5.1 Cable to 2ch Cable Adapter

E

extend

Audiophyte
Hi. I'm new here, and I need some advice about my topic. I honestly don't have an idea if I'm at the right section but here goes. I have a DVD player and don't have a 5.1 sound system because we can't afford it. We just directly hook up the 2 channel stereo to our TV. However, there are some DVD movies that doesn't have 2 channel stereo option for the audio setup. The problem is we can't play any audio for that DVD. I tried connecting the Center to one of the audio slots of the TV, and I got the voice and other sound effects but I don't have music. 5.1 somehow divides the audio to different speakers if my understanding is correct. I'm thinking if there's a cable adapter from 5.1 to 2ch? Is there a way to connect a 5.1 system to the TV? I don't mind if the whole mixture of the sound is just 2 channel because of course the TV doesn't offer it, but I just want to watch a movie with the intended complete mix of the audio - voice, sound effects, background music etc.

Thanks in advance.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
The red/white connections you are currently using should provide a "down-mix" of all 5.1 (or whatever) channels in that two-chanel feed.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
ALL DVD players can do this. As mentioned, you simply use the stereo analog outputs and everything will be downmixed to 2ch.

E

extend

Audiophyte
<i>ALL DVD players can do this. As mentioned, you simply use the stereo analog outputs and everything will be downmixed to 2ch.</i>

That was my first expectation. However, my DVD player's stereo analog outputs are not down mixing the audio if the 5.1 audio is selected in the DVD. It works fine if the 2 channel stereo is selected though, but some of the DVD that I have doesn't have 2 channel option. Is there a way to down mix it on my own?

Last edited:
B

Big AV

Audiophyte
Maybe there is a setting in the DVD setup, can you select 2ch stereo anywhere, alternatively run a scart cable to your TV and use the audio outputs on the TV and it should work.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That was my first expectation. However, my DVD player's stereo analog outputs are not down mixing the audio if the 5.1 audio is selected in the DVD. It works fine if the 2 channel stereo is selected though, but some of the DVD that I have doesn't have 2 channel option. Is there a way to down mix it on my own?
What player? We can probably look it up and figure it out. Does the player have multichannel outputs as well as the stereo outputs? If it has multichannel outs, you will want to make sure you are not using the main L&R pair for your outputs or you will get only the R&L information and lose the rest, however you should be able to fix that by going into the speaker setup menu and turning off those speakers.

Does your receiver have a digital input? If you turn the other speakers off and feed it a digital signal it will do the downmixing for you also.

In some players it will have a configuration for how to handle the downmixing in the audio setup, this should be set to stereo.

E

extend

Audiophyte
It's a Hyundai DVD player. I bought it last December 2006. I forgot the model. I'm at work right now so I'm gonna check it after work.

Yes, it has a multichannel outputs that says 5.1 as well as stereo outputs. Are you talking about the speaker setup at the DVD (disc movie menu) where you have to choose if it's 2 channel or 5.1? As weird as it is, some of the DVD (disc) that I have doesn't have an option for 2 channel.

About the scart cable, as far as I know, it's the cable that looks like PS2's audio and video cable, right? Is there a scart cable that has a 5.1 cable on the other side and a 2 channel stereo on the other side?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
No, I am talking about the setup menu in the player itself.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The DVD player itself will have a 'DVD PLAYER SETUP' menu which allows you to set your TV type (4:3, 16:9 Letterbox, 16:9 Pan & Scan), your audio options (surround, stereo, etc.) as well as some other options.

This is where you want to set your audio up to let the player know that you are locked into a stereo only setup for audio.

It should be easy enough to do, and if not, then spend $50 and get a new DVD player from Sony or some manufacturer that knows what they are doing.

E

extend

Audiophyte
Ah, I get it. I'll check on it this weekend. I had a terrible flu this past few days, but I'm back to work now. By the way, my DVD player is Hyudai HDP 410-K. I believe it's a generic one because the Hyundai doesn't have this model on their official website. Anyway, I'll just go on and explore its user interface and see what do I got. Thanks for everythings, guys. I really appreciated it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis