M

mjaybird

Audiophyte
when 4K TV's come out what will replace blu-ray to hold all that data to get the 4K movies? Will we have disks to hold enough data for 4K TV's ? just was wondering what I will be buying next

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Blu-ray apparently has the capability to allow for 4K video to be put on it. This 4K standard I believe is being written up right now so that future players may be released which support a 4K standard on them while maintaining backwards compatibility with the current 1080p movies available.

I would not expect any new physical media format since people aren't exactly all over Blu-ray at this time in droves.

M

mjaybird

Audiophyte
so a blu-ray disk can hold 4K data. I want to see what a 1080P blu-ray looks upconverted into 4K.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The girl looks cute...........I'm sorry, what were saying about the TV?:eek::D

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
so a blu-ray disk can hold 4K data. I want to see what a 1080P blu-ray looks upconverted into 4K.
Depends on the up conversion. But all up conversion will introduce artifacts in visually demanding material such as diagonal lines etc. There is an excellent write up in Home Theater Magazine and from my read trhough thsi article, it still seems to be 2 - 3 years out. There are some 4K projectors from Sony and JVC that run a measely $25K and$12K respectively ;)

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The JVC RS55 and RS65 use an interpolation method to generate 4K resolution.

RS55: $7,9995 MSRP (About $5,995 street!)
RS65: $11,995 MSRP (About $7,995 street!)

So, lesser expensive 4K is on the market now, but without a true 4K source and the issues with humans rarely being able to SEE that much resolution, I'm looking at this as more of a marketing push than much else. Still, in a decade or so, as 8K products come out and consumers (foolishly) demand them, the 4K models will be passe.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
In order for 4K to matter, you will have to sit very close to your TV, or have a huge TV. If you have 20/20 vision, and sit only 8' from your TV, you need a TV slightly larger than 62" to see all of the detail of a 1080p picture. At 13', you need a 100" TV to see all of the detail of a 1080p picture. So the only way a higher resolution would matter is if your vision is better than 20/20 or you want a larger screen than those at such distances.

Here is a link to a calculator you can use:

HDTV Viewing Distance Calculator + Guide | Articles - Digital Digest

Frankly, most people have TVs that are too small for their viewing distances to see all of a 1080p picture, so any higher resolution for the vast majority of people would be a total waste.

And, as has already been mentioned, upconversion introduces undesirable artifacts, so you would need a higher resolution source to really benefit from a higher resolution screen.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You guys think 4K will enhance my Netflix experience?:eek:

The one thing, at least one, I'm disappointed in is that these 4k PJ don't even use LED.

So you spend $8,000 for a "4K" PJ that has like 300 Lumens calibrated, and then you spend like $600 every 2 years for the light bulb?:eek:

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
I just upgraded my 50 inch Plasma to a 65" Samsung Plasma, so I'm not going to be seeing 4k anytime soon either!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis