$5,000 5.2 Channel Recommended Home Theater System

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
WE no longer put Displays in our recommended systems since, they change every 6 months and people most likely already have one and are now looking to add audio gear. we are Audioholics! :)
That is true - people are mainly looking for Audio recommendations.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Computer files are easy to backup. The best system is to keep the physical media as backup for digital files. After all, the more you use analog media, the more it degrades.

As for my 5.2 $5k system, it would probably look a lot like the one described in the article. I might swing for monopole surrounds as opposed to those bipoles. My ideal source would always be PC. I would probably go for a less expensive Hsu or Ascend/Rythmik speaker/sub system, and bring the source up to a $1k PC. But I think the system listed in the article is a very intelligently thought out and high value setup.
I have been doing that... putting my CD collection on a USB drive which is connected to the back of my WD TV drive. I've also copied some movies over to the hard drive as well. I need more shelf space for my video collection which has prompted me in moving my music collection onto a hard drive. :)

jinjuku

jinjuku

I'm old school and prefer physical media over computer files. Its too easy to loose computer files compared to physical media. Its just my personal quirk.
1 TB of online storage from Google is $9.99 / Month. Amazon has got to do something about their pricing. yeash.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
1 TB of online storage from Google is $9.99 / Month. Amazon has got to do something about their pricing. yeash.
I'm not putting any of my stuff on the cloud considering all the reported hacks that make the news. What's more concerning is the hacks that either don't get detected or are detected but not reported. My one Terabyte drive is now costing me less than $10/mo and getting cheaper by the month :p

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm not putting any of my stuff on the cloud considering all the reported hacks that make the news. What's more concerning is the hacks that either don't get detected or are detected but not reported. My one Terabyte drive is now costing me less than $10/mo and getting cheaper by the month :p
Same here. You can get 2TB HDD for $80 these days.

jinjuku

jinjuku

So you are worried that your backup of music in the cloud will get hacked?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
So you are worried that your backup of music in the cloud will get hacked?
Its a PITA to rip all that music again. No thanks. Besides, I do much better than $10/mo for a measley 1 TB of storage.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Its a PITA to rip all that music again. No thanks. Besides, I do much better than $10/mo for a measley 1 TB of storage.
Crashplan. $50/year - unlimited storage - Beat that :)

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
It's a backup. Not your only source.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
It's a backup. Not your only source.
Yes it is
I'm old school and prefer physical media over computer files. Its too easy to loose computer files compared to physical media. Its just my personal quirk.
and It will prevent loosing the files, the event 3db is so terrified :)

As for cost. 4tb Drive cost $150 or less? One time investment. Having it backed up automatically for only $4/month with near zero chance of losing - priceless

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
Zero redundancy and it's not a question... storage is cheap

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
I could have easily ended up with this setup when I setup my new (first "real") HT last year, but ended up going with Ascend speakers instead of EMP. I also bought the previous generation subwoofer from SVS (just before the the 2000 was announced, IIRC) and I already had sources so that didn't factor in. So either "great minds think alike" or I've partaken of the Audioholics Kool-Aid.

D

davec80

Audiophyte
Are you going to update this, now that the EMP speakers are all discontinued / can't order them anymore?

B

BRIAN_PDX

Enthusiast
Again, same comment as the $2,500 system, I will not own Denon after having terrible luck with their equipment over two systems and a decade. Did they adopt you? Terrible equipment and you should have a bit more versatile opinion.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis