4K Projector vs. 4K OLED & Home Theatre Setup

4K OLED or 4K Projector

• Total voters
B

Blackiemate

Audiophyte
Hi All,

I am keen to hear your view on this and suggestions for a complete setup from scratch.

A brief background - I have recently moved into a new house which has provisions for a motorized screen and projector to sit within a plinth in the ceiling. There are no provisions for wiring.

My budget is $12,000-$14,500 and so far my list is:

- Display Unit (Optima UHD65 or Sony 70" oled etc.)
- Speakers (I know there is a debate over in-ceiling and towers, bookshelf's etc.)
- AV Receiver
- DAC
- Xbox One X

Room dimensions are 16' x 19' with automated blinds, although they are not complete black out.

There are no acoustic dampers or insulation as far as I'm aware.

So I ask of you, if you had your time again, what would you recommend be a good balance between audio and visual components.

This is my first time, my only audio purchase to date is an Emotiva dc-1 & a pair of Adam A7X for a bit of music production.

Much Appreciated!!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
1) Try to figure out a) what is maximum size of screen which you could fit in your space and b) how far are you planning to sit from it. Take these numbers and check this article:
https://carltonbale.com/does-4k-resolution-matter/
2)I've yet to see one Optoma projector which doesn't mess up something terribly wrong even at 2.5k
3)Optoma UHD65 is actually neither UHD, 4k or as manufacturer boldly states in it's specs 3840×2160 as "native" resolution. it's not. It's using this chip: http://www.ti.com/product/DLP660TE which has full name as 0.66 4k. Check tech specs for "Number of active columns" and rows
I guess Optoma marketing dept "forgot" to add 0.66 next to 4k claims..
Source: http://www.projectorreviews.com/optoma/optoma-uhd65-4k-home-theater-projector-review/

Oled will deliver best image quality by far and it would mostly independent of lighting pollution, but most projectors only deliver best image in absolute darkness which is not easy to achieve in regular rooms - ie dark colored/painted walls, ceiling and floor as well of minimum of reflective objects.

Last edited:
B

Blackiemate

Audiophyte
Hi BoredSysAdmin,

Thanks for your advice. I had not realized about the Optoma, good pick-up! I suppose I'll be sat 10' away from the screen with a minimum of 65" screen.

Reading a little today, most are recommending at least a 75"

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Everything depends on your room.

If this is a dedicated theater space, and you have control over the lighting, wall, ceiling, and floor color and you want the most immersive experience, then front projection is the only way to go.

Per the previous poster, the .66 is a designation of the chip size. It is .66 inches in size, which is why it is left off of everything. Texas Instruments has a larger 4K chip and they are coming out with a .47" chip as well this year. The value of the TI chip in the Optoma is that it employs pixel shifting to generate the full 4K resolution which is delivered to it and has reportedly been about the sharpest projector under $5,000 on the market today.

That said, there is much more to consider than resolution. Resolution is about the third or fourth most important thing in a display device. That's why OLED is so hot. Not because it is 4K, but because it can achieve black levels which are far superior to LCD displays currently on the market. It just looks better overall with deep blacks, good motion, and solid shadow detail.

To get this level from a projector (and you better believe that you can!) you need to go to a better Sony unit or a JVC projector. There will be a Sony this year with a native 4K resolution (not pixel shifted) for about $5,000 and it should be stunning. There are also the JVC models which have contrast levels that are unmatched in the industry. JVC employs pixel shifting and will be a touch less sharp than the Optoma, but will outperform it in most other areas. Especially black levels and shadow detail.

The Sony will be a touch weaker than JVC on black levels, but will be sharper, and could be the best looking projector on the market for the year.

Now... In a dedicated room... Why an electric screen? It costs twice as much (or more) for a quality screen and goes down and up for no reason or value at all. Motorized screens are not better than fixed frame screens. They are cooler, but not better. If you want cool, then add some great lighting and some motorized drapes to hide the screen, or a adjustable aspect ratio screen.

With a 16' wide wall, and 19' of depth, you are likely into two rows of seating and a screen size that is easily 133" or larger. That's about four times the size of the OLED displays out there right now. One thing I can tell you is that we love our 64" plasma and it looks better than our front projector, but it's a completely different experience to enjoy the projector. Especially with sports and good movies. It is so much more like being at the theater and being at the game.

OLED, is a nice TV, but at the end of the day, it's just a TV and it doesn't create anything like a 'theater' experience. Home theater starts beyond 100".

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Everything depends on your room.

If this is a dedicated theater space, and you have control over the lighting, wall, ceiling, and floor color and you want the most immersive experience, then front projection is the only way to go.

Per the previous poster, the .66 is a designation of the chip size. It is .66 inches in size, which is why it is left off of everything. Texas Instruments has a larger 4K chip and they are coming out with a .47" chip as well this year. The value of the TI chip in the Optoma is that it employs pixel shifting to generate the full 4K resolution which is delivered to it and has reportedly been about the sharpest projector under $5,000 on the market today.

That said, there is much more to consider than resolution. Resolution is about the third or fourth most important thing in a display device. That's why OLED is so hot. Not because it is 4K, but because it can achieve black levels which are far superior to LCD displays currently on the market. It just looks better overall with deep blacks, good motion, and solid shadow detail.

To get this level from a projector (and you better believe that you can!) you need to go to a better Sony unit or a JVC projector. There will be a Sony this year with a native 4K resolution (not pixel shifted) for about $5,000 and it should be stunning. There are also the JVC models which have contrast levels that are unmatched in the industry. JVC employs pixel shifting and will be a touch less sharp than the Optoma, but will outperform it in most other areas. Especially black levels and shadow detail.

The Sony will be a touch weaker than JVC on black levels, but will be sharper, and could be the best looking projector on the market for the year.

Now... In a dedicated room... Why an electric screen? It costs twice as much (or more) for a quality screen and goes down and up for no reason or value at all. Motorized screens are not better than fixed frame screens. They are cooler, but not better. If you want cool, then add some great lighting and some motorized drapes to hide the screen, or a adjustable aspect ratio screen.

With a 16' wide wall, and 19' of depth, you are likely into two rows of seating and a screen size that is easily 133" or larger. That's about four times the size of the OLED displays out there right now. One thing I can tell you is that we love our 64" plasma and it looks better than our front projector, but it's a completely different experience to enjoy the projector. Especially with sports and good movies. It is so much more like being at the theater and being at the game.

OLED, is a nice TV, but at the end of the day, it's just a TV and it doesn't create anything like a 'theater' experience. Home theater starts beyond 100".
Sony native 4k resolution projector for $5k? Sounds like it was a good idea that I waited to get one. Any idea as to whether or not it can handle full HDR and BT.2020? Those are the two specs that I care most about.

To the questions in the OP. I can say that my panasonic VT60 has a vastly superior picture to my mitsubishi HC4000, but nothing beats the giant immersive picture. It's just a whole different experience watching movies that way. Once you own a front projection setup in a dedicated room, there's no going back.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Sony native 4k resolution projector for $5k? Sounds like it was a good idea that I waited to get one. Any idea as to whether or not it can handle full HDR and BT.2020? Those are the two specs that I care most about.
My understanding is that it isn't quite there yet with regards to full 18GBs support with HDR. But, there haven't been any reviews. I believe this was a CEDIA announcement. So, very new, but headed in the right direction.

To the questions in the OP. I can say that my panasonic VT60 has a vastly superior picture to my mitsubishi HC4000, but nothing beats the giant immersive picture. It's just a whole different experience watching movies that way. Once you own a front projection setup in a dedicated room, there's no going back.
It is worth saying that the VT60 is a top shelf unit while the Mits HC4000 is a decent mid-level unit. The JVCs are really like a Pioneer Elite level display. Their black levels trounce most others in terms of native contrast and just reach further. It is startling to see a JVC come on in a dark room. You don't even know the projector is on until it shines their pure white logo on a completely black screen.

But, yes, the front projection experience is just completely different than watching 'TV', and once you have experienced a 120"+ image size, it's pretty easy to understand why home theater with just a TV, isn't really home theater.[/QUOTE]

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
It is worth saying that the VT60 is a top shelf unit while the Mits HC4000 is a decent mid-level unit. The JVCs are really like a Pioneer Elite level display. Their black levels trounce most others in terms of native contrast and just reach further. It is startling to see a JVC come on in a dark room. You don't even know the projector is on until it shines their pure white logo on a completely black screen.

But, yes, the front projection experience is just completely different than watching 'TV', and once you have experienced a 120"+ image size, it's pretty easy to understand why home theater with just a TV, isn't really home theater.
Agreed. I got the Mits a few years before the VT60 and was very happy with it until I started watching the VT60 regularly. Made me want a better PJ. JVC is high on my list, but I'd like one with no pixel shifting. I love DLP, but if the current models have or could have issues and won't display BT.2020 then they are off the list.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Agreed. I got the Mits a few years before the VT60 and was very happy with it until I started watching the VT60 regularly. Made me want a better PJ. JVC is high on my list, but I'd like one with no pixel shifting. I love DLP, but if the current models have or could have issues and won't display BT.2020 then they are off the list.
From what I understand, this $5k VPL-VW285 is using 2 1080p chips to produce a 4k image.

@BMXTRIX would it be a fair to compare that to 1080i vs 1080p?

@Blackiemate You might be able to source a used entry level Epson projector (1040/1045 for example) for a few hundred, that way you don't need to commit much to the 'idea' of projection. But if this is a dedicated theater, I might argue that projection is the only way!

I don't feel this is the right time for 4k projection, the market is just too new. Of course better products are always available later on, but in this case I think that kind of money is better conserved for when this specific technology improves.

And this is an audio forum, so that means we now get to spend pages telling you what speakers to buy, in the interim!

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
I don't believe that's the case. According to Sony, the 285 uses native 4K SXRD panels.

I saw a demo at CEDIA and the performance was really great.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I don't believe that's the case. According to Sony, the 285 uses native 4K SXRD panels.

I saw a demo at CEDIA and the performance was really great.
I looked in to it further, I must be thinking of a different PJ.... could have sworn no one was offering full 4k at that price, and this is brand new. This is fantastic if they've gotten these down in price already!

Starting to feel the itch?

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
We are having a Sony sale right now, so PM me and I'll give you pricing.

B

Blackiemate

Audiophyte
@TheWarrior Happy to start on the speaker chat!! - I have narrowed my selection down to a Marantz NR1608 and Q Acoustics 3050. What would be your recommendations around this price point?

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
@TheWarrior Happy to start on the speaker chat!! - I have narrowed my selection down to a Marantz NR1608 and Q Acoustics 3050. What would be your recommendations around this price point?
My recommendation is to go and hear as many speakers as you can. Use very familiar music to audition with, and try to get as many different speakers involved as possible. If monophonic listening is an option, that will be the most revealing way to audition.

You also need to decide how many speakers you are wanting to implement, only 2? But in terms of budget, keep in mind that the more subwoofers you have, the easier it is to get even bass at all seats - I mention that because subs can get rather expensive, and that needs to be accounted for.

I've not heard the Q Acoustics, but they seem to get good reviews. The Marantz will be fine, but just keep future home theater upgrades in mind if you want to add surround sound, that's not what you will want to get.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis