Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
So, basically getting a 55" 4K TV would be a bad idea? Being diabetic I do NOT have 20/20 vision. My glasses help, but still not 20/20. No need to spend money where it is not needed.
To be fair, there's more to UHD than just additional resolution. That said, I don't consider it worthwhile in your case to pay a big premium to be an early adopter.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Depends how far you sit from it. 55" 4k TV makes some sense from (and let's be generous) - 5-6t
I will be seated right at 8' 1.5" from my TV. So, 4K is NOT going to add much more than 1080P with a screen of 55"? Like I said, I am so out of my league when it comes to video. BTW, what is OLED? How will it impact 4K?

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
To be fair, there's more to UHD than just additional resolution. That said, I don't consider it worthwhile in your case to pay a big premium to be an early adopter.
I see. It does NOT sound like I would gain much, if any, going 4K. That is, unless I am willing to buy a much bigger TV. It really is NOT worth it to me to do that. Rather put my money into my speakers. Watching TV and/or movies is NOT that important to me. Thanks for the tips!

Cheers,

Phil

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I will be seated right at 8' 1.5" from my TV. So, 4K is NOT going to add much more than 1080P with a screen of 55"? Like I said, I am so out of my league when it comes to video. BTW, what is OLED? How will it impact 4K?

Cheers,

Phil
Correct. more than 8' and 55" screen - 4k would be mostly wasted, but other features of UHD may still be a benefit like extended color range and hdr - but these are still very very new.

Oled is type of panel, potentially replacing regular LED tv panels - it has amazing colors and unrivaled contrast by LED or plasma tvs.
The problem is at large sizes it gets to be very expensive to make due to low yields

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Correct. more than 8' and 55" screen - 4k would be mostly wasted, but other features of UHD may still be a benefit like extended color range and hdr - but these are still very very new.

Oled is type of panel, potentially replacing regular LED tv panels - it has amazing colors and unrivaled contrast by LED or plasma tvs.
The problem is at large sizes it gets to be very expensive to make due to low yields
I see. Sounds like I got much to learn about 4K period. Will start reading up on it more. Thanks for the info!

Cheers,

Phil

Cosmic Char

Cosmic Char

Audioholic
Thanks for the excellent explanation! I did buy a 40" monitor 4K for gaming, but I am 4 feet away at max. The detail is incredible!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Folks, seen where Sony just released some BR players, but none are 4K. That being said, it looks like Samsung is the ONLY one that has one. However, Philips is joining the party next month.

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/philips-ultra-hd-blu-ray-player-due-out-june#6P5jprthBoV3XGDU.97

My BR player is getting a bit clunky so I want to get a new one. But, I am NOT paying $400 for either the Samsung and/or the Philips. As such, what are my alternatives? Wait a bit longer for more 4K BR players to be released? Perhaps, even lowering prices to more reasonable levels? Or, opt for a new BR Player that up-scales to nearly 4K quality?

Also, want to get a 4K TV in the near future. Would it be wise to wait for the OLEDs to come down in price? Like maybe a Black Friday deal? Still a bit confused by the 4K TV out there now. That is, are the 4K LED TV's on their way out? I don't want to go buy a 4K LED TV when everything is merely going to OLEDs. Is that a good idea? Sorry folks, but I am a bit out of league when it comes to video. Appreciate any insights. Thanks!

BTW, what is the big deal with HDR? Is it something that I need to look for/be concerned with?

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Now I'm really confused. check this out: http://www.sony.com/electronics/blu-ray-disc-players/bdp-s6700

Now, my question revolves around the semantics here.

It's big point is "4k Upscaling" but does this play 4k discs in their native resolution?
Mark, I think that the Sony will upscale regular BR's disc to near 4k quality. Like you, I am still a bit confused as well. Maybe I just need to wait and see how this all turns out.

Cheers,

Phil

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I won't even consider it until Oppo makes a player. Even then, I'm not sure. I don't think anyone offers a TV that can make me upgrade my Panasonic plasma.

I was somewhat excited about high dynamic range. The problem is currently no TVs can put out enough light to benefit from it. IIRC, the best TV starts clipping at 70% brightness. Most of them don't make it that far.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I won't even consider it until Oppo makes a player. Even then, I'm not sure. I don't think anyone offers a TV that can make me upgrade my Panasonic plasma.

I was somewhat excited about high dynamic range. The problem is currently no TVs can put out enough light to benefit from it. IIRC, the best TV starts clipping at 70% brightness. Most of them don't make it that far.
Well, no matter what I can NOT afford an Oppo. Think it is wise for me to wait a bit longer and see what happens. Do hope to get a 4K BR player and/or a 4K OLED TV once prices come down. Plus, it gives me time to pay some things off as well.

Cheers,

Phil

Cosmic Char

Cosmic Char

Audioholic
I don't have enough room for a big enough screen size to ever benefit me. The only real world application is a projector to get the screen size large enough. That requires a dedicated, no natural light space, and that is not possible in my current living space.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
The Sony alluded to does not appear to play SACDs. OPPOs play SACDs, as well as multi-channel SACDs, sending HDMI digital output, or, using internal DSP, from RCA output.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Actually, I believe the Sony can do SACD, albeit via HDMI only. And, receivers with MC analog inputs are becoming harder and harder to find. And, at this point of the game, I don't see SACD as too major consideration for most people here. But, it is nice to have.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Actually, I believe the Sony can do SACD, albeit via HDMI only. And, receivers with MC analog inputs are becoming harder and harder to find. And, at this point of the game, I don't see SACD as too major consideration for most people here. But, it is nice to have.
Some of the Sony's do indeed do SACD via HDMI. I do not know however if any will play multi-channel. For me, SACD multi-channel play is most important. I believe, even with hi-res downloads now out there, there is still no format which exceeds SACD; and, so far, no audio downloads are multi-channel. And although there are HDMI to 5.1 analog converters out there today, I still appreciate the OPPOs conversion capability. So, the OPPO 105D will be my next purchase. If a 4K OPPO comes out to replace the 105D before I get my savings together, I'll get the 4K model.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I am selling my Xbox One to a buddy and buying the revised Xbox one Slim because it will include a 4k Blue Ray Player with HDR. For me, its like getting a 4k Player for under $200.00 after all is said and done, so I can live with that expense to play around with it until something good comes out :)

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I am selling my Xbox One to a buddy and buying the revised Xbox one Slim because it will include a 4k Blue Ray Player with HDR. For me, its like getting a 4k Player for under $200.00 after all is said and done, so I can live with that expense to play around with it until something good comes out :)
Good deal. So, the Xbox Slim is less than $400? If so, then this is one of those times that I wished I was a gamer.....LOL!!!!

Cheers,

Phil

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Sell the Xbox One for about 200 (Mine is the day one version with Kinect) buy the 2TB version for 399 so about 200 dollars gets me a 4k player.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Sell the Xbox One for about 200 (Mine is the day one version with Kinect) buy the 2TB version for 399 so about 200 dollars gets me a 4k player.
I see. So, it really is a good deal for you. I will get a 4K BR player once price come down to reality. The same goes for 4K TVs. No real hurry as far as I am concerned. Enjoy your new toy!

Cheers,

Phil

D

DanH72

Audiophyte
Guess what? You may want to stop excitedly jumping up and down until we know for certain this particular Xbox sends raw audio bitstreams (unlike the current iteration that only outputs converted PCM like the old "fat" PS3).

This is V-E-R-Y important for playing Dolby Atmos and DTS: X tracks from both Blu-ray and UHD Blu-ray discs. No bitstream capabilities? No immersive surround for you.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis