5.1.2 Setup question

Z

Zaim

Audiophyte
Hi,

I'm thinking of trying Dolby Atmos out, I've got two options but I'm not entirely sure which is the best option. If it helps my current house has fairly tall ceilings.

In ceiling speakers aren't an option for me unfortunately.

Option 1: Go with Elac Debut A4 and place them on top of my Tannoy Floorstanders. (Easy option)

Option 2: Go with the Tannoy Mercury VRI (I can get a pair for £99) and mount them on the wall just above/ever so slightly behind the MLP firing down.

Option 2 is actually £120 cheaper for me.

I've taken a photo of where I'd mount the speakers if I go with that option.

Would greatly appreciate some advice on this.

System spec:

TV: Sony KD55XD9305, AV Receiver: Denon AVR-X3300w, Speakers: Tannoy Mercury V4i (Front)/ v1i (Rear) + Tannoy Mercury VCi (Center), SVS PB-2000 (Sub), Blu-ray: Sony UBP-X800

Cheers

Attachments

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would see if your Atmos processor supports front wides instead of height speakers and just go with front wides instead. Otherwise go with option 2.

Z

Zaim

Audiophyte
Hi,

Sorry,

The photo is the area where I was thinking of mounting the .2 speakers for Atmos, which is at the rear of the seating area if that makes sense.

So they'd be mounted just in front of the surround speakers but at the top.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
5.1.2 would ideally have those atmos speakers just in front of the LP, but I think where you are looking(based on one photo) would work good enough. Make sure you move the LR surrounds down to ear level, or just above.

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/brands/dolby-atmos.html
I would not use upfiring modules.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I guess he could take a look see on thoses..he OP..is just thinking of going the Atoms route. There are a Ton of speakers and options he can go, do you have your set up in a 5.1.2?..
I don't, but have done 2 installations with those speakers in 5.2.4 and was impressed with them considering the built in heights.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
My mains are 73s - the towers. Great sound for my space. Hard to find the towers anymore.
Although the ones I linked are monitor size, they are 3 ways + the height speaker. These are the last one Andrew Jones designed FWIW

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis