard speakers or sub.
In this case, you are forced to buy a new receiver before you can change speakers or sub. You should tell us the specific model of receiver.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
How do you think we got 5.1 before HDMI? :D You can't get 7.1 via SPDIF (optical/coaxial).

That is also correct, not all TVs can pass the 5.1 signal through and those that can't will give you stereo only.
Thanks for clarifying that for me! I guess that by the time I was getting serious about my A/V gear, HDMI was starting to hit the market, so I missed that.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for clarifying that for me! I guess that by the time I was getting serious about my A/V gear, HDMI was starting to hit the market, so I missed that.
And here I thought a fiber optic connections were so high tech and state of the art :)

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Before you go out and buy an A/V receiver, make sure to ask and check the forums for advice. HTIB kits range from all-in-one units which are terrible, to proper A/V receivers with separate speakers which can be upgraded later. Most have 3 or 4 HDMI inputs, and you want to run your sources into the receiver, not into the TV. No optical/coaxial needed. SOURCE(S)->HDMI->RECEIVER->HDMI->TV

It keeps setup simple.

http://www.accessories4less.com has some nice entry level systems at very reasonable prices to get things going and to get you looking in the right direction. But the guys here can really help you out.

I

Ivan Treg

Audiophyte
Hey guys,

I ended up getting the LG BH6430P all-in-one as I was still unsure about investing too much money into something more expensive.

It does let me arc through hmdi for audio with my TV, if that even makes a difference vs optical for this system.

It was recommended to me by a friend who was able to get it for me for $150 after employee discount so I don't feel too bad in terms of a cost to performance ratio. Outperforms my TV speakers by a long shot.

Not sure where I stand in terms of upgrading this system or whether I'd have to start fresh all together.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!

P.S. Any good movies to test the system?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis